• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Brink's Home Security

Lezchap

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
Weak 9mm wrote:
The phone cant save you. :cry:
Seems common sense, right? You would AMAZED (horrified, maybe?)at how many people think it can. The most popular response I get to carrying a gun is, "Why do you need it?" People just don't stop to think possible senarios through, especially in low crime, suburbans areas like where I live. The idea that the police will save you is disgustingly widespread and believed like gospel truth. When confronted the illogic of, "Why carry a gun? That's the what the police are for." I'm often at a loss for what to even say in return. It's like trying to explain that Obama isn't an Arab to these extremist idiots (had to throw that in there). And, yes, people with alarm systems (which are great for when you're not home) but no firearms are funny people indeed.
Point at a random person walking by, and say "That person just shot you...who's here to stop him? OH my, he just shot that girl over there too...and omg, that guy over there's been shot too...who's stoping him? Where are the cops?!?"

Don't just tell them the cops aren't there...make them realize it. It's unfortunate you can't grab them and carry them off behind the store just to prove a point....so you gotta do the best you can.

Beau

imported post

We recently purchased our first home. With in the first month 3 different alarm companies came to the door selling alarm systems. My wife thought that we should get one. My first response to here was " why the hell should i pay $50 a month for a false sense of security"? After a 20 minute discussion she saw the flaws in such a system. I used her mom as an example:

Her mother lives in one of the new nicer neighborhoods on the outs of Indy. They have one of those fancy new security systems. Problem is it's hardly ever turned on. Not only that she doesn't lock the door most of the time. On more than one occasion I've walked through the front door, through the kitchen and then behind her in her chair. I'll stand there for a minute and then tap her on the shoulder. She jumps and screams and then laughs. I just say boom your dead and walk away.

I myself have wireless sensors on the doors and windows. The only people they notify are the bad guy, my family and the neighbors. I can call 911 myself to come collect the body.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Beau wrote:
We recently purchased our first home. With in the first month 3 different alarm companies came to the door selling alarm systems. My wife thought that we should get one. My first response to here was " why the hell should i pay $50 a month for a false sense of security"?

<snip>
Those salesmen don't stick around long when they see the sticker on my door:

If you trespass on this property, watch for flying objects.
THEY CONTAIN LEAD.

Theguy

imported post

anyone know of a website that makes custom signs, I want one in the style of the "this home protected by the False Sense of Security co." that says "This home protected by ME and my shotgun."

TheMrMitch

imported post

Theguy wrote:
anyone know of a website that makes custom signs, I want one in the style of the "this home protected by the False Sense of Security co." that says "This home protected by ME and my shotgun."
Make one on your computer and attach it to construction paper or cardboard.:dude:

Tomahawk

imported post

Brinks sends their punks to my door every so often to try to talk me into subscribing to their service. They are teenagers, mostly, with smart mouths and no salesman skills other than the hard sell. Needless to say, I tell them to beat it.

But I will say this for private security companies: their service is voluntary. If you don't think it's worth it, you can cancel it and stop paying for it. Try doing that with government "security" services.

Nelson_Muntz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I had returned home from running errands and was still OC'ing when I had to answer the doorbell.

Alarm salesman looks me up and down and looks in the window at my large dog barking at him and says "I don't think I can help you".

"No, you can't." :p

MetalChris

imported post

Nelson_Muntz wrote:
I had returned home from running errands and was still OC'ing when I had to answer the doorbell.

Alarm salesman looks me up and down and looks in the window at my large dog barking at him and says "I don't think I can help you".

"No, you can't." :p
Priceless.

buster81

imported post

Here's a question for you guys. I have a yard sign up asI believe this to be as effective as an actual alarm system. It says that the home is protected by both remotevideo and perimeter security. I'm under no delusion that a talented burgler would be detered by this, however, your average thug will think twice as defeating these systems would be beyond his skill set, and the neighbors house is an open door.

I'm also considering puttinga sign up along the lines of the "Protected by Smith and Wesson" stickers you see around. So, the question is, do folks think it's a good idea to let burglers know that there are weapons in the house?

Thecompany I work for does industrial security, the hard core type with entry access, video, perimeter security, etc. That wireless crap peddled by the Brinks and ADT types is worthless, and so easily defeated, that i think it might actually be better for those homes to not advertise they have an easy access security system, and leave the BG's guessing.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

buster81 wrote:
I'm also considering puttinga sign up along the lines of the "Protected by Smith and Wesson" stickers you see around. So, the question is, do folks think it's a good idea to let burglers know that there are weapons in the house?

