• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Get a pistol as a gift from parents

chesire17201

imported post

K, slightly confused here, My parents asked what I wanted for x-mas and the first thing I blurted out was a Keltec p3at, the issue we have is under Pa law I know they could just gift it and we have no issue, The question I have is that they live in WV, and I'm not sure how that would work, do we have to go do a transfer here in pa, or is it the same as if they lived here and it is gifted to me?

disregard, i found my answer, which is yes, transfer required.....

tdyoung58

imported post

As long as they buy it and and give it to you as a gift you are Okay, I believe it's Federal Law not a PA law.

One of the FFL's here might know more

KBCraig

imported post

As an interstate transfer, it must go through a licensee (FFL). Since it's a handgun, it must be done by an FFL in the recipient's state of residence.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

I had much the same circumstances when I gave a handgun to a life long friend in Pa. I live in Va. but was planning on visiting him.

Short version: FFL in Va. to FFL in PA. if it was to be shipped. As I was physically visiting - personally transported the gun - so we only needed to go to a local Pa. FFL and do the paper work to be legal. Completed without any problems and he is now happy.

Yata hey

david.ross

imported post

You may want to look at the Ruger LCP 380... Since the Ruger was released earlier this year, keltec is a terrible choice. You'd have to feel the difference to know what I mean. The keltec's grip is more sharp and uncomfortable. They are both 380 and shooting them is not different.

Sig229

imported post

It may be a gray area with Federal law and you would probably need a FFL to do the transfer.

But lets be realistic, I highly doubt the BATF is going to kick in your door for receiving a firearm as a gift from your parents.

I personally wouldn't worry about it.

gnbrotz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Short version: FFL in Va. to FFL in PA. if it was to be shipped.

Yata hey
Not required by law. You could have shipped the firearm directly to a PA FFL, who would then do the required transfer before releasing it to the intended recipient.

gnbrotz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sig229 wrote:
It may be a gray area with Federal law and you would probably need a FFL to do the transfer.

But lets be realistic, I highly doubt the BATF is going to kick in your door for receiving a firearm as a gift from your parents.

I personally wouldn't worry about it.
There is no "gray area" and no "probably". You definitely need to utilize an FFL on the recipient's end for any interstate transfer to be in compliance with Federal law.

It's better to keep your mouth shut than to condone/encourage illegal behavior - whether anyone *finds out about it* or not.

gnbrotz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
You may want to look at the Ruger LCP 380... Since the Ruger was released earlier this year, keltec is a terrible choice. You'd have to feel the difference to know what I mean. The keltec's grip is more sharp and uncomfortable. They are both 380 and shooting them is not different.
The Ruger has also had a recall. I was holding out for the Ruger, but finally couldn't wait any longer for a "pocket gun", so I went ahead and bought the Kel-Tec. It's *not* a 'comfortable' gun to shoot, but that's not why I bought it.

Chesire, if you'd like to try the Kel-Tec out, drop me a line and we'll see if we can set something up.

david.ross

imported post

Wasn't the Ruger recall with another firearm though? Do you have suspicion the 380 LCP might have manufacturing defects?

david.ross

imported post

:eek: Thank you. I'll have to check my pistol serial. My pistol is actually one of the first out of the batch, so I may need to send it in for the recall.

Sig229

imported post

gnbrotz wrote:
insane.kangaroo wrote:
The Ruger has also had a recall. I was holding out for the Ruger, but finally couldn't wait any longer for a "pocket gun", so I went ahead and bought the Kel-Tec. It's *not* a 'comfortable' gun to shoot, but that's not why I bought it.

Chesire, if you'd like to try the Kel-Tec out, drop me a line and we'll see if we can set something up.

While Im sure you feel very "noble" for standing up what for what is legal, but do not assume or accuse me of telling the man to break the law.
That of which, I did not.

david.ross

imported post

Sig229 wrote:
While Im sure you feel very "noble" for standing up what for what is legal, but do not assume or accuse me of telling the man to break the law.
No, what you said was completely ignorant. There is no "probably" or any "do it and don't tell anyone". What is the most popular saying, "ignorance is no excuse for not knowing the law".

Don't tell people, "Probably" or "the BATFE isn't going to kick your door down for it" what the proper response should be, "You should check your local laws or consult an attorney before receiving a firearm as a gift to make sure you're not breaking any laws."

Your response sir was unfounded, shady, and not welcomed in the world where you must be precise to the letter of the law.

EDIT: *kick your door down for it.

Sig229

imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
Sig229 wrote:
There is no "probably"

There is a such thing as probability with anything someone does.

Personally, I don't think it's the state, federal or our business if this persons parents wants to give him a firearm as a gift.

Again, I never condoned nor instructed him to break the law. I was simply commenting on the reality surrounding his matter.

As for where I come from-
Well, its obliviously a place that values true freedom and doesn't have to worry about his/her countrymen concerning themselves about how legal a family Christmas gift is.

Have a good day.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Sig229 wrote:
Personally, I don't think it's the state, federal or our business if this persons parents wants to give him a firearm as a gift.

I don't either... However, as the laws are NOW, it IS their business, and if you treat it carelessly you'll get bitten.

As stated by prior posters, there is no gray area here.

Interstate transfers of handguns must go through an FFL in the recipient's state [18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and 922(b)(3)]
And it matters not where the transfer happens, if you are not residents of the same state the above applies.

Period.