• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ruger Mini-14

AZkopper

imported post

I own a new Mini-14 (580 series). Ruger has solved most of the accruacy issues. The gun shoots well, is accurarte, and is a blast to shoot.

Mini's are chambered for both .5.56 or .223. They shoot 5.56 or .223 just as easily. The manual says as much.

Buy factory 20 round magazines. While some after markets work (depending on which generation of mini you have), it is usually a hit-or-miss game, with lots of returns to the store.

The only drawback with mini's are that there are not a load of after-market parts, so you are relying on Ruger only (not a big issue for me,since Ruger is here in Prescott!).

Older mini's are hit-and-miss with initial accuracy, however by spending a few bucks on an accu-strut and a muzzel brake/flash supressor, things tighten up pretty well.

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

longwatch wrote:
It is perfectly safe to shoot .223 Remington or 5.56x45mm in Mini-14s. The owners manual states so.
COOL!!!!!:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

Now, do they sell clips for the Mini-14 that hold more than 5 rds? Not that I would ever need more than that of course... just a simple curiosity question:uhoh::uhoh::uhoh::uhoh:

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

AZkopper wrote:
I own a new Mini-14 (580 series). Ruger has solved most of the accruacy issues. The gun shoots well, is accurarte, and is a blast to shoot.

Mini's are chambered for both .5.56 or .223. They shoot 5.56 or .223 just as easily. The manual says as much.

Buy factory 20 round magazines. While some after markets work (depending on which generation of mini you have), it is usually a hit-or-miss game, with lots of returns to the store.

The only drawback with mini's are that there are not a load of after-market parts, so you are relying on Ruger only (not a big issue for me,since Ruger is here in Prescott!).

Older mini's are hit-and-miss with initial accuracy, however by spending a few bucks on an accu-strut and a muzzel brake/flash supressor, things tighten up pretty well.
Thanks! You answered my question as/before I posted it!

zoom6zoom

imported post

Gator5713 wrote:
Now, do they sell clips for the Mini-14 that hold more than 5 rds? Not that I would ever need more than that of course... just a simple curiosity question:uhoh::uhoh::uhoh::uhoh:
There's almost as much after market bolt-on crap for the 14 as there is for AR's. Plenty of different mags. There was even one outfit that had a drum available, don't know if it's still available.

2a4all

imported post

After much re/soul/searching, I finally bought my new mini-14 today!

Don't know when I'll get a chance to try it out, but I did order 2 20rd mags from Ruger (gun came with a 5rd mag).

FogRider

imported post

I picked up a Mini 14 myself last Sunday, and put a nice Leopould VXII on it on Monday. Now I too am looking for some more mags. I intend to go to the gunshow this weekend, so can anyone tell me what would be a good price for some 10-20rd mags?

mrbiggles

Banned
imported post

FogRider wrote:
I picked up a Mini 14 myself last Sunday, and put a nice Leopould VXII on it on Monday. Now I too am looking for some more mags. I intend to go to the gunshow this weekend, so can anyone tell me what would be a good price for some 10-20rd mags?
$30-$40

2a4all

imported post

mrbiggles wrote:
FogRider wrote:
$30-$40
Check out Ruger (www.ruger.com). They're having an "inauguration sale", offering 20rd factory mags for $29.99 thru their on-line store.