• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Range Trip With New Shooter

mikebandw186

imported post

I'll be taking a new shooter to the range in the next few days. She has only handled an unloaded gun once, and is somewhat opposed to guns in general. But she at least is open minded about it, and wants to at least experience shooting. I found some general guidelines for range trips, listed below. Any additional Advice would be appreciated.
  • Get some quality training. You'll learn how to handle misfires, hangfires, squib loads etc.

Always observe good muzzle discipline, and know what's downrange.Always observe good trigger discipline, no touchee 'til shootee.

Always use appropriate hearing & eye protection. A brimmed hat is good, too (Keeps hot casings from getting behind the glasses).

All guns that you have not personally just cleared and checked are loaded. Point in safe direction, remove the mag, rack to eject, inspect chamber and breech. If you leave and come back 2 seconds later, it's loaded.

Never use drugs or alcohol before or while handling weapons.

Never allow unsuitable persons, pets or kids access to your guns or ammo.

If you drop the gun, DO NOT attempt to catch it, let it go (bad catch can=ND if your finger gets inside trigger guard).

Do not allow yourself to become complacent as your skill set increases. The best shooters are never done learning.Learn all about your guns, they may save your life one day.

Know the mechanism inside and out. Perform your safety checks often.

Clean and maintain your weapon in accordance with manufacturer's instructions.

Shooting is big fun, but guns are NOT TOYS. No horseplay, ever.

Evil Ernie

imported post

That pretty much covers it Mike. Have fun shooting and keep yer head about ya.

Good for you that you're able to introduce an anti to one of the most direct Constitutional interactions one can achieve. Be gentle and understanding if she bails or quits after one shot. Hopefully she will understand the power wielded by the possessor and respect it.

FogRider

imported post

I think you'll find that it will be good for you as well. Teaching someone else forces you to make sure you are doing it right yourself. I am a terrible teacher myself, but I am being forced to do more of it at work. The more I try to show my coworkers how to do something the more I have to look at my own methods.