Personally, no. It's an invitation to break in and steal them when you aren't home, or a warning to come armed when you are. I'd rather them be surprising with a gun in their face then to walk in expecting it and prepared for it. That's just IMO though. It could go either way. Although I agree on your other point, a sign like yoursis as much of a deterrent as an actual alarm. An ADT/Brinks sign is a warning to cut the external phone line.

Tomahawk

imported post

I wouldn't put up such a sign, either. My own policy is to not advertise to any of my neighbors that I have any firearms in the house. At least one of them is a very untrustworthy individual, and he may have friends. I want to have a "boring" appearance for my home, nothing that stands out.

TheMrMitch

imported post

I live in the country. You could rig your door to detonate if crashed. Note mercury switch in plain sight? The open warning eliminates it as a 'booby' trap.

Door.jpg

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Brinks... ADT etc. appeal to the sheep. The sheep will not defend themselves. Somebody else will do that for them. It reenforces 'victimhood'. They will pay that someone to defend them. (or so they're led to believe) The TVmarketing by Brinks enforces this idea of security. It's a false assumption. Obviously they make money doin' it. The BG 'always' runs away... which is another false assumption. Of course... you never hear the audio alarm in these commercials either. The phone rings. Yeah... like you're gonna have time to answer it... or expose yerself to the BG in doing so.They sell false hopes. 'Same as politicians.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
Brinks... ADT etc. appeal to the sheep. The sheep will not defend themselves. Somebody else will do that for them. It reenforces 'victimhood'. They will pay that someone to defend them. (or so they're led to believe) The TVmarketing by Brinks enforces this idea of security. It's a false assumption. Obviously they make money doin' it. The BG 'always' runs away... which is another false assumption. Of course... you never hear the audio alarm in these commercials either. The phone rings. Yeah... like you're gonna have time to answer it... or expose yerself to the BG in doing so.They sell false hopes. 'Same as politicians.

Who protects your house when no one is home? Ever gone on vacation? Do your guns watch the house for you?

Do you have a fire extinguisher but no fire alarm? :quirky

Alarm systems have a purpose, albeit not the one most commonly marketed for. Let's not jump to the other extreme and say they're worthless and for "the sheep." Recognize them for what they are: one prudent step, of many,in protecting your property.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:

Who protects your house when no one is home? Ever gone on vacation? Do your guns watch the house for you?

Do you have a fire extinguisher but no fire alarm? :quirky

Alarm systems have a purpose, albeit not the one most commonly marketed for. Let's not jump to the other extreme and say they're worthless and for "the sheep." Recognize them for what they are: one prudent step, of many,in protecting your property.
My neighbors LARGE dogs... All four of 'em. My grounds are their territory as well. Or the neighbors. We're so far out in the cholla it'd take an hour for the Sheriff to respond anyway. The guns are insured... as is the house 'n the rest of it. What's bein' marketed here is personal protection... which it isn't. One vehicle is always in the carport. Doubtful you can visualize a desertarea such as this.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I don't depend on them...I just know they're there. I've watched their 'pack' reactions to strangers. I feed 'em too.

'Got more'n 2 legged varmints to be aware of... 'Got a wolf or two just moved in the past week or so to the SE. Mexican Gray's... not as big as the Timber's... but bigger'n coyotes. (They're all over the place)'Diff'rint howl than the coyote's. 'Had Mountain Lion last year... 'horses 'n the burro's went nuts when they got a whiff. The neighbors dogs all sound an alarm... 'n you can tell from the type of bark what may be about 'n the dire ction it's in. .Townies 'n noobs don't pay attention to this kind'a stuff.

"He who defends all defends nothing."

I'm not paranoid either... but I'm armed and capable.

Tomahawk

imported post

Well, I was pushing your buttons a little, sorry for being an a-hole. But the point AWDstylz was trying to make, and which I agree with, is that there's nothing wrong with making an arrangment to have your home watched for you while you're away, whether you make a verbal agreement with your neighbors and their dogs, or you sign a service contract with an outfit like Brinks, whatever suits you.

I'm all for individualism; I believe being ready and equipped to defend your home alone is a good idea, but there's nothing wrong with teaming up with friends.

The Brinks commercials are, of course, aimed at sheeple-type people. It's all PR.