• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police Say Target Shooter May Have Fired Bullet That Hit NASCAR Fan FoxNews.com

Humanphibian

imported post

Would it be possible for a .50 round to go vertical off of the backstop, and drift that far? I am not familliar with the ballistics of the round, but that kind of drift seems somewhat feasable if the round still had a fairly high velocity when (if) it ricocheted off of the berm.

just a thought.

Gordie

imported post

Humanphibian wrote:
Would it be possible for a .50 round to go vertical off of the backstop, and drift that far? I am not familliar with the ballistics of the round, but that kind of drift seems somewhat feasable if the round still had a fairly high velocity when (if) it ricocheted off of the berm.

just a thought.
Even if it could, it wouldn't carry enough velocity that farto do the damage that was done. Remember, if it was fired down the range, it would have to reverse course to land at the track. I doubt that it would keep a stabilized trajectory after all of that. Once a bullet starts to tumble it slows to terminal velocity as it falls, it would be like a large hailstone.

KBCraig

imported post

Renegade wrote:
- the range is approximately 1.00 mile north east of the closest section of the race track property
- the range is approximately 1.75miles north east of the farthest section of the race track property
Good picture, bad measurement.

Check it again: from the firing line at Quail Creek to the northeastern edge of the TMS perimeter road, is almost 2 miles, not 1. Continuing on that line to the southwestern perimeter road is another 1.7 or so miles, for a max of well over 3.5 miles according to the Google Maps scale.