• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Maryland's Version of Open Carry

dyver1

imported post

Went to Cunningham Falls State Park in Thurmont Maryland on Columbus Day with my kids. We took the "long way" through the woods up to the falls and it was a beautiful day for a hike.

I of course left my firearm unloaded and locked up in the truck, out of reach so as not to be in violation of any laws since Maryland does not recognize my CHP from Virginia.

While up at the falls saw 2 young men engaged in a different king of Open Carry.

The picture below about says it all.

2996714046_87f7c36d5a.jpg

Sonora Rebel

imported post

? No biggie... I used to carrya military machete and Ka-Bar knife when campin' around MD. Carried other stuff on the Appalachian trail too.No popo's, rangers or much else around. I've never even encountered a Ranger past the paved roads. 'Same in the Patapsaco River Valley.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

[font="Times New Roman, Times"] 4-101. Dangerous weapons.[/font] [font="Times New Roman, Times"][/font]
[font="Times New Roman, Times"](a) Definitions.- [/font]
[font="Times New Roman, Times"](1) In this section the following words have the meanings indicated. (2) "Nunchaku" means a device constructed of two pieces of any substance, including wood, metal, or plastic, connected by any chain, rope, leather, or other flexible material not exceeding 24 inches in length. [/font]
[font="Times New Roman, Times"](3) (i) "Pepper mace" means an aerosol propelled combination of highly disabling irritant pepper-based products. [/font]
[font="Times New Roman, Times"](ii) "Pepper mace" is also known as oleoresin capsicum (o.c.) spray. [/font]
[font="Times New Roman, Times"](4) "Star knife" means a device used as a throwing weapon, consisting of several sharp or pointed blades arrayed as radially disposed arms about a central disk. [/font]
[font="Times New Roman, Times"](5) (i) "Weapon" includes a dirk knife, bowie knife, switchblade knife, star knife, sandclub, metal knuckles, razor, and nunchaku. [/font]
[font="Times New Roman, Times"](ii) "Weapon" does not include: [/font]
[font="Times New Roman, Times"]1. a handgun; or [/font]
[font="Times New Roman, Times"]2. a penknife without a switchblade. [/font]
[font="Times New Roman, Times"][/font]
[font="Times New Roman, Times"](b) Exceptions for certain individuals.- This section does not prohibit the following individuals from carrying a weapon: [/font]
[font="Times New Roman, Times"](1) an officer of the State, or of any county or municipal corporation of the State, who is entitled or required to carry the weapon as part of the officer's official equipment, or by any conservator of the peace, who is entitled or required to carry the weapon as part of the conservator's official equipment, or by any officer or conservator of the peace of another state who is temporarily in this State; [/font]
[font="Times New Roman, Times"](2) a special agent of a railroad; [/font]
[font="Times New Roman, Times"](3) a holder of a permit to carry a handgun issued under Title 5, Subtitle 3 of the Public Safety Article; or [/font]
[font="Times New Roman, Times"](4) an individual who carries the weapon as a reasonable precaution against apprehended danger, subject to the right of the court in an action arising under this section to judge the reasonableness of the carrying of the weapon, and the proper occasion for carrying it, under the evidence in the case. [/font]
[font="Times New Roman, Times"](c) Prohibited.- [/font]
[font="Times New Roman, Times"](1) A person may not wear or carry a dangerous weapon of any kind concealed on or about the person. [/font]
[font="Times New Roman, Times"](2) A person may not wear or carry a dangerous weapon, chemical mace, pepper mace, or a tear gas device openly with the intent or purpose of injuring an individual in an unlawful manner. [/font]
[font="Times New Roman, Times"](3) (i) This paragraph applies in Anne Arundel County, Baltimore County, Caroline County, Cecil County, Harford County, Kent County, Montgomery County, Prince George's County, St. Mary's County, Talbot County, Washington County, and Worcester County. [/font]
[font="Times New Roman, Times"](ii) A minor may not carry a dangerous weapon between 1 hour after sunset and 1 hour before sunrise, whether concealed or not, except while: [/font]
[font="Times New Roman, Times"]1. on a bona fide hunting trip; or [/font]
[font="Times New Roman, Times"]2. engaged in or on the way to or returning from a bona fide trap shoot, sport shooting event, or any organized civic or military activity. [/font]
[font="Times New Roman, Times"](d) Penalties.- [/font]
[font="Times New Roman, Times"](1) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 3 years or a fine not exceeding $1,000 or both. [/font]
[font="Times New Roman, Times"](2) For a person convicted under subsection (c)(1) or (2) of this section, if it appears from the evidence that the weapon was carried, concealed or openly, with the deliberate purpose of injuring or killing another, the court shall impose the highest sentence of imprisonment prescribed. [/font]
[font="Times New Roman, Times"][An. Code 1957, art. 27, § 36; 2002, ch. 26, § 2; ch. 213, § 6; ch. 571, § 1; 2003, ch. 17; ch. 21, § 1.] [/font]

Novus Collectus

imported post

Open carry of swords and knifes of any length is not prohibitted under state law unless one is wearing with the intent to unlawfully injure.

I told my brother who lives in Baltimore this a while back and he recently told me he has worn a sword openly on the streets of Baltimore and the cops never even gave him gave him a second glance.

Novus Collectus

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
marshaul wrote:
Task Force 16 wrote:
Packing a machete is sort of like carrying a short sword around with you.
Except a sword is primarily a weapon, and a machete is primarily a tool.
Ah, but each can be used for the purpose the other is primarily designed for.
That only matters when the weapon is worn concealed and it has to be intended to be used as a weapon or be one of the listed prohibitted weapons when worn concealed to be illegal by state law (for adults).

Novus Collectus

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
Each city/county has it's own laws too....
But only a very few have one about knives or swords. Ocean City for instance has one about a fighting sword, a flail mace, battle axe, etc. not being carried on the streets, but most other places just have a mention about minors and that is all.

You might be surprised just how few ban swords or knives carried openly. There are many more places that ban the possession of stun guns, even in the home.