• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving to OKC

Bullbuster

imported post

Howdy do ya'll. Shortly I'll be moving to OKC and will be stationed at Tinker AFB. I'm looking forward to the move and new hunting adventures as well. I'm just glad OK recognizes my VA CHP. I'd like to do what I can to help further the OC movement in OK. Thats one thing I'll miss about being here in VA.

russcook

imported post

Bullbuster wrote:
Howdy do ya'll. Shortly I'll be moving to OKC and will be stationed at Tinker AFB. I'm looking forward to the move and new hunting adventures as well. I'm just glad OK recognizes my VA CHP. I'd like to do what I can to help further the OC movement in OK. Thats one thing I'll miss about being here in VA.
Welcome to Oklahoma! And thank you for serving.

Bullbuster

imported post

russcook wrote:
Bullbuster wrote:
Welcome to Oklahoma! And thank you for serving.

No thanks needed. The thanks goes to those who never made it home.

russcook

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
As soon as you get there, visit Brigadoon's Military Surplus, very close to the base. Just up the street from Brigadoon's is King Pawn and Gun, he's pretty decent too. DO NOT, under any circumstances, even go into the parking lot of Gun World. Check out H & H shooting range, very cool place, well worth the drive.

Can you ethically share the reasons for your admonition against patronizing Gun World? Are they vocally opposed to the Open Carry movement? If so, perhaps we should start a thread identifying all businesses which oppose open and concealed carry.

(I guess I'd better review the Code of Conduct for this site first)

Bullbuster

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
As soon as you get there, visit Brigadoon's Military Surplus, very close to the base. Just up the street from Brigadoon's is King Pawn and Gun, he's pretty decent too. DO NOT, under any circumstances, even go into the parking lot of Gun World. Check out H & H shooting range, very cool place, well worth the drive.
I'd like to know why as well!!!

Bullbuster

imported post

Bullbuster wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
I'd like to know why as well!!!

Still no explanation as to WHY I should stay clear. Is it a personal opinion or a military "Off Limits" location? I'll be moving in 4 months and would like to know.

d_clark

imported post

The best gun range in OKC is H&H. Nice people, range time is not too expensive, gun prices are a little high. I second the notion to stay away from Gun World.

Another dealer I dislike is Outdoor America Store. Unfortunately, they usually have the cheapest rates around, but service is extremly slow and poor. They have a superior attitude, and if you disagree with them you don't know anything.

Example:

I went to buy a .22 handgun, once I finally found a salesman, he handed me the paperwork to fill out, wen and found another salesman to finish up. He had to go on a smoke break. I should have just walked out then and there.

Oh, there is also a gunshow in Tulsa twice a year, that is supposed to be really good. I never made it up there before I moved out of state.

d_clark

imported post

I can only remember a few outdoor ranges around OKC.

1. a small state park has an outdoor rifle range , Lexington WMA. You have to have a OKlahoma small game hunting license to use

2. Tri-City gun club, Members only Nice place, several different ranges, pistol, rifle, 22 etc.

3. OKC gun club, pretty sure members only - near Arcadia, OK

4. Believe there is still a outdoor range between Yukon and Mustang, not sure of the name though.

The closest to Tinker AFB would probably be the Tri-City gun club. Lexington WMA would be 30-40 minutes (if I remember correctly). the one by Mustang , would put you closer to 45-hour drive.

hightecrebel

imported post

Here's a few of the things I've learned while stationed here at Tinker:

Gun World isn't as bad as people think. Yes, it has a 20% higher price for their firearms, but you also get a silver membership to the range and a pretty good discount on work done by the in-house gunsmith on that firearm. Not to mention that if you ask about military discount, you will get a discount. It varies by the type of firearm, but I think I got something like 18% off a rifle I bought (was over a year ago, and I deployed shortly after so I can't remember).

Brigadoon's is beyondgreat. I've bought two handguns from them, and numerous other items. I'm often over there at least once or twice a week, and they are great people to work with. They also are the only people I trust to handle FFL-to-FFL transfers because they've never steered me wrong.

