• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CHL for out of state residents (Vancouver, WA)

RichardDavies

imported post

I live in Vancouver, but work in Portland and would like to get a CHL for Oregon. I understand that I can apply at any of the Oregon county sheriff's offices. Are there any recommendations as to which office to apply at? I'd like to apply at whichever one gives me the best chance of getting approved.

Thanks!

udy

imported post

I have herd that Astoria is the place to go in Clatsup county for out of staters. I doubt they would consider giving you one in Multnomah Co. Your state is much more generous than ours for out of state licences.

grishnav

imported post

My understanding is that Multnomah County is currently not playing games with non-res CHLs, based on the statements of the friendly lady behind the desk.

udy

imported post

grishnav wrote:
My understanding is that Multnomah County is currently not playing games with non-res CHLs, based on the statements of the friendly lady behind the desk.
Thats good to hear. Is that because they finallycanned Bernie Guisto? I know he did every thing in his power to stop citizens from owning firearms. I think Bob Skiper is a good man though, glad he is in there now.

grishnav

imported post

udy wrote:
grishnav wrote:
Thats good to hear. Is that because they finallycanned Bernie Guisto? I know he did every thing in his power to stop citizens from owning firearms. I think Bob Skiper is a good man though, glad he is in there now.

I'm a little confused as to the entirety of the situation, and I'm sure we'll never know all the details, but I've been told that Bernie didn't really play with CHLs either. On one hand, Multnomah is the liberal county in Oregon, so you wouldn't expect them to issue them. On the other hand, Multnomah County never met a fee they didn't like. All I know is that when I went to recover my CHL mere moments after having finally been served the paperwork revoking it, I mentioned to the lady who did the issuance that I was moving to Washington soon, and she told me that I wouldn't have any problem getting a CHL; they currently issued to anyone that met the legal requirements. That was in early August, shortly after Skipper took power.

Rangemaster

imported post

You could also apply in Columbia County (St. Helens); they have no problem w/issuing WA residents a CHL provided:

1. You show proof of handgun safety training per ORS 166.291;

2. You provide the Sheriff a letter stating a "compelling business or personal need" (easily done);

3. You either submit a letter giving the Sheriff permission to run a mental health background check on you w/Olympia (WA state) OR you have a current WA Concealed Pistol License.

Contact me if you need further info...

Gregg Smith,Rangemaster

NRA-Certified Pistol Instructor

Clatskanie Rifle & Pistol Club

email:rangemaster@charter.net

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Well, there's no "good cause" in the statute. A basic and simple "I live, work, and travel in Oregon, and wish to carry there lawfully for my personal protection" should work in both Multnomah and Washington counties.

Btw, the comment about Bernie Giusto taking away guns. That was Sheriff Dan Noelle that you're talking about.

udy

imported post

Actually I ment Bernie Giusto. I heard him say as much on the radio a couple years ago on the Lars Larson show. He said it in kind of a round about way but said it none the less. I then after hearing that sent him an e-mail to display my dissapointment in his belief. He then reafirmed to methat as Sheriff his first responsibility is the safety of his officers and the easiest way to make them safe is to take away our guns altogether. He also backs Ginny Burdicks gun grabbing bills when ever she comes up with a new one. No matter now since he is no longer in the picture any way.

Rangemaster

imported post

This is what we advise as a "sample" letter...

(date)

Sheriff xxxx:

I routinely travel throughout Oregon for both business and personal reasons. I respectfully request your office allow me to apply for (and subsequently issue) an Oregon Concealed Handgun License for the purpose of personal defense. I also present with this letter proof of handgun safety training, a completed xxxxx County CHL application and other supporting documentation and fees required by ORS 166.291 and requested by the CHL Unit.

(signature)
(your full printed legal name, address, phone number)]

RichardDavies

imported post

Rangemaster wrote:
This is what we advise as a "sample" letter...

(date)

Sheriff xxxx:

I routinely travel throughout Oregon for both business and personal reasons. I respectfully request your office allow me to apply for (and subsequently issue) an Oregon Concealed Handgun License for the purpose of personal defense. I also present with this letter proof of handgun safety training, a completed xxxxx County CHL application and other supporting documentation and fees required by ORS 166.291 and requested by the CHL Unit.

(signature)
(your full printed legal name, address, phone number)]
Awesome! Thank you.

Puddin99

Campaign Veteran
imported post

http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/166.html

Here are the training requirements.

(A) Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the State Department of Fish and Wildlife or a similar agency of another state if handgun safety was a component of the course;

(B) Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course if handgun safety was a component of the course;

(C) Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by law enforcement, community college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or a law enforcement agency if handgun safety was a component of the course;

(D) Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, reserve law enforcement officers or any other law enforcement officers if handgun safety was a component of the course;

(E) Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a handgun through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;

(F) Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state, unless the license has been revoked; or

(G) Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a firearms instructor certified by a law enforcement agency or the National Rifle Association if handgun safety was a component of the course;

RichardDavies

imported post

Thanks. The problem is I took the class a long time ago and can't remember if handgun safety was a part of the course. So I was wondering if by chance there was anyone else who's tried to use an Idaho hunter education class to meet the requirement.

Rangemaster

imported post

Just a guess, but the Sheriff's Dept. might make you show a course outline/syllabus for the class you took to prove it included handgun safety.

My advice is to take a handgun class... that way there is no doubt.

FMCDH

imported post

13 Nov 2008: (OT) http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum4/13469.html
I just so happen to be going about this with Washington County right now. My application goes off in the mail tomorrow morning. I have heard that Sheriff Rob Gordon there is fair on this type of thing, and they have a VERY professional 4 page application. Sheriff Gordon is also very protective of his applicants rights not to have their CHL info published or available to the public.

17 Nov 2008:
I just got a call from Washington County Sheriff's Office and they are denying ALL out of state applications unless the applicant has a business interest withing the county itself. I was advised to try Multnomah. I did not talk to Sheriff Gordon, but a receptionist. The exact wording was..."The sheriff is cracking down on out of state applications." :cry: So...don't bother with Washington County.

I even own vacation property within Oregon itself, so I'm not sure now what constitutes "legitimate".

Any other experiences out there regarding this?

Update: Ok, I just filled out and will be sending an application to Sheriff Bob Skipper in Multnomah. Hopefully I will have better luck. I will post when I receive word one way or another.