• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First LEO encounter

PolskiG

imported post

So the city is currently tearing the street up outside the gate ofmy condo complex. I usaully park on the street, butbecause of the work I had to park across the street in a mall parking lot.

I parked my car and walked straight toward the street to cross it in front of my gate. I looked to my left and saw a trooper standing about 15 yards away at the cross walk, which is not directly facing my residence.I figured if I crossed the street where I was and he saw my doing it while OCing he get me for armed j-walking or illegallycrossing with a deadly weaponor something.

So I had no choice butto starting walking up towards him. As I did that he started walking down towards me. As soon aswe got about 10 yards from each other I saw him squint his eyes at my H&K, I saw the look that hemadewhich seemed to me that he wasconfirming to himself that I was carrying a gun, I tensedup a little but as soon as we were next to eachother, him onmy strongside, he simplyasked"how you doing?" Ireplied, "great." That was it... we kept walking and he never flinched. I crossedat the crosswalk light, walked back down the street to my gate with my strong side facing the trooper again (atthispointhe was standingin the middle of the road in the general areathat I wanted to cross "illegally") and... end of story,YaY!

just_a_car

imported post

An officer and a gentleman.

I wish there was some way we could send in compliments for their file (other than stopping them and asking their name) for doing the right thing and respecting our rights.

Tawnos

imported post

PolskiG wrote:

So the city is currently tearing the street up outside the gate ofmy condo complex. I usaully park on the street, butbecause of the work I had to park across the street in a mall parking lot.

I parked my car and walked straight toward the street to cross it in front of my gate. I looked to my left and saw a trooper standing about 15 yards away at the cross walk, which is not directly facing my residence.I figured if I crossed the street where I was and he saw my doing it while OCing he get me for armed j-walking or illegallycrossing with a deadly weaponor something.

So I had no choice butto starting walking up towards him. As I did that he started walking down towards me. As soon aswe got about 10 yards from each other I saw him squint his eyes at my H&K, I saw the look that hemadewhich seemed to me that he wasconfirming to himself that I was carrying a gun, I tensedup a little but as soon as we were next to eachother, him onmy strongside, he simplyasked"how you doing?" Ireplied, "great." That was it... we kept walking and he never flinched. I crossedat the crosswalk light, walked back down the street to my gate with my strong side facing the trooper again (atthispointhe was standingin the middle of the road in the general areathat I wanted to cross "illegally") and... end of story,YaY!
Sounds about right :). Where are you, 110th Ave NE between 4th and 8th (by Sushiya)? or up by 10th St on 108th Ave? I'm on 110th Ave SE and Main, walk around the area OC quite a bit (often to sushiya). So far, no problem, most seem to ignore it, none have confronted me.

I think you make a good point, though, regarding jaywalking. When OCing it's more important than normal to follow the law strictly. It means that situations where we'd otherwise be loose, you'd have to be viligant and law abiding. Interesting, that.

PolskiG

imported post

Tawnos wrote:
PolskiG wrote: Sounds about right :). Where are you, 110th Ave NE between 4th and 8th (by Sushiya)? or up by 10th St on 108th Ave? I'm on 110th Ave SE and Main, walk around the area OC quite a bit (often to sushiya). So far, no problem, most seem to ignore it, none have confronted me.

I think you make a good point, though, regarding jaywalking. When OCing it's more important than normal to follow the law strictly. It means that situations where we'd otherwise be loose, you'd have to be viligant and law abiding. Interesting, that.
No, South BellevueFactoria Blvd area

Tawnos

imported post

Ah, I was thinking city proper :)

There have been lots of officers standing around the construction areas. Not sure why, but they're there.

PolskiG

imported post

Tawnos wrote:

There have been lots of officers standing around the construction areas. Not sure why, but they're there.
Show of power, stolentax money gotta go somewhere. Hiel Hitler

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

PolskiG wrote:
Tawnos wrote:

Wow, that is a pretty uncalled for statement.

My guess is WSP working to direct traffic on STATE projects?

joeroket

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
PolskiG wrote:
Tawnos wrote:

I agree. That comment was very uncalled for.

