• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

driving through GA, vehicle carry?

freedom1776

imported post

I'm driving through GA and my state's license is not recognized, I was reading how some Georgia law says that anyone without a license can carry in their own car.

So my question is if I keep my pistol in my vehicle the entire time I should be legal right? Does it have to be in any specific place and what about getting pulled over do I have to inform the officer?

rmodel65

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
rmodel65 wrote:
he is ineligible as he does not live in GA
Again the same website seems to disagree with that interpretation as well. Their comment on the law defines ineligible persons as those not meeting the requirements of OCGA 16-11-129 sections (b).(1) through (6). He meets the eligibility requirements for the license, just not the residency requirement - two different things, two different sections in the code. The residency requirement is in OCGA 16-11-129 (a).

so he is ineligible:p http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/2008/06/27/gco-challenges-refusal-to-issue-gfls-to-nonresidents/

rmodel65

imported post

(e)This Code section shall not forbid any person who is not among those enumerated as ineligible for a license under Code Section 16-11-129 from transporting a loaded firearm in any private passenger motor vehicle.

rmodel65

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
rmodel65 wrote:
(e)This Code section shall not forbid any person who is not among those enumerated as ineligible for a license under Code Section 16-11-129 from transporting a loaded firearm in any private passenger motor vehicle.
OK. So let me get this straight. 1. A non-resident without a CPL that GA recognizes cannot open carry a gun without a hunting or fishing license because of (and notice it does not say loaded or unloaded):
O.C.G.A. § 16-11-128
Carrying pistol without license
(a)A person commits the offense of carrying a pistol without a license when he has or carries on or about his person, outside of his home, motor vehicle, or place of business, any pistol or revolver without having on his person a valid license issued by the judge of the probate court of the county in which he resides, provided that no permit shall be required for persons with a valid hunting or fishing license on their person or for persons not required by law to have hunting licenses who are engaged in legal hunting, fishing, or sport shooting when the persons have the permission of the owner of the land on which the activities are being conducted; provided, further, that the pistol or revolver, whenever loaded, shall be carried only in an open and fully exposed manner.

2. A non-resident cannot carry a gun unloaded and in a case outside their vehicle because of:

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-126
Carrying a concealed weapon
(a)A person commits the offense of carrying a concealed weapon when such person knowingly has or carries about his or her person, unless in an open manner and fully exposed to view, any bludgeon, knuckles whether made from metal, thermoplastic, wood, or other similar material, firearm, knife designed for the purpose of offense and defense, or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument of like character outside of his or her home or place of business, except as permitted under this Code section.
(d)This Code section shall not forbid the transportation of any firearm by a person who is not among those enumerated as ineligible for a license under Code Section 16-11-129, provided the firearm is enclosed in a case, unloaded, and separated from its ammunition.

3. The ONLY thing that a non-resident CAN do is to carry an unloaded firearm in their vehicle, but there is NO legal way for that non-resident to put the firearm in their vehicle or remove it from their vehicle in Georgia? That means that the non-resident must enter Georgia with the firearm in their vehicle, leave Georgia with the firearm in their vehicle, but cannot remove that firearm from their vehicle, even unloaded and cased, while in Georgia?

pretty much, if you read the law about possessing the handgun you have to have a license to carry in your own yard.unless your doing the hunting thing

M

mdgary

imported post

rmodel65 wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
rmodel65 wrote:
OK. So let me get this straight. 1. A non-resident without a CPL that GA recognizes cannot open carry a gun without a hunting or fishing license because of (and notice it does not say loaded or unloaded):
O.C.G.A. § 16-11-128
Carrying pistol without license
(a)A person commits the offense of carrying a pistol without a license when he has or carries on or about his person, outside of his home, motor vehicle, or place of business, any pistol or revolver without having on his person a valid license issued by the judge of the probate court of the county in which he resides, provided that no permit shall be required for persons with a valid hunting or fishing license on their person or for persons not required by law to have hunting licenses who are engaged in legal hunting, fishing, or sport shooting when the persons have the permission of the owner of the land on which the activities are being conducted; provided, further, that the pistol or revolver, whenever loaded, shall be carried only in an open and fully exposed manner.

