• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Gun Rights in Peril" - GOA

Are gun rights in peril?

• Yes, the gun grabbers are coming. Bury them, or kiss'em goodbye

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe. It's not going to be perilous.

• No, the Dems can't implement an anti-gun agenda

• Total voters

Statesman

imported post

Great analysis on why we may be up the creek without a paddle. Buy up everything you can, become an activist, join the GOA, join the NRA and donate $$$.

I believe many House and Senate seats are up in two years, so pay attention to your area, campaign for and vote for your local pro gun rights congressional representative.

####################################################

Source: Gun Owners of America: http://www.gunowners.org/a110508.htm

http://www.gunowners.org/a110508.htm
Nov 2008

Gun Rights in Peril
Barack Obama in the White House; many pro-gunners out of Congress
Gun Owners of America
8001 Forbes Place, Suite 102
Springfield, VA 22151
(703)321-8585
Wednesday, November 5, 2008
Based on his voting record in the Illinois state senate and in the U.S. Senate, President-elect Barack Obama will be the most anti-Second Amendment president in the history of America.

In January, the new President will govern alongside congressional leadership, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, who are also extremely hostile to gun rights and who now enjoy greatly expanded majorities.

There can be little doubt about the direction in which gun rights are headed. The questions are how far will the anti-gunners go and how fast will they move?

Many comparisons have been made to the first two years of the first Clinton Administration, in which one party controlled both ends of Pennsylvania Avenue.

Almost all experts agree that it was Clinton's overreaching on issues like gun control that cost his party control of Congress. Barack Obama will start out governing with even larger majorities than did Clinton.

Obama ran a campaign high on rhetoric and short on specifics. The President-elect claims he will govern from the middle, but the question for gun owners is which Obama will show up at the White House -- the "centrist" from the campaign trail, or the radical anti-Second Amendment extremist who supports gun bans, waiting periods for firearm purchases, one gun a month restrictions, and more?

His party's large gains in the Congress give the incoming President more room to maneuver with a radical agenda.

An equally important question is the outlook for gun rights in the new Congress. That Obama will sign any anti-gun bill that gets to his desk is a certainty. But what can gun owners expect from the new Congress?

Hopes of Congressional restraint on gun issues dimmed with each election return as Pelosi's and Reid's majorities grew to historic proportions.

While there are many moderately pro-gun Democrats in Congress, they're not the ones calling the shots. The leadership is completely in the anti-gun camp, so expanding their majority would have a negative impact on gun rights regardless who filled those seats.

Unfortunately, though, many seats that flipped parties also went from strong pro-gun to strong anti-gun. Gun owners suffered heavy losses in the Senate. Here's a look at five Senate seats that switched parties (all switches went from Republican to Democrat).

Colorado -- The retirement of A-rated Senator Wayne Allard set up a battle between anti-gun Rep. Mark Udall and pro-gun former Rep. Bob Schaffer. This is one of three senate seats that flipped from "A" to "F."

New Hampshire -- Pro-gun Senator John Sununu was defeated by F-rated former governor Jeanne Shaheen, another "A" to "F" shift.

New Mexico -- Long-time Senator Pete Domenici, who was D-rated and usually voted against gun owners, was replaced by F-rated Congressman Tom Udall. Udall defeated A-rated Representative Steve Pearce, making this a big loss for gun owners.

North Carolina -- Republican Sen. Elizabeth Dole ran as a pro-gun control candidate for president in 2000. Since being elected to the Senate from the Tar Heel state, however, Mrs. Dole compiled a good pro-gun record. Dole's defeat at the hands of F-rated anti-gunner Kay Hagan is a dramatic flip for gun rights.

Virginia -- F-rated Republican John Warner retired. Former governor Mark Warner (no relation) trounced "A" rated Jim Gilmore, also a former governor. Either of the candidates would have been an improvement over the retiring Senator, but Mark Warner refused to answer the GOA survey and has a mixed record on gun issues.

In the battle for the U.S. House of Representatives, gun owners also were hit hard.

Of the 18 incumbents who were defeated, 15 were pro-gun (only two were replaced by a pro-gunner). Of particular disappointment to gun owners were the losses of Republican representatives Marilyn Musgrave (CO-4), Tom Feeney (FL-24), Bill Sali (ID-1), and Tim Walberg (MI-7). These representatives were among the most ardent Second Amendment supporters.

In the 32 open House seats, the results were mixed. Thirteen seats went to A-rated candidates, while six went to F-rated anti-gunners. Nine new congressmen are "Not Rated," meaning they have no record and refused to fill out a GOA questionnaire. Four new members fall somewhere in the middle, leaning toward a pro-gun position but no guarantees. Note: a handful of close races across the country are obviously headed for recounts, but this is how things look at the moment.

