• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Booted from Safeway in Olympia

TechnoWeenie

imported post

I was walking around for a few minutes with my girlfriend, and approached an associate and asked if they price match, he said no, I thanked him then began walking away. I then noticed the manager rapidly walking directly towards me...

As she approached, I knew there were going to be questions, but from the look/demeanor/approach I shortly realized it wasn't going to be questions, more like an attack... I smiled and politely asked her 'how are you doing ma'am? what can I do for ya?'

Very aggresiivly (rudely?), she stammered out an almost incoherent demand, for PAPERS...yes.. papers.... to prove I was OK to carry a gun... I explained that in WA you don't need a permit to carry openly, only if you're carrying concealed, to which her response was 'yes, but I can see it', I pointed out, indeed, that it is the case, which means It's completely legal without a permit, which seemed to confuse her. I then explained to her that safeway follows the gun laws of the state the store is in, to which she said she didn't care, that she was the manager, and she could do what she wanted.. She then DEMANDED I show her my 'gun permit', I reiterated that the law didn't require me to have one, but I explained the limitation of not having a loaded firearm in your vehicle, and explained that I did indeed have one.. She again demanded to see it.. (not asked....demanded).... She seemed to relax when I told her I had a permit, and in the hope of putting the 'misunderstanding' behind us, I held the permit out in a way that obscured my name/address, but was clearly legible as a 'concealed pistol license'.... She then went on the attack again, exclaiming that she had a 'permit' too, and you CAN'T carry like that, concealed means noone can see it, etc... I again attempted to politely explain the law and was interrupted (again).

She then went on a rant about how 'in these times' and how her employees were scared to death someone was going to rob them... I tried explaining about how I was open carrying, and FBI statistics in relation to crimes involving holsters, and asking her how many times she's been robbed by a couple shopping, but I couldn't get a word in edgewise, I was told 'you're not even in uniform, you can't do that!', when I asked her what a uniform had to do with it she explained that she wouldn't be scared if an officer had a gun on his belt, so I asked her why she's scared of ME, and she said 'because I don't know you!'.. I tried to say 'but you don't know the officer either', but I was again rudely cut off... I was then told that if I 'was trying to be a cop or something' to do it somewhere else, then she said she would call the police...

I obliged her, and said that was fine, and asked if the police said it was legal that she would let me stay and shop, her response was 'this is private property, I don't have to listen to what the police say, I'm the manager'..For the fifth or six time she alluded to the fact that she didn't want anyone openly carrying a gun 'in her store' unless it was accompanied with a badge and a uniform.. I asked her for a card, which she declined, and again mentioned that she didn't want someone with a gun in her store, I formally asked her if she was asking me to leave, she said yes, I made a point to use her full name as I said 'Thank you' and left.. She was pretty smug/self righteous/disrespectful/etc the entire time she was berating me, refusing to tell anything but 'I'm the manager' but it changed when I mentioned her name... Name tags with your full name on them rock, I gotta tell you...

Pure ignorance......rude.. disrespectful... implying I was trying to act like a cop.. etc etc...

I'll be calling corporate first thing in the morning....

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Creepy... I was working at that store today and wondered if I might see you there. Very creepy.

On the other hand, sounds like you had a pretty sucky experience. I for one would not have argued much or given stats, or anything like that. Just gotten her name, confirm if she wanted you off the property and then left.

What time were you there BTW?

TechnoWeenie

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Creepy...  I was working at that store today and wondered if I might see you there.  Very creepy. 

On the other hand, sounds like you had a pretty sucky experience.  I for one would not have argued much or given stats, or anything like that.  Just gotten her name, confirm if she wanted you off the property and then left.

What time were you there BTW?

I was there ~2045

She approached me with a very annoyed 'how dare you?!' attitude, I figured I'd attempt to smooth her over and educate...

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Ahhh, well I was long gone then.
Figure store managers are like cops. No sense in trying to educate them while they are that angry with you. Just take your lumps and then speak with their boss. I hope it works out for you. Safeway is a pretty professional organization.