2. A non-resident cannot carry a gun unloaded and in a case outside their vehicle because of:

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-126
Carrying a concealed weapon
(a)A person commits the offense of carrying a concealed weapon when such person knowingly has or carries about his or her person, unless in an open manner and fully exposed to view, any bludgeon, knuckles whether made from metal, thermoplastic, wood, or other similar material, firearm, knife designed for the purpose of offense and defense, or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument of like character outside of his or her home or place of business, except as permitted under this Code section.
(d)This Code section shall not forbid the transportation of any firearm by a person who is not among those enumerated as ineligible for a license under Code Section 16-11-129, provided the firearm is enclosed in a case, unloaded, and separated from its ammunition.

3. The ONLY thing that a non-resident CAN do is to carry an unloaded firearm in their vehicle, but there is NO legal way for that non-resident to put the firearm in their vehicle or remove it from their vehicle in Georgia? That means that the non-resident must enter Georgia with the firearm in their vehicle, leave Georgia with the firearm in their vehicle, but cannot remove that firearm from their vehicle, even unloaded and cased, while in Georgia?

pretty much, if you read the law about possessing the handgun you have to have a license to carry in your own yard.unless your doing the hunting thing
Dang!
When I go to my brothers house in GA. I have more rights to carry a firearmthan he does (with a NH permit) and he is a GA. resident .With his permission of course..

rmodel65

imported post

I imagine MP will be in here some time. if that was the case then i doubt he would be suing the state over it :p

another thing worth noting is that if your in your personal car and your a resident you can carry in it

http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/georgias-carry-laws-explained/frequently-asked-questions/

Q: I don’t have a GFL. Can I carry in my car?
A:
If you are eligible for a firearms license, then you may carry a firearm anywhere inside your vehicle, concealed or openly. You may not carry a firearm in a car belonging to another person.

so if you rent a car you cannot carry in the rented car

rmodel65

imported post

it seems crazy but our laws were written like that on purpose:( http://www.georgiacarry.com/county/fulton_nonres/Doc 14 Resp to 2nd MTD.pdf scroll down to around page 15 on the pdf

Plaintiffs, however, are prohibited from carrying a handgun at all in Georgia.
Under O.C.G.A. § 16-11-126, Plaintiffs are prohibited from carrying a concealed
weapon (including a handgun) without a GFL. Under O.C.G.A. § 16-11-128,
Plaintiffs are prohibited from carrying a pistol, without a GFL, outside of “his or her”home, motor vehicle, or place of business. Plaintiff Goyke does not have a home or
place of business in Georgia. Amended Complaint, ¶ 27. He usually does not have
his own motor vehicle when he visits Georgia. Amended Complaint, ¶ 26. Carrying a
pistol without a GFL in another’s motor vehicle is not permitted by Georgia law

SeeHubbard v. State, 210 Ga. App. 141, 143 435 S.E.2d 709, 711 (1993) (“the fact that he
was carrying the pistol in a motor vehicle which was not his own did not negate the
need for a license”). The Hubbard court emphasized that a license is needed for
someone to carry a firearm “outside his home, motor vehicle, or place of business,
id. [emphasis in original]. This implies that carrying in another’s home also would be
a violation.

Thus, Plaintiff Goyke is not,permitted to carry a pistol without a GFL, openly or
concealed, anywhere in Georgia, even in the private home of his Georgia relatives.
By denying him the right to apply for and receive a GFL through the disparate
treatment of residents and nonresidents, Defendant has completely barred Plaintiff
Goyke from carrying the quintessential self defense weapon anywhere in this state.
Such a blanket prohibition on the exercise of a fundamental right is impermissible,particularly when the state is denying the right to nonresidents but permitting it to
residents.

B

bradpiit

imported post

HELLO SIR!!
I am a lawyer by profession and i want to tell you that carrying a pistol in a car is legal but along with license and you also dont have car license so try to get atleast car license so that you can show to the police when asked for!!
------------------------------
brad pitt
South Carolina Drug Treatment Centers

rmodel65

imported post

if your not a GA resident then you are ineligible for a GA firearms license so you must carry in accordance with federal transport laws

or have a license with reciprocity