Thread: Whitehall Borough PD Sergeant incident

Pittsburgh (Beechview), Pennsylvania, USA

Post imported post

So yeah... the cover letter pretty much says it all. Only my second "negative" encounter. Why is it that the smaller PD's are the ones that cause more problems?

Anyway, I'm sending them a training memo, and this is the cover letter. (Thanks Greg and Rich for helping edit it!)

11-04-2008

Chief Donald Dolfi
    Whitehall Borough Police
    100 Borough Park Dr
    Pittsburgh, PA 15236

Chief Dolfi,

On Thursday, October 30th at approximately 16:45, I had a disturbing interaction with one of your patrol sergeants. I had witnessed a motor vehicle accident in the 4400 block of Rt-51 and during the process of providing my contact information and statement to the reporting officer, your sergeant (who's name I neglected to obtain) observed that I was carrying a firearm openly in a holster on my hip, as I do every day.

As you are probably aware, and as the attached training memo explains, open carry of a firearm by persons not prohibited from owning said firearm is legal in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

Your sergeant made reference to the firearm and stated that "your permit says concealed, which means you must keep it concealed" or words to that effect. When I politely disagreed with him, stating that the word "concealed" appears nowhere on a Pa. LTCF (License to Carry Firearms), and that controlling case law affirms the legality of open carry, he responded in a very threatening tone that I "don't want to push this" and to "pull my shirt over the gun."

At that point we parted ways; but even after thinking about this over the weekend I am still disturbed by the implied threat that was made.

Please bring this training memo to the attention of the sergeant involved, as well as the rest of your command and patrol officers so as to avoid the possibility of complaints, civil or even criminal legal action against your department should one of your officers illegally detain a citizen for open carry of a firearm.

If an officer were to illegally detain a citizen or, under threat of arrest, order them to cover their weapon they could not only face citizen complaints against them, they could also face charges under 18 PaCS §5301 (relating to official oppression) or under 42 USC §1983 (relating to deprivation of rights).

I appreciate your attention to this matter, and look forward to hearing from you regarding it. If you have any questions, or would like to meet for a discussion regarding the growing open carry movement in Pennsylvania, I would be happy to at your convenience.

Respectfully

Andrew Koch
    Enclosures: 1 (Pa Open Carry Training Memo, 4 pages)

Post imported post

Very professional letter - it will be interesting to hear about any reply you receive.

Post imported post

Renegade wrote:
    Very professional letter - it will be interesting to hear about any reply you receive.
    I will, of course, post any response I get.

Post imported post

Renegade wrote:
    likewise . . .

Post imported post

tdyoung58 wrote:
    Renegade wrote:
    likewise . . .
    +1

Post imported post

Very nicely done. I hope you get a reply.

Post imported post

I forgot to post this, I got the Return Receipt back yesterday. We'll see if the Chief has anything to say...

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

Very nice letter, my only comment would have been to put a time frame for a response. Write something like.....Please respond within 5 business days. Otherwise you are leaving it open that you want a response at all. I hope to hear from you leaves it wide-open.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Post imported post

Venator wrote:
    Very nice letter, my only comment would have been to put a time frame for a response. Write something like.....Please respond within 5 business days. Otherwise you are leaving it open that you want a response at all. I hope to hear from you leaves it wide-open.
    I'll keep that in mind for the next time I have to write something like this up. I'm sure it'll happen again!

Post imported post

I just got a voice mail message from Chief Dolfi!

The gist of it was that he appreciated my letter and the information that I've provided, and that he would be bringing it to the attention of his officers. He also mentioned that information on Open Carry is being added to the 2009 Municipal Police Officer Training Curriculum!

I don't know how much stock to put in this, but if it's true, it's great news!

And it's great that the Chief actually got back to me!

I feel all giddy now

Post imported post

yay! Good work. ^_^ *highpaw*
    Gays are prominent members of firearm rights, we do more via the courts, don't like it? Leave.
    Religious bigots against same sex marriage are not different than white supremacists.
    I expel anti-gay people off my teams. Tolerance is key to team cohesion and team building.

Post imported post

lildobe wrote:
    I just got a voice mail message from Chief Dolfi!

The gist of it was that he appreciated my letter and the information that I've provided, and that he would be bringing it to the attention of his officers. He also mentioned that information on Open Carry is being added to the 2009 Municipal Police Officer Training Curriculum!

I don't know how much stock to put in this, but if it's true, it's great news!

And it's great that the Chief actually got back to me!

I feel all giddy now
    Hi, I know this is a bit late (heh, there'sa lot to readfor a new member here on OC.org)but wow! That is good news. Nice work on the letter.

When I see or read responses like this I regain trust and respect for our law enforcement institutions. Their ranks do indeed include manywhoreally do wish to Serve & Protect.

Kudos to Chief Dolfi.

Let's keep an eye out for this in 2009.

Post imported post

Hmmm......I wonder if that means they will discuss open carry as part of the yearly MPOETC training updates for every officer in PA?

Post imported post

Steve in PA wrote:
    Hmmm......I wonder if that means they will discuss open carry as part of the yearly MPOETC training updates for every officer in PA?
    We can only hope, Steve!

Turtle Creek (outside of Pittsburgh), Pennsylvania, USA

Post imported post

Let's Hope so...