• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NRA and SAF file suit against Alien Firearms License law

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

By further establishing that the right to keep and bear arms is a natural right of any person in this country like free speech or freedom of religion.

olypendrew

imported post

deanf wrote:
And this benefits me, the natural born citizen, how?
It benefits you if you believe that the right to self defense and the right to keep and bear arms are inherent, natural rights, as opposed to privileges that can be given to and taken away from special classes of people. Otherwise, it doesn't.

deanf

imported post

I would like to see the NRASAFCCRKBA tackle the larger issue of ongoing state preemption violations. The class of victims of those violations is much larger than the class of victims of AFL-rights violations. With limited resources, it would be money better spent.

Is the NRASAFCCRKA hoping that some larger constitutional question will be settled by this lawsuit, à la Heller?

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

It also may have an interesting political twist. Immigrant rights are a big issue right now, and this could be a way to bring some of the libs onboard with us.

olypendrew

imported post

No one is in danger of being deported because some city puts up a sign saying "No guns." And I think the members of this forum are doing a pretty good job getting those signs taken down on our own. But despite the best efforts of many in the firearms community, the un-constitutional AFL law remains on the books.

Me, personally, I'd rather see a lawsuit against the national park ban than against a municipality that hasn't come to grips with preemption.

bluer1

imported post

That's awesome, this really hit home because a good friend of mine has really gotten into shooting with my wife and I lately. She is a german citizen (the friend, not my wife) and was dismayed to find out that they refused to do the background check on her to be able to buy herself a rifle. Good job NRA!

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

bluer1 wrote:
That's awesome, this really hit home because a good friend of mine has really gotten into shooting with my wife and I lately. She is a german citizen (the friend, not my wife) and was dismayed to find out that they refused to do the background check on her to be able to buy herself a rifle. Good job NRA!

She better be careful, it isn't just about buying or owning, mere possession of a firearm by an alien is a class C felony. you might even be violating law by providing her one to use.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.170

bluer1

imported post

I'm not so sure on that one 911, it's a tricky issue. But since you point it out, I'm going to look into it further, so I thank you for that info.

j2l3

imported post

joeroket wrote:
My question is why are they suing the police chief for refusing to issue a CPL? That has nothing to do with a AFL does it?
Can't get the CPL without the AFL. Sort of a catch 22.

jchen012

imported post

This is awesome. I have several friends who are green card holders who would like to purchase firearms. It seems like WA is the only state that requires a AFL...

Also I see non citizens going into gun ranges all the time and renting the guns and shooting them there. Wouldthat be considered a felony?

olypendrew

imported post

jchen012 wrote:
This is awesome. I have several friends who are green card holders who would like to purchase firearms. It seems like WA is the only state that requires a AFL...

Also I see non citizens going into gun ranges all the time and renting the guns and shooting them there. Wouldthat be considered a felony?
It would be a felony, unless they have an AFL that was previously issued and has yet to expire.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

I have a guy I work with who was in the military when he lived in India. He made the equivalent of our rank/grade of 04 in India and flew MIGs. His AFL expired this past summer and his love of shooting and collecting guns is on hold. His guns are currently in the possession of a close friend who can legally own them (for now).
He was very happy to see this news article.

Gene Beasley

imported post

Short notice

Public Hearing:
  1. HB 1052 - Concerning firearm licenses for persons from other countries.
Jan 15Scheduled for public hearing in the House Committee on Judiciary at 10:00 AM. (Subject to change)
House Full Committee
House Hearing Rm A
John L. O'Brien Building
Olympia, WA

If you plan to visit the Capitol Campus in Olympia, please keep in mind parking is very limited. For directions, maps and information regarding parking and free shuttle service please see: http://www.leg.wa.gov/WorkingWithLeg/parking.htm

[posting this on each thread discussing AFL rather than starting a single-post new thread]