• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New guy...Cherry pop.

Squid13

imported post

So no $h!t there I was... freshly shaved head, wearing dickies and Doc Martins carrying my Taurus Millenium Pro, with my ethnic friend, who was legaly carrying his Ruger LCP concealed, buying an AR10 before the immenent increase in price due to election outcome. Almost as soon as I entered Bob's Guns, a young African American male asks me if I have a permit, to which I replied, "Why no." To which he replied, "Are you a cop?" Again, "Why no." So I proceeded to educate himpolitely on Open Carry in the commonwealth of Virginia. It was great! He asked all the right questions and I had all the answers, thanks to this site and your collective experiences. That is with one exception. After asking what happens if he shoots someone... he continues with, and I $h!t you negative... "So they can trace me to the bulletS?". After moments of bewildered silence, I gathered my composure and explained that if he "had to shoot someone" it would likely be in self defense and he should be there when the police arrive, not needing to be traced by "bullets" or any other means.

All in all my experience at Bob's was as expected due to the nature of the buisness. After Bob's we went to A&P Arms on a quest for 25 round AR10 magazines, to no avail. The experience was similar insomuch as nobody had any negative response.

On to 7/11, where my friend flirted with what might as well have been Rosie Perez, while I stood by observing her demeanor or any other customer reaction, of which there was none.

Last test of the night... the family resteraunt. A good mixture of young and old, of a variety of race and socioeconomic upbringing. Yes of course I am referring to Golden Corral. Not one word as we entered, paid, and were seated. My friend noticed and made comment of the looks I was getting from the patrons, however nobody made any direct comments to either of us. Just as I thought the night to be uneventful... out of my peripheral vision I see the LEO enter the resteraunt. "Here we go." I say as my heart began to race. I gave my keys to my friend in case things went bad and I was detained. I boldly grabbed a fresh plate and ran the gauntlet of the buffet purposfuly, anddirectly in front of said LEO. I am fairly certain that Iheard the cashier say, "That's him." or something to that effect. The LEO just rolled his eyes and continued his conversation with the employee, not makeing one move toward me or my table. I know he saw me and Sandy...my .45. He did however stay the entirety of my vist to the establishment, not ever making direct eye contact or coversation with myself or my friend.

For a first OC, I'd say all went exceptionaly well! Thank you all for the courage and knowledge necessary for this experiment. Next time I take Rockell, my .357 Mag 4" Taurus Tracker in a shoulder rig. I can't wait.

Squid13

imported post

In all seriousness, it went way better than I expected. I was surprised the Police Officer didn't approach me at all. It was funny that the gentleman at Bob's asked exactly what everyone gets asked, i.e. are you licenced?/are you a cop?

IrRelevant

imported post

AbNo wrote:
GLENGLOCKER wrote:
The Nofolk police are now into tasing defensless women who are mentally disabled.
I'm guessing you have a link to go with that...

I sure do, Hula Hoop lady. Shes actually an awesome person,I work at the local hospitals andI have spoken with her. All around nice person.

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/11/charges-withdrawn-against-hula-hoop-lady-granby-street

I am appauled by the actual police video. Disgusting, and he needs to be let go ASAP. I do not mean to start LEO bashing, but this is just unacceptable.

Squid13

imported post

Wow. That's all I can say...WOW! There is no reason for that kind of reaction. Not only should he be fired, but someone should give him an old fashioned ass kicking.

Repeater

imported post

GLENGLOCKER wrote:
The Nofolk police are now into tasing defensless women who are mentally disabled.
Pamela Brown is now suing the cop for $5 Million. David Codrea is not impressed with Pishko.

Officer felt he had to Taser Hula Hoop Lady

By Michelle Washington
The Virginian-Pilot
© January 7, 2009

NORFOLK

The officer who used a Taser to shock the Hula Hoop Lady of Granby Street in October felt he had no choice but to do so, according to Norfolk's city attorney.

