• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Unusual Open Carry in MD State Park

dyver1

imported post

Went to Cunningham Falls State Park in Thurmont Maryland on Columbus Day with my kids. We took the "long way" through the woods up to the falls and it was a beautiful day for a hike.

I of course left my firearm unloaded and locked up in the truck, out of reach so as not to be in violation of any laws since Maryland does not recognize my CHP from Virginia.

While up at the falls saw 2 young men engaged in a different kind of Open Carry.

The picture below about says it all.

2996714046_87f7c36d5a.jpg

sitedzn

imported post

Looks like a surveyor to me (been known to carry one of those myself).

Ric in Richmond

imported post

dyver1 wrote:
I of course left my firearm unloaded and locked up in the truck, out of reach so as not to be in violation of any laws since Maryland does not recognize my CHP from Virginia.

Wouldn't you still be violating maryland law at that point?

I saw some sweet versions of those at hull street outlet in Richmond just the other day!!

dixiehacker

Founder's Club Member
imported post

That machete looks like it might almost be so big as to be unwieldy in a fight. I would personally for for a Ka-Bar. Perhaps part of his job involves going through some thick brush.

vt357

imported post

Ric in Richmond wrote:
dyver1 wrote:

Wouldn't you still be violating maryland law at that point?

I saw some sweet versions of those at hull street outlet in Richmond just the other day!!
From what I understand the federal peaceable journey law only applies if it is legal for you to posses the firearm at your destination. You can't have even an unloaded firearm in your car in Md unless you are going to and from the range, etc.

http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/Federal/Read.aspx?id=59

[size="-1"][/size]
MARYLAND--The unlicensed transportation of handguns in vehicles is prohibited, except for a variety of lawful purposes, including target shooting. A handgun must be transported unloaded and in an enclosed case or holster with a strap.