• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Trip is looming closer

amaenza

imported post

Well, my trip is coming closer, in the event I do not receive a valid ccw before then, could anyone point me to some statutes/papers that would be worthwhile to print out and carry around in the event of an altercation with a LEO?

I keep seeing a Klein case mentioned, as well as a letter from the AG that was supposed to be sent around.

I would greatly appreciate links to where I could find these for a quick pocket reference.

Thanks!
Tony

Legba

imported post

I wouldn't bother with the documentation.I tried - to no avail - to direct the police to some printouts I had when they stopped me about a year ago. They were not only not interested, but they got quite hostile that I presumed to tell them the law. Nevermind that they were wrong... Argue your case at court if it comes to that.

-ljp

amaenza

imported post

That's the problem. I live in Kansas.

Traveling back and forth for court etc would be really difficult.

I'm almost tempted not to carry at all, and it is crap that I should feel that way over something I have the right to do.

Deanimator

imported post

Legba wrote:
I wouldn't bother with the documentation.I tried - to no avail - to direct the police to some printouts I had when they stopped me about a year ago. They were not only not interested, but they got quite hostile that I presumed to tell them the law. Nevermind that they were wrong... Argue your case at court if it comes to that.

-ljp
If he dots all of his is and crosses all of his ts, OFFERING them the actual law and being refused is evidence of them acting outside of the normal scope of their duties. If somebody wants to turn himself into a legal pinata, I say spring for the rope and the stick.

Deanimator

imported post

amaenza wrote:
That's the problem. I live in Kansas.

Traveling back and forth for court etc would be really difficult.

I'm almost tempted not to carry at all, and it is crap that I should feel that way over something I have the right to do.
There's no harm whatever in going to the Ohio AG's website and downloading the CCW handbook. You probably won't have any trouble, but if you do, nobody can say they didn't have the applicable information handed to them. If somebody wants to sign their home over to me, I'll buy them a $200 fountain pen to do it with and consider it money well spent.

amaenza

imported post

Does the ccw handbook cover open carry laws as well?

I am unsure if I will be able to get the out of state permit I sent off for in time for my trip.