• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can You Open Carry While Hunting during Muzzleloader season?

hometheaterman

imported post

Can you open carry legally while hunting during muzzle loading season? I know I've read that you can't during bow season but what about muzzle loading season?

mobeewan

imported post

As far as I know, when hunting, handguns may only be open carriedwhen and where they are allowedto be used tohunt with.

Concealed handguns may be carried during any hunting season provided you have a CHP. See info below in red. Info below is from the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries web site.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/general.asp

Legal Use of Firearms and Archery Equipment

Special restrictions may apply to specific firearms use in some counties. See Local Firearms Ordinances for details.

No restrictions on shot size except for spring gobbler season when it is unlawful to have any shot in possession larger than number 2 fine shot while hunting.

Shotguns must not be larger than 10 gauge.

Unplugged shotguns are legal for hunting non-migratory game.

Shotgun barrels must be at least 18 inches long.

Shotguns with rifled barrels are permitted in areas where slugs may be used.

All game birds and animals, except deer, may be hunted with shotguns from boats. Hunters must have permission from the landowner to hunt/ retrieve game located on private land.

Rifles used for deer or bear must be .23 caliber or larger.

Rifles may be used for taking wild animals and birds, except migratory game birds and waterfowl, and where prohibited by local ordinances.

Rifles, pistols, and revolvers may be used for hunting crows, except where prohibited by local ordinances.

Rifles, pistols, and revolvers may be used for hunting turkeys, except where prohibited by local ordinances.

Pistols, revolvers and muzzleloading pistols may be used for small game except where prohibited by local ordinances.

Muzzleloading shotguns, muzzleloading rifles or archery tackle may be used to hunt during the firearms seasons where not prohibited.

Pistols and revolvers are lawful for deer and bear hunting only in those counties where hunting deer and bear with rifles is lawful. Cartridges used must be .23 caliber or larger and have a manufacturer's rating of 350 foot-pounds muzzle energy or more.

Concealed handguns may be in the possession of hunters during the archery and muzzleloading seasons when they also possess a valid concealed handgun permit. Such handguns may not be used to shoot wild animals during these seasons.

Archery tackle may be used for hunting wild birds and animals.

Crossbows are legal to use by any hunter.
- If a crossbow is used during an archery season (including the urban archery season) the hunter must have a crossbow license.
- If a hunter chooses to use both conventional archery tackle and a crossbow during an archery season, they will need both an archery license when using the conventional bow and a crossbow license when using the crossbow.
- If a hunter chooses to use a crossbow during the firearms season, no crossbow license will be required (just as there is no requirement for a person to have an archery license if using conventional archery equipment during the firearms season).
- The laws governing the use of archery tackle also apply to crossbow tackle.

Table

imported post

Talking to a game warden buddy, he said that it is best to carry a handgun with more then 350 foot pounds of pressure. Basically, if you have a gun and it's loaded, you are hunting... .357, 9mm+P are two that fit the bill.

sitedzn

imported post

Not sure on the legality, but I do it anyhow. 1 quick tug on the shirt tail and I'd be CCing (with CHP). Besides, I couldn't hit a barn at 50 yd with my pistol, but my ML 45 sabot I could hit a dime!