The A-rated winners in open seat elections are: Tom McClintock (R-CA) (this race is still subject to change), Duncan Hunter (R-CA), Bill Posey (R-FL), Mike Coffman (R-CO), Debbie Halvorson (D-IL), Aaron Schock (R-IL), Brett Guthrie (R-KY), Erik Paulsen (R-MN), Blaine Luetkemeyer (R-MO), Christopher Lee (R-NY), Glenn Thompson (R-PA), Jason Chaffetz (R-UT), and Cynthia Lummis (R-WY). These representatives will have their work cut out for them, as the new Congress has moved decidedly in the anti-gun direction and many pro-gun leaders were defeated.

All in all, Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid can’t help but be emboldened by their gains and there can be no denying that gun control legislation is on their agenda.

So what can gun owners and sportsmen do to help prevent a gun control tidal wave? Get involved and stay engaged!

Gun Owners of America will continue its efforts as Capitol Hill's no-compromise gun lobby. But GOA's effectiveness depends on your activism. Please continue to send the e-mails to your congressmen, and forward GOA Action Alerts to pro-gun friends.

If you are not a member of Gun Owners of America, please join today so that you can start receiving our newsletters and other important gun rights information.

The entire Congress needs to know that we're watching, and if they attempt to ban even one firearm or expand unconstitutional gun control in any way they will pay at the polls in the next election.

compmanio365

imported post

Not just gun rights, but all our rights are in jeopardy now......and frankly, I don't think there's anything the NRA, GOA, or anyone else for that matter can do about it now, from a legal standpoint. The dems have too much control now and the gun grabbers can run wild without opposition. The NRA and GOA will be laughed off now with no supporting majority in any branch of government to turn to......

uncoolperson

imported post

couldn't decide if this needed it's own thread

but, dang...

"Address Gun Violence in Cities: As president, Barack Obama would repeal the Tiahrt Amendment, which restricts the ability of local law enforcement to access important gun trace information, and give police officers across the nation the tools they need to solve gun crimes and fight the illegal arms trade. Obama and Biden also favor commonsense measures that respect the Second Amendment rights of gun owners, while keeping guns away from children and from criminals who shouldn't have them. They support closing the gun show loophole and making guns in this country childproof. They also support making the expired federal Assault Weapons Ban permanent, as such weapons belong on foreign battlefields and not on our streets."
http://www.change.gov/agenda/urbanpolicy/

MetalChris

imported post

Again I ask why the hell would anyone bury their guns? What is the point? You might as well just hand them over if you're gonna bury them...

MetalChris

imported post

KansasMustang wrote:
I'll not bury mine, I'll give em to 'em, one bullet ata time
Hooah! Someone who gets it!

I'm with you Sgt Major...if they want 'em they'll have to wait for them to cool down first.

KansasMustang

imported post

I think I can still make a thousand meter shot, dunno these ole eyes ya know :( but I know that 300 win. mag is up to it ;) Seriously folks keep em oiled locked and cocked and ready.

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I'll not bury them; but I will strategically 'hide' them at various 'fall back' points and a few close trusted friends will know where they all are....
That is what I took 'bury' to mean. They can take whatever they can find if there are any of them left when my fingers go cold, my friends will then be able to gather the rest to continue with their fight!

Gordie

imported post

As most politicians in Washington want nothing more than power, our best course of action is to prevent these measures from passing in the first place by reminding them of what happened after the the Clinton ASW Ban. Pass gun laws if you want, but it will not prevent crime, it will cost you control of the Congress.

This will have more affect than you might realize, after all,how many candidates run on the platform of gun control now asopposed to 20 years ago? The last thing thatmost of themwant is to be labeled "gun grabber".

If gun owners put a little political pressure on these people in office we might prevent this from happening, if they get off their cans and really get to work and put a lot of pressure on them we can definitely protect our rights.

This will require that we as gun owners actually put forth no small amount of effort. We need to educate those around us to the facts about gun control and crime, gun control and racism, gun control and governmental control. Learn the history yourself then teach those around you. When an intelligent, logical person is presented with the facts, they will usually make the right choice, but they must first be presented with the truth to make that informed decision. The media won't do this for you, nor will the education system, nor will the courts.

We must also remember that when dealing with someone that is not familiar with our cause that we don't want to beat them over the head with it, this will only solidify their feelings against guns and gun owners. Introducing someone to the shooting world in a safe and intelligent manner is the best way to change their minds about guns.