Wheelgunner

imported post

My response would have been more graphic, comparing her to a female canine doing a sex act on me using three short words comes to mind.

Can you believe that in this age a private person thinks that they can come up to you and demand to "see your papers". A Nazi salute and compliance at the top of your voice might also be in order.

A blistering letter to Corporate with documentation will work in this case, but I can dream, can't I?

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

Yup, I'd be definitely calling and writing to corporate. I have NEVER had a problem at any Safeway I've OC'd in.

I'd make sure to point out the helpful and seemingly un-"scared to death" associate you dealt with just prior to her flipping the b!tch switch.

As far as trying to educate, my experience is once they are spun up there really isn't much point.

Keep us posted on any reply you get from Safeway HQ...

David.Car

imported post

911Boss wrote:
Yup, I'd be definitely calling and writing to corporate. I have NEVER had a problem at any Safeway I've OC'd in.
The way you were treated was totally uncalled for and she was enforcing her own rules, not that of Safeway.

Get on the phone with safeway corporate and tell them how you were treated and they will set things straight real quick.

compmanio365

imported post

That is too weird, I have had no issues with OC in any Safeway I've ever been in. No matter how much she demanded to see "my papers" I would have told her to shove it, that not even a police officer can demand to see my "papers" while OCing, and certainly not some store manager with a Nazi complex. I would have told her that corporate policy for Safeway is quite clear about following state law, and therefore, the people that really OWN the store have said my carry is quite OK, and would have bid her good day right then and there, and finished my shopping. If she wanted to call the police and make a further scene, then so be it, then I'd have a real case to bring to corporate and my lawyer as well........I try to be extra cordial to others when OCing, but if it's clear to me that from the start the person wants to fight, like it was in this case, I'll stand my ground, push right back as far as the law lets me. Being "nice" isn't going to get you anywhere with those people; they've already made up their mind about you before they ever hear you talk.

mkl

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
....then I'd have a real case to bring to corporate and my lawyer as well........

What case would you have against corporate with your lawyer? Do you think it's illegal to change their store policy whenever they want? Do you think it's illegal for a manager to enforce a policy that exceeds or is in disagreement with the corporate policy? I don't understand what law you think a manager would be breaking that you could sue over.

compmanio365

imported post

mkl wrote:
compmanio365 wrote:
....then I'd have a real case to bring to corporate and my lawyer as well........

What case would you have against corporate with your lawyer? Do you think it's illegal to change their store policy whenever they want? Do you think it's illegal for a manager to enforce a policy that exceeds or is in disagreement with the corporate policy? I don't understand what law you think a manager would be breaking that you could sue over.

Not law, that would be a criminal matter that I would bring up to a prosecutor. It would be a civil matter to sue for damages caused by the manager by publicly embarrassing me and others by causing a scene with the police, etc, when there needed to be none. Would I sue the lady? Probably not. But if there's one thing I've learned it's that people suddenly get a lot more cooperative once letters start coming in on official letterhead with my lawyer's name on it.......I'd settle for a written apology from her, or barring that,a writtenapology from Safeway corporate that included the fact that the lady was no longer the manager of that store......not looking for money, just for a lesson learned......and if that lesson has to include the manager losing her job because she refuses to admit she was way out of line and completely unacceptable.....so be it.

PS - If you think this is really wild, a similar situation to the OP happened to myself and others on Sound Transit a while back.....it cost the supervisor that was acting the same way as this lady his job......so don't think it can't or won't happen.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
mkl wrote:
compmanio365 wrote:

Not law, that would be a criminal matter that I would bring up to a prosecutor.  It would be a civil matter to sue for damages caused by the manager by publicly embarrassing me and others by causing a scene with the police, etc, when there needed to be none.  Would I sue the lady?  Probably not.  But if there's one thing I've learned it's that people suddenly get a lot more cooperative once letters start coming in on official letterhead with my lawyer's name on it.......I'd settle for a written apology from her, or barring that, a written apology from Safeway corporate that included the fact that the lady was no longer the manager of that store......not looking for money, just for a lesson learned......and if that lesson has to include the manager losing her job because she refuses to admit she was way out of line and completely unacceptable.....so be it.

