• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Letter to Editor - Express

nickerj1

imported post

This was in the Express yesterday morning and caught my eye:
Link: http://www.expressnightout.com/printedition/
Tuesday, November 04 2008, pg 41.

"Guns are not the solution

Regarding the three youths who
were shot Saturday in Silver
Spring, one fatally (“Teen Fatally
Shot on Ride On Bus in Montgomery
County,” Nov. 3), I suppose that
the NRA would argue that the
youths should have been armed
and should have fired back. Would
the NRA argue that the bus driver
should also have been armed and
should have fired? Should all the
bystanders have been armed, too,
and used their weapons? Would
the NRA then argue that nobody
would have been hurt?
—NICOLAS KOTSCHOUBEY
Silver Spring, Md."

Write to express: Include name, hometown, and telephone number. Submissions may be edited. E-mail to inbox@readexpress.com or mail to Express Letters, PO Box 17370, Arlington VA 22216.

My sample response:

Restrictive gun control legislation is not the solution

Regarding the three youths who were shot Saturday in Silver Spring, it is a shame this happened in Maryland, where legislators still think restrictive gun control laws have an affect on violent crime, or crime in general. Gun control has no direct correlation, let alone any possible causation, with violent crime, as has been evidenced with various localities both internationally and within the US with varying gun control policies and wildly varying violent crime stats (See DC versus VA, for instance). A reasonable person would ask themselves how to best minimize the effects of the aggressor, because the current gun control and homicide laws of MD obviously did not deter the aggressor from committing the crime.

Shall-issue carry laws, on the other hand, have not surprisingly been deemed reasonable in at least 36 states, are becoming the de facto standard across the US, and have been proven to minimize the effects of violent aggressors in situations where a carrier encounters a violent aggressor. A reasonable shall-issue firearm carry provision in MD would have given the bystanders on the bus the reasonable opportunity to save their own life or the lives of the persons around them, and would not have left the choice up to the aggressor.

Unfortunately, I don't want to submit that with my name on it for personal and professional reasons. So, if someone would be so kind as to put their name on a similar response and email the express, I'd be much obliged.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Sent virtually intact to the paper over my signature. I'll let you know if they respond to your submission.

Yata hey

grishnav

imported post

Decent letter. May I suggest wording this phrase:

Shall-issue carry laws, on the other hand, have not surprisingly been deemed reasonable in at least 36 states,

You mean for it to read like this:

Shall-issue carry laws, on the other hand, have -- not surprisingly -- been deemed reasonable in at least 36 states,

But when I read it, I read it like:

Shall-issue carry laws, on the other hand, have not -- surprisingly -- been deemed reasonable in at least 36 states,

Making it sound as if 36 states had not passed the laws, and making the rest of the sentence confusing (until I reread it).

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

"Virtually intact" in fact referred to exactly that.

The submitted letter read as prepared by nickerj1 with one sentence modified:
"Shall-issue carry laws, on the other hand, have (not surprisingly) been deemed reasonable in at least 36 states,"

Since it was a parenthectical expression, I put it in parenthesis. :)

Yata hey