H&H is a great place as well, but if you're actually staying in Base Housing it's more of a driver than is worth it just to go to the range. For purchasing a firearm it was great for all but one of my friends. She had issues with them accepting that she could purchase a firearm due to being a non-resident (as were the rest of my friends), and her orders being three years old. As far as I know the employee who gave her trouble is now gone.

The best outdoor range I've been to is in Canadian County. I'll talk to a few of my buddys who actually fire their long guns more than I do and see where they go. A couple of them have been talking about a place that's free, so I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT

I'm an idiot, here's a thread I was reading twenty minutes ago...

http://www.okshooters.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-26.html

okiephlyer

imported post

d_clark wrote:
The best gun range in OKC is H&H. Nice people, range time is not too expensive, gun prices are a little high. I second the notion to stay away from Gun World.

Another dealer I dislike is Outdoor America Store. Unfortunately, they usually have the cheapest rates around, but service is extremly slow and poor. They have a superior attitude, and if you disagree with them you don't know anything.

Example:

I went to buy a .22 handgun, once I finally found a salesman, he handed me the paperwork to fill out, wen and found another salesman to finish up. He had to go on a smoke break. I should have just walked out then and there.

Oh, there is also a gunshow in Tulsa twice a year, that is supposed to be really good. I never made it up there before I moved out of state.

I have been to Outdoor America many times and have found them to be extremely nice and helpful. Have purchased a few minor items from there, never a firearm. Even when just looking, they have treated me well.

There are actually several gun shows in Tulsa each year, The big one is Wannenmachers (sp?). It occupies the entire Expo bulding, upper and lower level. It's kinda like Mecca to the muslims, a pilgrimage you need to make at least once in your lifetime. After the last time there about a year ago, I won't go back. It is a huge show, wall to wall people. The crowd is polite and movement is very slow. There was just about anything you would want, but very few deals. Easier to find a good local gun dealer and deal with them.

Bullbuster

imported post

Will be out in OKC the last week in March to check out a couple houses. Found oneI LOVE but the rent it a bit high at $1,700. Owner is a gun collector and has build in gun cases in the rec room.

Every landlord we have spoken too so far about having guns in the home (don't want to find one and the owner is an Anti and won't allow them) has said "Your in Oklahoma. Everyone has a gun in Oklahoma." I love it :celebrate

freykatt

imported post

Hi Bullbuster, you mentioned OKC, have you considered the suburbs, such as the south side of OKC, they are a lot more friendly to gun owners and less expensive, such as Moore, Norman, Newcastle, and a whole others. At one time I counted close to 4o small suburb towns around OKC. Hopefully will be back there sometime springtime, early summer. cuzzin dick

Bullbuster

imported post

Well I'm getting stationed at Tinker and my wife will be doing some nursing stuff at the college in OKC so we don't want to be too far away. Plus we have to think about the school district they will be in and how good it is. My 8 year old is in AP classes. Plus my wife will be going to OCS in the spring and I will have to play single dad for at least 12 weeks.

freykatt

imported post

Hi
Bullbuster, If you talking about South Community College , it is on the S.W. side of OKC and Tinker in on the S.E. side, and most of the people who go to these places live in Moore (south on I-35) or sol. As far as schools for the little one, Moore would be hard to beat, and sure wouldn't put my child in the O.C. systejm, periodl. Any questions bout the area, will be proud to assist any way I can even tho I have been gone for about 6 yrs. Headin that way (eastern part of state shortly)l. We appreciatge your service Bullbuster, keep safe. cuzzin dick

Bullbuster

imported post

freykatt wrote:
Hi
Bullbuster, If you talking about South Community College , it is on the S.W. side of OKC and Tinker in on the S.E. side, and most of the people who go to these places live in Moore (south on I-35) or sol. As far as schools for the little one, Moore would be hard to beat, and sure wouldn't put my child in the O.C. systejm, periodl. Any questions bout the area, will be proud to assist any way I can even tho I have been gone for about 6 yrs. Headin that way (eastern part of state shortly)l. We appreciatge your service Bullbuster, keep safe. cuzzin dick

The college she is attending has a medical school and she if just finishing the last couple classes for her nursing degree. We looked at a few Catholic school as we are Catholic but we didn't like what they had to offer. But we will check things out when we get out that way next month.

No thanks needed. The thanks go's to those who never made it home.