PS - If you think this is really wild, a similar situation to the OP happened to myself and others on Sound Transit a while back.....it cost the supervisor that was acting the same way as this lady his job......so don't think it can't or won't happen.

He got fired?

shad0wfax

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
compmanio365 wrote:

He got fired?
So it would seem.

mkl

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
  It would be a civil matter to sue for damages caused by the manager by publicly embarrassing me and others by causing a scene with the police, etc, when there needed to be none. 

You think you can bring a civil suit (and have any standing) for refusing to leave when you have been told to by someone who is managing a property to leave for breaking their rules?

So if I come into your business, break their rules, and refuse to leave, I can sue and win? Sounds good. I think you're off base though.

compmanio365

imported post

mkl wrote:
compmanio365 wrote:
It would be a civil matter to sue for damages caused by the manager by publicly embarrassing me and others by causing a scene with the police, etc, when there needed to be none.

You think you can bring a civil suit (and have any standing) for refusing to leave when you have been told to by someone who is managing a property to leave for breaking their rules?

So if I come into your business, break their rules, and refuse to leave, I can sue and win? Sounds good. I think you're off base though.

No, that's not what I'm saying at all. Quit trying to cause an issue where there is none. I wouldn't be "breaking their rules" because Safeway corporate policy is to mirror state law....that manager doesn't OWN the store at all, and must abide by the corporate policy of Safeway. Her actions are completely in the wrong, by Safeway's own WRITTEN POLICIES! How much clearer can I make this for you?

So her telling me to leave has no more weight behind it than the guy running the shopping cart mover out in the parking lot, because both of them are bound by the policies laid down by upper management, whom actually OWNS the property I'm on. She can call the police, and you know what? They'll probablymake me leave. But she'll have to pay for her actions later on, one way or another.

Again, would I sue? Most likely not, there'd just be a lot of correspondence between me, my lawyer, and Safeway corporate. In the end, if there was a new manager at that Safeway, one that understood corporate policy and didn't unnecessarily harass and embarrass customers, I'd be happy with that. But if the lady decided she had to call in the SWAT team because I wasn't willing to bend over and follow her orders for "PAPERS!!!11!", then yeah, someone is going to pay for my public embarrassment and time spent dealing with the police. Don't sit there trying to be all righteous and higher than thou, and say you wouldn't do the same, cause we all know that's BS.

Oh, and yes, I confirmed that the person we all had to deal with from Sound Transit in Tacoma was let go some time ago; heard this straight from the head of operations there in Tacoma. ST was quite apologetic about the trouble we experienced, once they actually got back to me....probably were waiting on feedback from their legal department.

mkl

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
No, that's not what I'm saying at all.  Quit trying to cause an issue where there is none.  I wouldn't be "breaking their rules" because Safeway corporate policy is to mirror state law....that manager doesn't OWN the store at all, and must abide by the corporate policy of Safeway.  Her actions are completely in the wrong, by Safeway's own WRITTEN POLICIES!  How much clearer can I make this for you? 

You need to make it much clearer I think, because it still doesn't sound correct. You are saying you can sue Safeway because one of their employee didn't follow the Safeway written policies? I don't understand how you think you can sue. Safeway policies aren't laws, they can break them all they want.
Now it sounds like what you are saying is you believe that legally a Safeway manager does not have the AUTHORITY to ask you to leave the store, is that what you are saying?

compmanio365

imported post

mkl wrote:
compmanio365 wrote:
No, that's not what I'm saying at all. Quit trying to cause an issue where there is none. I wouldn't be "breaking their rules" because Safeway corporate policy is to mirror state law....that manager doesn't OWN the store at all, and must abide by the corporate policy of Safeway. Her actions are completely in the wrong, by Safeway's own WRITTEN POLICIES! How much clearer can I make this for you?