Ask yourself, when was the last time that I invited someone to the range, a match, or just plinking? If the answer is more than 6 months, why? Take them out with a .22, you can shoot almost all day for less than $20. A good time that's free will convince almost anyone to come with you that first time. After that, most people are hooked, or at least not hostile to our cause.

Just remember, that as long as we can fight and win the soft battle, we won't have to fight the hard one.

EMSIG

imported post

I would agree with that, I have been preaching it in my area! I do invite, I take my employee's, my wife just signed up for her carry. I always carry, I try to open carry as much s posible.

400HP

imported post

Gordie wrote:
As most politicians in Washington want nothing more than power, our best course of action is to prevent these measures from passing in the first place by reminding them of what happened after the the Clinton ASW Ban. Pass gun laws if you want, but it will not prevent crime, it will cost you control of the Congress.

This will have more affect than you might realize, after all,how many candidates run on the platform of gun control now asopposed to 20 years ago? The last thing thatmost of themwant is to be labeled "gun grabber".

If gun owners put a little political pressure on these people in office we might prevent this from happening, if they get off their cans and really get to work and put a lot of pressure on them we can definitely protect our rights.
At first your argument makes some sense....until you realize that a majority of interested parties most likely voted R anyway. Therefore they got to power without the likes of most of us..................So they could care less. I think they will gun grab. They don't need our votes, I believe.

KansasMustang

imported post

Gordie wrote

Just remember, that as long as we can fight and win the soft battle, we won't have to fight the hard one.
'Im just wondering if today any of them give a S$#t about being called gun grabbers? I think that in Obama's regime they'll wear it as a *badge of courage*
Political pressure? WHERE ? Doubt seriously if there's much left out there. I'm betting we're going to see some more of Ruby Ridge and Waco sort of actions.

M

mdgary

imported post

Maybe they can gather up some of those illegal alienswhile theytry to take our guns. I'm sure that will bealot easier...
mexican.gif

AbNo

imported post

KansasMustang wrote:
I'm just wondering if today any of them give a S$#t about being called gun grabbers? I think that in Obama's regime they'll wear it as a *badge of courage*
Political pressure? WHERE ? Doubt seriously if there's much left out there. I'm betting we're going to see some more of Ruby Ridge and Waco sort of actions.
I'm also thinking someone may get fed up and set up a flanking position if that happens again.

bignflnut

imported post

GOA had McCain at an F- and Obama at an F.

We're right where we were before the election. I'm sure GOA would agree, they did not endorse McCain.

But it's good to know the Republicans are sufficiently fearful about the loss of our Unalienable Rights (since they let the previous POTUS strip us of so many without a fight).

Richard6218

imported post

In a similar vein I just received the following in my spam folder: one spam that's welcome

Dear NAGR Supporter,

The 2008 General Election brought about dramatic change in Washington, with the Democrats now controlling Congress and the White House.]

It is important that we rally Second Amendment supporters together to prepare for the difficult times ahead.

I need your help to do this.

It won't cost you a penny, and will only take a minute or two!

Please forward this e-mail to your friends and family who believe it is our constitutional right to keep and bear arms and encourage them to sign up for NAGR's Free Email Alert Program at http://nationalgunrights.org/signup.php

NAGR can only do so much; it is up to you how successful this campaign will be.

If we do not reach more Second Amendment supporters in the coming weeks, I'm afraid our voice will not be loud enough to drown out the liberal gun-grabbers in Washington.

Will you help us?

Please forward this email to as many people youcan think of and encourage them to sign up for NAGR's Email Alert Program.

Together we will prevail.

Dudley Brown
Executive Director

National Association for Gun Rights

TO MY FELLOW SECOND AMENDMENT SUPPORTERS

I'd like to tell you why I joined National Association For Gun Rights and why I hope you will join me on NAGR's Free Email Alert Program at http://nationalgunrights.org/signup.php

NAGR is dedicated to standing up for our Second Amendment gun rights.

Now more than ever, it is important that Second Amendment supporters make our voices heard in Washington.

With a large Democrat majority in Washington, we must call on pro-gun Democrats to cross party lines and protect the Second Amendment.]
Wemust stand together. Thedays ahead will not be easy, but we will prevail.]
To do this, we must rally as manySecond Amendment supports as we canand project one loud voice for gun rights in Washington.

I encourage you to sign up for NAGR's Email Alert Program that will allow you to get up to the minute information about critical happenings concerning your gun rights.]
Pleasesign up for this program at]http://nationalgunrights.org/signup.php

Remember, the most powerful weapon in politics is information, and we must stay informed to stay in the game.

Once you sign up, make sure you forward this email to your friends and familyto keep them informed on the issues and let them be a part of keeping Washington accountable too.