• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Brink's Home Security

Weak 9mm

imported post

Those commercials make me so depressed it's not even funny. I think the worst part about them is the false sense of security they attempt to provide people.

These commercials particularly portray women as helpless victims who must rely on a phone for protection. It makes me so sad to think that people will probably die because of seeing these commercials and thinking the security system will make a burglar run away.

If a burglar is staring you in the eye as they smash in your glass door, they probably aren't going to turn around and leave when the alarm goes off. They'll be coming right in so that you can assist them in acquiring what they want quickly or so that they can go ahead and silence you since you've seen them. Who knows, they may even want to take you with them!

I mean, people can have the Brinks home security system (It can be a useful deterrent, it may help you in an emergency and it can be very helpful if the home is robbed when you're not there), but they really need to arm themselves.

I think about how the commercial shows the woman and her child or the young woman running into a room and answering the phone when the Brinks people call. The Brinks employees speak to the victim as if they can actually save them. I really can't convey just how depressed these commercials make me. It shows the attitude of today's average citizen and how truly helpless unarmed victims are. I always imagine the commercial ending with the burglar kicking in the door to the room they're hiding in and shooting or raping them while the Brinks guy is on the other line listening helplessly.

The phone cant save you. :cry:

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Yeah, those commercials tick me off consistently.

Like, the burglar sees you, then breaks the window and runs away????? And brinks is sending help? Give me a break.

More in the "feel safe" column instead of the "be safe" column.

Walleye

imported post

I'm honestly surprised there hasn't been a parody of those commercials yet.
I see those commercials and keep thinking of what it'd be like if the burglar busts the door down and gets a load of buckshot to the face.

Deanimator

imported post

I haven't the slightest expectation that the police will show up in time to "protect" me from an immediate threat if I dial 911 MYSELF. Why should I expect that adding a possible failure point is going to IMPROVE things?

A few years ago, I called 911 to report a guy passed out and unresponsive in the gutter in front of a bar. I spent at least five minutes explaining to Kelly Bundy at 911 the difference between a gutter in the street and a gutter on a building. I had to explain that the victim was not on THE ROOF.

I'll bet that that doctor in Connecticut whose whole family was slaughtered had an alarm system.

If your life is in danger NOW, you defend yourself NOW or you don't get defended AT ALL.

Deanimator

imported post

Walleye wrote:
I'm honestly surprised there hasn't been a parody of those commercials yet.
I see those commercials and keep thinking of what it'd be like if the burglar busts the door down and gets a load of buckshot to the face.

Actually there has. I saw one the other day where a woman hoses the guy down with a full-auto AKR.

I've always wanted one where the Brinks operator says, "Are you alright?"

The woman replies, "Yes, someone just tried to break in and I shot him. But my husband peed on the carpet when he saw him andthe suspect's brains are all over the foyer. Send Serv Pro right away!!!"

Prophet

imported post

Its funny...i've been thinking the same exact thing everytime I see those stupid commercials. I can understand how such an alarm would be good if you arent home and you want the cops to get their eventually to stop the burglars from taking all of your possessions but come on.

Ifthere was a realburglar, he would bust out a window, make it into the house and an alarm goes off andhe sees a woman standing in front ofhim he isgoing to attack the woman, make her turn off the alarm, if the phone rings he'll make her answer it and give the all clear. THENhe would proceed to take his time raping her and herdaughter, kill the son, tie up the women folk forsome fun later, have all night to pack upeverything intothe family car,do somemore raping, kill the witnesses and then drive off in the family minivan to a fence and a chop shop. Makeenough cash to skipcountryand live a life somewhereelse.The burglar/rapist/murderer is sunning himself on a Brazillian beach beforeanyone evennotices that the family is missing andWAY before they ever find the bodies.

Now, if she had a mossbergpistol grip shotgun Mr. Rapist/Murdering/burglar is lying dead at the doorway he broke in and Brinks security can save the woman the trouble of calling the police.

MetalChris

imported post

Deanimator wrote:
The woman replies, "Yes, someone just tried to break in and I shot him. But my husband peed on the carpet when he saw him andthe suspect's brains are all over the foyer. Send Serv Pro right away!!!"
I literally LoLed at that. Well played.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

The one with the woman in the kitchen... Bad Guy kicks the door in... alarm goes off 'n he runs away. Door's still wide open. Phone rings... its Brinks? They ask. Are you alright? Suzie Creemcheeze sez: "I don't know. I THINK someone tried to break in."

She's about 15' from an obviously open... kicked in door... but she doesn't KNOW if she's 'alright' either? Too much Thorozine that mornin or what?

