• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police Say Target Shooter May Have Fired Bullet That Hit NASCAR Fan FoxNews.com

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,446944,00.html

Tuesday , November 04, 2008
FORT WORTH, Texas—
A stray bullet that injured a NASCAR fan in her motor home at Texas Motor Speedway may have been from a rifle of a target shooter, police said on Tuesday. A 49-year-old man contacted police after being told of news reports that a woman was hit in the arm on Sunday morning by a bullet piercing through the roof of her recreational vehicle camped at the speedway for the Dickies 500, according to Fort Worth police.
The man told detectives on Tuesday that he fired five or six rounds from a .50 caliber Vulcan single-shot rifle near a rifle range about five miles from the speedway from about 10 a.m. to 11 a.m., police said.
Detectives confiscated the Vulcan rifle and will conduct ballistics tests. If it matches the recovered bullet, the man could face a charge of deadly conduct for recklessly firing a weapon in the direction of others, police said.
The 62-year-old woman's condition was unavailable on Tuesday.

opusd2

imported post

I hear these guns kill kittens and puppies, promote tooth decay, play Yoko Ono records (yes, records), and disrupt the sleep habits of any teenager that lives within a ten mile radius.

That's what I heard, is all...

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

FORT WORTH, Texas— A stray bullet that injured a NASCAR fan in her motor home at Texas Motor Speedway may have been from a rifle of a target shooter, police said on Tuesday.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,446944,00.html

A 49-year-old man contacted police after being told of news reports that a woman was hit in the arm on Sunday morning by a bullet piercing through the roof of her recreational vehicle camped at the speedway for the Dickies 500, according to Fort Worth police.
The man told detectives on Tuesday that he fired five or six rounds from a .50 caliber Vulcan single-shot rifle near a rifle range about five miles from the speedway from about 10 a.m. to 11 a.m., police said.
Detectives confiscated the Vulcan rifle and will conduct ballistics tests. If it matches the recovered bullet, the man could face a charge of deadly conduct for recklessly firing a weapon in the direction of others, police said.
The 62-year-old woman's condition was unavailable on Tuesday.

kurtmax_0

imported post

Yeah since when was shooting a range considered 'recklessly shooting at people'?

I also find it hard to believe that it went 5 miles. Either the range backstop was made of tin-foil or he was shooting at a 60-degree arc. I find both hard to imagine. (Shooting a .50 cal at a high angle like that would probably hurt the shoulder...)

MamaLiberty

imported post

Something mighty fishy here. Just TOO convenient for the gun grabbers.

Anyone that careless would not be apt to call and report themselves and face such charges!

I smell a set up and a fraud.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

The invincibly ignorant here on OCDO are innumerate too.

The first approximation of the probability of a random shot hitting a particular target is proportional to the area of the target to the area of the semi-sphere of radius 'range'.

The approximation can be improved by removing the spherical area 'below ground' and by removing the area behind the shooter and off the axis of the range.

But at five miles the probability is very small. At a range of a mile, the probability is on the order of 10^-6.

Believe nothing you read or hear without verifying it yourself unless it fits your pre-existing world view, is congruent with your weltanshung.

opusd2

imported post

I bet we could set up some empty cans on the dock at Gills Rock and fire from the shores of Wash. Island and maybe be as nearly impressive as hitting a NASCAR fan. What do you say Doug, I think we have an idea for the coolest gun range in Door County! Only aiming at the cans and not racing fans...

Baradium

imported post

What interested me, and what I'm surprised no one commented on... the article says he was firing NEAR a shooting range. He might not have been on the actual range... if that's the case, he might really have been just firing in a field etc.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Baradium wrote:
What interested me, and what I'm surprised no one commented on... the article says he was firing NEAR a shooting range. He might not have been on the actual range... if that's the case, he might really have been just firing in a field etc.
+1 First thing that jumped out at me as I was reading this thread. I would have commented on it if you had not.

Gordie

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Baradium wrote:
+1 First thing that jumped out at me as I was reading this thread. I would have commented on it if you had not.

Interesting point, near is a relative term. How near was "near"? Was he in the parking lot, just outside the perimeter fence, a mile down the road, in the same county? Obama supported banning gun shops within a 5 mile radius of a school, was it because he thought that this was to "near"?

A while back I read an article on Foxnews.comthat was headlined "Gunman Shoots Up High School Dance". Imagine the horror of death and destruction in the gymnasium. As the article played out you see that it didn't occur inside the dance, but as the students were leaving. Oh no, blood on the front steps of the school, bodies in the courtyard. Then the truth came. It appeared to be gang related, and occurred 4 blocks away from the dance.

Near is truly a relative term.

Renegade

imported post

I am not buying the story - after fifteen minutes of research here are my findings:

- the closest range is Quail Creek Public Shooting Range
- the range is approximately 1.00 mile north east of the closest section of the race track property
- the range is approximately 1.75miles north east of the farthest section of the race track property
- the range is 100 yards
- the range fires in a northerly direction

Unless the bullet hit something on the backstop, reversed direction, and flew over one mile backwards...I just can't see how this happened.

The only other option would be a negligent discharge by the operator - shooting up in the air, etc.

Any comments?

texas%20world.jpg

opusd2

imported post

Great research! You get a gold star for the job you've done. Unfortunately, it only goes to show that if the person firing the shell at the range was doing so in a safe fashion, there is no way a round would perform as described. So my guess is that some responsible shooter took blame for a misfire, or a negligent person didn't take responsibility for their stupidity. Another possibility, albeit a remote chance at that, is that someone intentionally fired in that direction. Or, the person struck was not where they claimed to be.

It's just so hard to say.

Teej

imported post

Renegade wrote:
- the closest range is Quail Creek Public Shooting Range
- the range is approximately 1.00 mile north east of the closest section of the race track property
- the range is approximately 1.75miles north east of the farthest section of the
What else is in that area?

The original article said _5_ miles from the track...