The state contracts usually require a WSP to be on site, especially if it is night work.

j2l3

imported post

Also, the wages for officers at the construction zones are typically paid by the construction folks, not the agency they work for. Same if a city officer is working traffic control at a garage or construction site.

I work in downtown Seattle and most grarages have officers assisting during evening rush hour to keep traffic flowing yet still allowing cars out of the garages. I know the companies who own or lease the garages pay the hourly wages of the officers posted there. It is not taxpayer funded activity.

twest17

imported post

PolskiG wrote:
wow... you obviously have never worked on the street. A lot of drivers are rediculous around work zones. Police presence helps slow down the drivers and keep the workers safe.

Tawnos

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
PolskiG wrote:
Tawnos wrote:

No traffic direction going on, but I think a later comment might have hit it: keeps drivers a bit more tame, even if the officer is just standing there (not in car or on bike).

just_a_car

imported post

Shy_Panda wrote:
PolskiG wrote
Ah, Godwin's Law Strikes again. Bwahahaha
Neat; I'd never heard of Godwin's Law before. I've seen and read up on Reductio ad Hitlerum/Nazium, but hadn't seen that Law before. I think we proved Godwin's Law looooong before I ever joined this forum and I know we proved it well before this post.

jchen012

imported post

I too have noticed alot of road work. I live in Old Bellevue on 100th and Main and there is a new condo building going up on Main and there is always a Bellevue officer there.

phiche92

imported post

These officers are off duty employed by a private contractor tocontrol traffic in work zones. Their presence is required whenever a contractor is working in or near a signalized intersection as a regular flagger is not allowed to direct traffic at these locations. The compensation they receiveis paid by the contractor and is included in their bid for the work. Most of the work you see going on is either private development or work for utility company's.

I have spoken to many of these officers and none seem to have a problem with open carry it's just not a common thing they see allot of, they do however know that it's not illegal. And I've yet to find one that thought private citizens should not have guns. They have told me that when they stop someone with a CPL they are the last people they worry about being violent.

I have witnessed them take many drunks off the road that screw up trying to navigate thru construction zones. I do allot of night work and have seen wrong way drivers, drivers run flagggers stop signs, drive into work areas and last night a driver doing 110 MPH northbound I-405 drunk. 405 was down to one lane north for road work. The driver exited @ SE. 8th into another work zone ran the red light and was pulled over by the park and ride.

PolskiG

imported post

whoa! I leave for a day and this happens? Jeeze people, I was commenting on parts ofthe statement made by Tawnos about:

"There have been lots of officers standing around the construction areas. Not sure why, but they're there."

Merely a joke about police-states and misappropriated tax spending. Instead of trying to fix the core problem of society which is strengthing familiesbonds and values, we just put more and more police on the streets, thats gonna help. I wasn't even talking about WSP and construction sites in my second comment, just his/hers, "lots of officers" and "not sure why they're there"thingys.I guess no one got it.

I apologize and retract my Hitlercomment.

Praise Allah--(I think you're right with the spelling, thanks)

Derka

imported post

PolskiG wrote:

Praise Alla

I believe it is spelled "Allah", but I may be wrong. But more importantly, what are you trying to say by saying "God" in another language?

The Hitler comment made some sense and I understand the point you were trying to make with it. Although, now going in the direction of Islam, especially with our new president and how sensitive the media was with that subject, I don't see anything relevant to the argument and must assume you are just trying to stir up emotions. Am I off base here?

Wheelgunner

imported post

Praise Alla

I believe it is spelled "Allah", but I may be wrong. But more importantly, what are you trying to say by saying "God" in another language?

If you had spent the night with her you would be praising Alla too.

Never met the other guy!

PolskiG

imported post

Derka wrote:
PolskiG wrote:

Praise Alla

The Hitler comment made some sense and I understand the point you were trying to make with it. Although, now going in the direction of Islam, especially with our new president and how sensitive the media was with that subject, I don't see anything relevant to the argument and must assume you are just trying to stir up emotions. Am I off base here?

No, not really. I'm the kind of person that likes to push the limits a little oncein awhile, thats all. I'm assuming since your name is "Derka" you hale from the middle east, no?If you are is"Derka" a racist word? I've always wondered.

Saying "God" in another language is just saying "God" in another language. I learned it from Rossetta Stone, shesaid it was ok.