On Tuesday, lawyers for Pamela Brown filed a lawsuit in Norfolk Circuit Court, seeking $5 million in damages against Officer Nicholas Parks. The lawsuit says Parks violated Brown's civil rights and used excessive force during the incident.

City Attorney Bernard Pishko said Tuesday that he had reviewed the tape with Parks.

"We're not defending it as best practice," Pishko said. However, "Officer Parks didn't know he was dealing with a citizen who was brain-injured.... All he knew was she was noncompliant and agitated."

Pishko said he supported dismissing the criminal charges against Brown because there wouldn't have been any point to prosecuting them. Further, he said, Brown had not suffered any serious injury from the shocks.

"The officer misjudged," Pishko said. "He didn't realize she was brain-damaged and overreacted."

jegoodin

imported post

That is the most disgusting display of brutality I have ever seen.

The story claimed that the facist idiot cop didn't know who she was and had no idea she was mentally handicaped... BS... did you catch his remark in the last 15 seconds, "Put your hands behind your back. Maam, I know youare out here all day, I know youcan do it." He knew EXACTLY who she was.

GLENGLOCKER

imported post

jegoodin wrote:
That is the most disgusting display of brutality I have ever seen.

The story claimed that the facist idiot cop didn't know who she was and had no idea she was mentally handicaped... BS... did you catch his remark in the last 15 seconds, "Put your hands behind your back. Maam, I know youare out here all day, I know youcan do it." He knew EXACTLY who she was.
Thats why we need to realise they're after more then our 2A rights. But evertime someone mentions leos doing this stuff the thread lock police show up. Tazers are for lazy police work, it make sit easier for them to get the encounter over with and back in the AC equipped patrol car. At least the people in SF are doing something about out of control police.
http://nevergetbusted.com/kopbusters/index.php

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Why don't you folks down state start lobbying todecommission the police departments that are problematic in the Norfolk area. It is possible to return to Sheriff based enforcement. At least that way the Chief LEO in you area is directly accountable to the people, and you can get some results in stopping this sort of thing.

Sheriff

imported post

Repeater wrote:

Pamela Brown is now suing the cop for $5 Million. The lawsuit says Parks violated Brown's civil rights and used excessive force during the incident.

Another jury I would like to sit on. :cuss:

Armed

imported post

Repeater wrote:
"We're not defending it as best practice," Pishko said. However, "Officer Parks didn't know he was dealing with a citizen who was brain-injured.... All he knew was she was noncompliant and agitated."

I'm betting that Norfolk PD doesn't get any training on dealing with the medically disabled. In the video, she is clearly displaying hermedic-alert necklace. Obviously, the officer doesn't know what it is, or what it means.

This is a systematic policy issue within the department.

I remain that the officer must do what he / she feels necessary to protect themselves.... but c'mon.. if the officer was intimidated by that woman, he needs to find another line of work. But I don't think he was really intimidated, or "in fear" for his safety... he was clearly monotone, non-excited while repeating the order to put her hands behind her back. Again - the officer is following a scripted policy that appears to have no consideration for the medically disabled.

BTW Squid... nice job on your first outting! :)

Marco

imported post

Glad your Oc experience was a pleasant one.

[line]

Armed wrote: snip
Repeater wrote: snip
Pishko said. However, "Officer Parks didn't know he was dealing with a citizen who was brain-injured.... All he knew was she was non-compliant and agitated."
In the video, she is clearly displaying hermedic-alert necklace. Obviously, the officer doesn't know what it is, or what it means.
IMHO,this officer needs toface civil/ criminal charges.
As should the City/Police brass if they failed to train this officer on how to deal w/ MD people and when a taser should/shouldn't be employed.

[line]

I'm glad Hula Hoop Lady wasn't injured too bad.

[line]
The taser appears to be a crutch that LEO's (with little or no people skills/training) lean on way too much.
This might would be considered bashing if it weren't true
The number/type of people tased, that clearly poseno credible threat proves this.