• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DefensiveCarry.com adds an Open Carry forum

RedKnightt

imported post

I was pleasantly surprised this afternoon to check in at DefensiveCarry.com and saw that they now have a forum for Open Carry Issues and Discussion:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/open-carry-issues-discussions/

Have they seen the light? :lol:

Seriously, it's very nice to see a forum that was not really very OC-friendly (mainly due to the flamewars that ensued) change their outlook and acknowledge that OC is also a type of Defensive Carry. DC.com is a good site (IMO), and I know a couple of the moderators there are also members here. I see this as one more small victory in the struggle to get all gun owners to stand together.

--RedKnightt--

Zombie Squad has it right: “We hold fast to the belief that if you are prepared for a scenario where the walking corpses of your family and neighbors are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for almost anything.”

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

After looking, I'd say they have seen the light, but are still trying to figure out ifit the headlight of an oncoming train or a comet portending doom.

Maybe once they get over the jitters of seeing a gun in the sunshine they will come around to accepting OC as something more than LEO-wannabe or Rambo cowboy behavior.

In other words, sort of what folks who wound up here went through during their first few OC experiences.

Given the state fora here on OCDO, I think many at DC.com will migrate here for OC issues.

stay safe.

skidmark

Flintlock

imported post

That's a very interesting development being that I have been chastised by moderators on that forum for even whispering the term open carry...

Sig229

imported post

Flintlock wrote:
That's a very interesting development being that I have been chastised by moderators on that forum for even whispering the term open carry...
Yes me too.
It's sad that so many gun enthusiast are elitist.
You have the expensive shotgun community that thinks pistols and semi-auto rifles are bad.
Then you have the hunters who think military rifles should be banned.

And then you have the CHL holders who thing OC folks are Satan's demons.

This is how the Left Wing politicians exploit us gun owners and get so many PC gun bans in place.

(ok Im tired and ranting, sorry if the above doesn't make sense)

just_a_car

imported post

Sig229 wrote:
Flintlock wrote:
Yes me too.
It's sad that so many gun enthusiast are elitist.
You have the expensive shotgun community that thinks pistols and semi-auto rifles are bad.
Then you have the hunters who think military rifles should be banned.

And then you have the CHL holders who thing OC folks are Satan's demons.

This is how the Left Wing politicians exploit us gun owners and get so many PC gun bans in place.

(ok Im tired and ranting, sorry if the above doesn't make sense)
Nope, makes complete sense and you're 100% dead-on.

It's those divides (such as Jim Zumbo's comment on hunting with AR's that had to be turned around by a force such as Ted Nugent - all hail the Nuge!) that the anti-gunners use against those who espouse freedom in this country to try to take those freedoms away.

JD

imported post

It took about a year of gentle persuasion, but we got the section added.

We have a good number of members that made it easier mainly SigGuy229, Jason Rogers, TN_Mike, Pro2a, Al Lowe and a couple others, thank them.

I'm glad we were able to make the change and get the section added, now more than ever we need all gun owners to be on the same page.

Nelson_Muntz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sig229 wrote:
Flintlock wrote:
Yes me too.
Interesting though. When you tell posters to stop their CC prosylatizing or talking down to OC'ers in the OC forum there they whine that you shouldn't tell them what to do.

JD

imported post

Nelson_Muntz wrote:
Sig229 wrote:
Flintlock wrote:
Yes me too.
Interesting though. When you tell posters to stop their CC prosylatizing or talking down to OC'ers in the OC forum there they whine that you shouldn't tell them what to do.
It's like I told you Nelson, just report the post...

Like any change it takes some time to get use to it.

It took me a year to get that forum added, I don't want to see anyone screw it up.

Nelson_Muntz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Thanks JD. But you didn't have to repeat yourself.

I find it hypocritical that in the cc threads there everyone is quick to chastise anyone who mentions oc. Some folks here have experienced that and said so. However, when the situation is reversed, and I ask the cc'rs to not promote cc in the oc section or talk down to oc'rs in the oc section that I get the talking to. Apparently I have to rack up a lot of posts there before I can tell the oldtimers they are guilty of the same thing they accuse others of. At least Al Lowe gets it.

In any case, I posted the hypocrisy of it here in this thread so that my friends can know what to expect when/if they decide to visit. They will have to remember that as they post there to provide their experiences and knowledge they are likely to be met with 'be safe, CC only' type responses. They should not gently remind those folks to refrain from that. But, no harm, no foul.

JD

imported post

Nelson_Muntz wrote:
Thanks JD. But you didn't have to repeat yourself.

I find it hypocritical that in the cc threads there everyone is quick to chastise anyone who mentions oc. Some folks here have experienced that and said so. However, when the situation is reversed, and I ask the cc'rs to not promote cc in the oc section or talk down to oc'rs in the oc section that I get the talking to. Apparently I have to rack up a lot of posts there before I can tell the oldtimers they are guilty of the same thing they accuse others of. At least Al Lowe gets it.

In any case, I posted the hypocrisy of it here in this thread so that my friends can know what to expect when/if they decide to visit. They will have to remember that as they post there to provide their experiences and knowledge they are likely to be met with 'be safe, CC only' type responses. They should not gently remind those folks to refrain from that. But, no harm, no foul.
Again, the point is that if the post is reported, if will be removed, and the poster of that "be safe, CC only" crap will be addressed.

When members start trying to address certain issues head on with other members, we usually end up with two banned members instead of one PM to someone telling them to knock the crap off.

We don't get to read every post, that's what the report icon is for.

The "Hypocrisy" will be removed, what our friends here should know, is that if you see something along the lines of what Nelson is talking about, report the post.

If you don't know how reporting posts works over there, send me a PM over there and I will be more than happy to explain it.

:D

Nelson_Muntz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Thanks. Not necessary. We handle our own 'discussions' here when its called for. I don't think anyone needs to tell daddy.Different forum, totally different feeling and protocol. You all know where you stand. Here or there.

I predict the OC section won't last long. The members will eventually totally disregard it or put it down. I'm glad it was tried though. I'd like to OC with some of the folks I've spoken with there. If they can get over 4K + CC posts.

Old habits die hard.

JD

imported post

You're right, different forum, different rules...

Bottom line is that the OC Forum there is open, people can either complain about how things used to be, and how things may be a little unfair at the start, or you can help make it better.

It's all up to the members.

Was the previous policy against OC? Yes and no. A lot of members here thought it was a flawed policy and stuck around anyway to help try and change it, and lo and behold, there's now an OC forum. Good things can happen when the right attitude is applied.

You (not meaning any one person in particular) wanted it, you got it.