• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Unsupported chamber?

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

redlegagent wrote:
You know there is a really simple solution for this. As it is primarily a Glock problem....buy XD's. They don't have this issue. :celebrate
Yeah, well.... Just not a big fan of the XD's....:uhoh:

smash29

imported post

Jeez, this Glock/XD thing is as bad as the Red Sox/Yankees!

Then again both the Glock and XD are good guns while the Yankees are the epitomy of evil in the world with no redeeming qualities whatsover so maybe not...

:D

opusd2

imported post

I guess you'll simply have to run those rounds as practice ones, I can see no other safe solution... Ha ha... Maybe I'm just looking for an excuse to rotate my ammunition so it doesn't go stale on me. Does anyone buy that story?

smash29

imported post

I agree with your reasoning, it'll sure be some expensive practice though!

I had planned on only using +P for an initial fuctionality check and carry but I just noticed that the bulk ammoI bought in addition to the HPs is +P also. I thought I noticed a bit more recoil with it buthad assumed that the GA Arms stuff was just loaded differently. I have my answer now!

opusd2

imported post

I've found that practice, for me, is always worth taking. Considering I always keep some ammunition saved for purposes of hunting or practical use, burning through some rounds every now and then just keeps me acquainted with the weapon for when it is needed at a moments notice.

shad0wfax

imported post

Gator5713 wrote:
redlegagent wrote:
You know there is a really simple solution for this. As it is primarily a Glock problem....buy XD's. They don't have this issue. :celebrate
Yeah, well.... Just not a big fan of the XD's....:uhoh:

HK USP's! (Or Ruger P944 if you're on a tighter budget and want a .40 S&W)

There's always Smith & Wesson's M&P series too.

My $0.02 for alternatives. Why is everyone so stuck on Glocks and Springfield XD's? :)

opusd2

imported post

I'm just a fan of the XD because I own one and know how well it shoots. I had a Ruger P89 and was amazed at how well it shot, but sold it to a friend of mine. The Beretta I have is ok. Nothing I'd write home about.

Those are the reasons I am an XD fan. If I owned more in that style I'd maybe have a different answer, but the truth remains I love my XD and would keep it as my one and only pillow gun - if I had to. However for a DA, I'd have to say that the Ruger makes a fine piece.

architect

imported post

AbNo wrote:
It would most likely vary from gun to gun, mag to mag, or even cartridge to cartridge.

Let me know how that micrometer checking went out. :)
My experience is not with a micrometer, but a digital caliper applied to Fed Hydrashocks carried in a G17.

I few years ago I heard about the issue of rechambering shortening rounds. I had not, for a while, expended any of this pistol's carry ammo at the range, but had unloaded/reloaded the same two cartridges alternately in the pipe before and after each range session, maybe ten to fifteen sessions total. Drop carry mag., unload, range session with practice mags, load from mag., drop mag., top off with cartridge pulled in step 1, etc.

When I checked, I found the top round was about 1.046", the second about 1.052", and the rest of the mag. was between 1.1" and 1.102" inclusive. I believe that min. OAL for the 9x19 is 1.050".

When I fired the short round shortly after this, taking care/paying a lot of attention, it did not seem to be any more energetic than the rest of the magazine, nor did the pistol blow up. I now pay more attention to this issue, and "rotate" carried-in-the-pipe rounds in all my self-loaders, as well as try to be less thrifty about shooting mags full of expensive carry ammo regularly.

AbNo

imported post

Eh, you only need one mag, because you only get one shot.

Kinda sucks being at Ground Zero for that, though. It's not like you get much choice. ;)

architect

imported post

foxcall wrote:
hmm , interesting - the things I learn from this forum. So this is only a problem with unsupported chambers such as the glock, correct?
Actually, no. Any round that chambers with the bullet touching or almost touching the rifling is susceptible to "round shortening." These are most pistol calibers that headspace on the cartridge rim. Obviously, different firearms have different chambers, so the effect will be seen more with certain brands and models, but I would not assume any pistol is immune. Also, the strength of the bullet crimp will affect how quickly the effect is seen.

It is safest to check periodically, and/or follow appropriate practices to avoid excessive rechambering of carry rounds.

This issue is not related to the Glock's widely-publicised kB issues that some feel are a result of not-fully-supported chambers. The term "unsupported chamber" is not technically accurate. There is a lot on this subject in the GlockTalk forums and there is a FAQ on this at <http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/glock-kb-faq.html>.