Thread: NRA and SAF file suit against Alien Firearms License law

Post imported post

Post imported post

And this benefits me, the natural born citizen, how?

State Researcher

Post imported post

By further establishing that the right to keep and bear arms is a natural right of any person in this country like free speech or freedom of religion.

Post imported post

deanf wrote:
    And this benefits me, the natural born citizen, how?
    It benefits you if you believe that the right to self defense and the right to keep and bear arms are inherent, natural rights, as opposed to privileges that can be given to and taken away from special classes of people. Otherwise, it doesn't.

Post imported post

I would like to see the NRASAFCCRKBA tackle the larger issue of ongoing state preemption violations. The class of victims of those violations is much larger than the class of victims of AFL-rights violations. With limited resources, it would be money better spent.

Is the NRASAFCCRKA hoping that some larger constitutional question will be settled by this lawsuit, * la Heller?

State Researcher

Post imported post

It also may have an interesting political twist. Immigrant rights are a big issue right now, and this could be a way to bring some of the libs onboard with us.

Post imported post

No one is in danger of being deported because some city puts up a sign saying "No guns." And I think the members of this forum are doing a pretty good job getting those signs taken down on our own. But despite the best efforts of many in the firearms community, the un-constitutional AFL law remains on the books.

Me, personally, I'd rather see a lawsuit against the national park ban than against a municipality that hasn't come to grips with preemption.

Post imported post

That's awesome, this really hit home because a good friend of mine has really gotten into shooting with my wife and I lately. She is a german citizen (the friend, not my wife) and was dismayed to find out that they refused to do the background check on her to be able to buy herself a rifle. Good job NRA!

Post imported post

My question is why are they suing the police chief for refusing to issue a CPL? That has nothing to do with a AFL does it?
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here

Post imported post

bluer1 wrote:
    That's awesome, this really hit home because a good friend of mine has really gotten into shooting with my wife and I lately. She is a german citizen (the friend, not my wife) and was dismayed to find out that they refused to do the background check on her to be able to buy herself a rifle. Good job NRA!
    She better be careful, it isn't just about buying or owning, mere possession of a firearm by an alien is a class C felony. you might even be violating law by providing her one to use.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.170

Post imported post

I'm not so sure on that one 911, it's a tricky issue. But since you point it out, I'm going to look into it further, so I thank you for that info.

Post imported post

joeroket wrote:
    My question is why are they suing the police chief for refusing to issue a CPL? That has nothing to do with a AFL does it?
    Can't get the CPL without the AFL. Sort of a catch 22.
    CZ 75B 9mm, Ruger P94 .40 S&W, Bersa Thunder .380, AR-15 Homebuild

Post imported post

j2l3 wrote:
    joeroket wrote:
    Can't get the CPL without the AFL. Sort of a catch 22.
    Ok that makes sense.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

Post imported post

This is awesome. I have several friends who are green card holders who would like to purchase firearms. It seems like WA is the only state that requires a AFL...

Also I see non citizens going into gun ranges all the time and renting the guns and shooting them there. Wouldthat be considered a felony?

Post imported post

jchen012 wrote:
    This is awesome. I have several friends who are green card holders who would like to purchase firearms. It seems like WA is the only state that requires a AFL...

Also I see non citizens going into gun ranges all the time and renting the guns and shooting them there. Wouldthat be considered a felony?
    It would be a felony, unless they have an AFL that was previously issued and has yet to expire.

Post imported post

I have a guy I work with who was in the military when he lived in India. He made the equivalent of our rank/grade of 04 in India and flew MIGs. His AFL expired this past summer and his love of shooting and collecting guns is on hold. His guns are currently in the possession of a close friend who can legally own them (for now).
    He was very happy to see this news article.

Post imported post

Short notice

Public Hearing:
    1. HB 1052 - Concerning firearm licenses for persons from other countries.
    Jan 15Scheduled for public hearing in the House Committee on Judiciary at 10:00 AM. (Subject to change)
    House Full Committee
    House Hearing Rm A
    John L. O'Brien Building
    Olympia, WA

If you plan to visit the Capitol Campus in Olympia, please keep in mind parking is very limited. For directions, maps and information regarding parking and free shuttle service please see: http://www.leg.wa.gov/WorkingWithLeg/parking.htm

[posting this on each thread discussing AFL rather than starting a single-post new thread]