• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Churches

whoopingllama

imported post

Okay, going simply by the letter of Louisiana "law", is it or is it not legal to OC into a church where there is no school of any sort within a couple miles?

imported post

It's my theory any discussion of OC'ing should begin with the state constitution, article 1 sec 11. This is the supreme law of the state.
It clearly (at least to me) defines and purports to guarantee the right (not privilege) to bear arms.
I see NO exceptions for anything, zero, zilch, nada, including churches.
How can you possibly have any "act of the legislature" overriding that?

ManInBlack

imported post

This is assuming, of course, that the church allows weapons. Private property owners have the right to restrict carry.

I have a feeling that my local Roman Catholic parish would not be friendly to me walking in packing heat...it's sad, but the American Church leadership is very liberal these days.

whoopingllama

imported post

I have asked my pastor a couple of times now. I'm still waiting for a real reply. He's not the best at answering emails and such.

(that is not insult, he's admitted to it)

Jimmy Dean

imported post

Hmm MEM, I will have to mention that to him tomorrow. Currently Father Gary's policy toward me is no OCing of a firearm on Church grounds.

Would be difficult for me anyways, since I would have to park on church property, which only has 10 parking spots. since any other parking space nearby I am either on campus, and can sure as hell not carry there, or I will have to cross a street to get to the church, thereby violating the 1,000 ft from a school rule. (The 1,000 foot does not apply on ANY type of private property, including Churches or businesses, not just residences)

sraacke

imported post

Well, I'm atheist so I don't go to churchs often but when I do visit them for things such as weddings or funerals I always conceal carry. A few years back I was the best man in a friends wedding in Hammond. I conceal carried a 9mm, the groom had his snubby .38 and all of the groomsmen had concealed weapons under their tuxes. I'm not trusing my safety to anyone but myself. Churches are no safer than any other place. Banning guns in them makes no sense and I will continue to ignore any bad law which puts my life in danger.

OniLink2k2

imported post

Good question, OP.
If someone can find the law that states we can OC in churches I would be quite grateful. (Other than the private property thing, which I will ask my priest about.)

On a side, and a completely unrelated note:
Has anyone else ever felt like if someone came into their place of worship with a weapon and intent to kill, that you would be completely unprotected?
Even as a little kid I always imagined how that situation would go. I mean, mind you that there are noble people who would probably attack an armed gunman, but even then, how safe could you be?
I've always felt I needed more protection in my church.
(This is pretty dumb so it's ok if you ignore it... Lol.)

imported post

"Laws" don't tell you what you CAN do, they tell you what you CAN'T do. A right does not owe it's existence to anything the legislature did. If you read the state constitution, article 1, sec 11, it serves to PROTECT your right which owes nothing to the state.

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

yale wrote:
Well, I'm atheist so I don't go to churchs often but when I do visit them for things such as weddings or funerals I always conceal carry. A few years back I was the best man in a friends wedding in Hammond. I conceal carried a 9mm, the groom had his snubby .38 and all of the groomsmen had concealed weapons under their tuxes. I'm not trusing my safety to anyone but myself. Churches are no safer than any other place. Banning guns in them makes no sense and I will continue to ignore any bad law which puts my life in danger.
I hope you're speaking theoretically, of course. I wouldn't want to think someone was confessing to violating a state law on an open forum.;)