The other one... young girl... Brinks... "We're calling your parents now!" Oh... how nice. Mummy 'n Daddy will come to save you. (like they could)

'First nite in the new house... BG kicks in the door. Hero hubby slams the bedroom door 'n then looks out the window like a total wimp. Wifee-poo is on the phone with Brinks. I think he's run off.

My house... BG kicks in the door... (Simultaneous): Blam-Blam-Blam... Boom (ka-chak) Boom (ka-chak) That's gonna make a stain hon. :uhoh:

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Weak 9mm wrote:

Seems common sense, right? You would AMAZED (horrified, maybe?)at how many people think it can. The most popular response I get to carrying a gun is, "Why do you need it?" People just don't stop to think possible senarios through, especially in low crime, suburbans areas like where I live. The idea that the police will save you is disgustingly widespread and believed like gospel truth. When confronted the illogic of, "Why carry a gun? That's the what the police are for." I'm often at a loss for what to even say in return. It's like trying to explain that Obama isn't an Arab to these extremist idiots (had to throw that in there). And, yes, people with alarm systems (which are great for when you're not home) but no firearms are funny people indeed.

Deanimator

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
Weak 9mm wrote:

Seems common sense, right? You would AMAZED (horrified, maybe?)at how many people think it can. The most popular response I get to carrying a gun is, "Why do you need it?" People just don't stop to think possible senarios through, especially in low crime, suburbans areas like where I live. The idea that the police will save you is disgustingly widespread and believed like gospel truth. When confronted the illogic of, "Why carry a gun? That's the what the police are for." I'm often at a loss for what to even say in return. It's like trying to explain that Obama isn't an Arab to these extremist idiots (had to throw that in there). And, yes, people with alarm systems (which are great for when you're not home) but no firearms are funny people indeed.

Just ask them why the six women in the Tinley Park, Illinois Lane Bryant didn't just call the police instead of allowinga gunmanto herd them into a backroom and shoot them, killing five.

My mother thinks that way... even though she lives just up the road from that Lane Bryant. She told me she didn't want me to carry here in Ohio where it's legal. I asked her if she was planning on moving here to serve as my bodyguard. That ended that line of argument until I actually got my CHL. She started the same anti-rational nonsense again. I then asked her how I could predict when somebody was going to want to harm me. she didn't have an answer for that either.

tag

imported post

Prophet wrote:
Its funny...i've been thinking the same exact thing everytime I see those stupid commercials. I can understand how such an alarm would be good if you arent home and you want the cops to get their eventually to stop the burglars from taking all of your possessions but come on.

Ifthere was a realburglar, he would bust out a window, make it into the house and an alarm goes off andhe sees a woman standing in front ofhim he isgoing to attack the woman, make her turn off the alarm, if the phone rings he'll make her answer it and give the all clear. THENhe would proceed to take his time raping her and herdaughter, kill the son, tie up the women folk forsome fun later, have all night to pack upeverything intothe family car,do somemore raping, kill the witnesses and then drive off in the family minivan to a fence and a chop shop. Makeenough cash to skipcountryand live a life somewhereelse.The burglar/rapist/murderer is sunning himself on a Brazillian beach beforeanyone evennotices that the family is missing andWAY before they ever find the bodies.

Now, if she had a mossbergpistol grip shotgun Mr. Rapist/Murdering/burglar is lying dead at the doorway he broke in and Brinks security can save the woman the trouble of calling the police.

The alarm system at my house has two codes to turn off the alarm. One REAL code, that legitimately turns it off, and the other you use to essentially silence it, but indicate you're in trouble and the police are supposed to be called. If they call, there's two passwords. One to indicate everything is ok, the other to say "I'm pretending everything is ok because I'll be killed if I don't, but I really need help."

However, I only know the "real" code and password, so that "I'm turning off the alarm but really come and help me" feature is pointless at the moment. At least in my case.

MetalChris

imported post

tag wrote:
The alarm system at my house has two codes to turn off the alarm. One REAL code, that legitimately turns it off, and the other you use to essentially silence it, but indicate you're in trouble and the police are supposed to be called. If they call, there's two passwords. One to indicate everything is ok, the other to say "I'm pretending everything is ok because I'll be killed if I don't, but I really need help."

However, I only know the "real" code and password, so that "I'm turning off the alarm but really come and help me" feature is pointless at the moment. At least in my case.
Meh...the only "security system" I need is the Remington 870 Express Magnum + 00 buck. ;)

tag

imported post

Shovelhead wrote:
The 'system' atmy house is two Min-Pins and a .45 chaser.

Excuse the ignorance, but what are Min-Pins?

Oh, and the only thing at my house is a Ruger 10/22 :( I want to get an XD45 when I get the money though...