You need to make it much clearer I think, because it still doesn't sound correct. You are saying you can sue Safeway because one of their employee didn't follow the Safeway written policies? I don't understand how you think you can sue. Safeway policies aren't laws, they can break them all they want.
Now it sounds like what you are saying is you believe that legally a Safeway manager does not have the AUTHORITY to ask you to leave the store, is that what you are saying?
Correct, that manager would not have the authority to ask me to leave the store, by their own stated corporate policy. And no, I'm not talking about suing Safeway, but the manager herself.....she is acting alone if she would call the police against the company's stated policies. Safeway, as a company, would have nothing to do with it.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

John Hardin wrote:
Wheelgunner wrote:
A blistering letter to Corporate with documentation will work in this case
Techno, please tell us you recorded the conversation... No way that was private.

Ironically, the first night in about a yr. that I forget to take it with me....

ETA:

The #%)& is getting deeper.... The District manager is scheduled to call me later today...

I called the store, found out that she's NOT 'the' manager, but one of them, so she lied to me, in addition to everything else... I talked to the store owner, who JUSt got his CPL a few weeks ago, and promised that it would be adressed.. he echoed the 'we're located in a liberal area, so I'd ask you to conceal as well' mentality, but was in 100% agreement that she was way out of line. I asked him about upholding corporate policy, and while he didn't say he would kick me out, he emphasized about a dozen times that he would ask me to conceal, and would 'suggest' I do so when I'm in the store, 'for the sake of the other customers'.. I offered to bring in pamphlets/brochures/etc..about the law, even have a police officer come with me to explain the law, things to look out for instead of just 'a gun', etc. but I was shot down numerous times.. I told him I wanted to educate, to PREVENT this from happening again, and if his employees/customers realized it was legal, and the reasons behind it, and not just 'some guy with a gun', that they might feel more confident and safer with the knowledge that everything is alright.. Instead, his mentality seemed to be one more of 'if you avoid the issue , there won't be one'...... The message I seemed to get from him was..'our employee was totally out of line, but you shouldn't have been carrying openly'... He was very polite, understanding, etc but I don't think avoidance is the proper procedure here..

So... I'll be talking to the DM shortly...

ChuckUFarley

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
John Hardin wrote:
Wheelgunner wrote:
A blistering letter to Corporate with documentation will work in this case
Techno, please tell us you recorded the conversation... No way that was private.

Ironically, the first night in about a yr. that I forget to take it with me....

ETA:

The #%)& is getting deeper.... The District manager is scheduled to call me later today...

I called the store, found out that she's NOT 'the' manager, but one of them, so she lied to me, in addition to everything else... I talked to the store owner, who JUSt got his CPL a few weeks ago, and promised that it would be adressed.. he echoed the 'we're located in a liberal area, so I'd ask you to conceal as well' mentality, but was in 100% agreement that she was way out of line. I asked him about upholding corporate policy, and while he didn't say he would kick me out, he emphasized about a dozen times that he would ask me to conceal, and would 'suggest' I do so when I'm in the store, 'for the sake of the other customers'.. I offered to bring in pamphlets/brochures/etc..about the law, even have a police officer come with me to explain the law, things to look out for instead of just 'a gun', etc. but I was shot down numerous times.. I told him I wanted to educate, to PREVENT this from happening again, and if his employees/customers realized it was legal, and the reasons behind it, and not just 'some guy with a gun', that they might feel more confident and safer with the knowledge that everything is alright.. Instead, his mentality seemed to be one more of 'if you avoid the issue , there won't be one'...... The message I seemed to get from him was..'our employee was totally out of line, but you shouldn't have been carrying openly'... He was very polite, understanding, etc but I don't think avoidance is the proper procedure here..

So... I'll be talking to the DM shortly...

I would have requested an apology from the "manager" when i was talking to the store owner, when you talk to the DM i would also request an apology from this lady, and not a written one, i would request she apologize in the same manner which she berated you.