• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Peaceful OC service project - Utah

cthorson

imported post

Hi all, This is my first post... Pls be kind to me.

I've been doing some research from other states, and I think the best way to get public acceptance is to serve the community. Go to youtube and search for open carry. There is a sea of people's videos showing their encounter with people who just dont understand guns, and are afraid of OC.

One video stood out to me. A few people staged an OC trash pick up. I thought it was great!

I OC, and I think it is a right, not to be taken away. I also like to serve my community and do good. Why not combine the two.

Would anyone else like to set up a Utah OC trash pick up?

If so, tell me where you'd like to do an OC trash pick up. If I can get a small (or large) group to sign up, I will arrange everything else. I will even donate free custom printed t-shirts. (so tell me your t-shirt size when comitting to the OC trash pickup... IT IS FREE TO YOU) .. If you have a logo design or idea for this event t-shirt, please let me know. You have to be OCing to get the free t-shirt.

Does this sound like a good idea, or totally stupid. Let me know, but please post nice things.

Thanks!

LovesHisXD45

imported post

Sweet! I'm up for it. I just hope we can do it when the weather gets better again in the spring. It's kinda hard to do it in heavy coats and stuff that will most likely cover up the sidearm during the activity.

It would be great to notify the press as well, so they can come out and take some shots and do some quick interviews. That would really help us get the word out and show the community that we are not just a bunch of nut jobs looking for attention.

Excellent idea,

Kevin

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I would be game for something like this. We tried earlier this year to set up a deal with the Adopt a Highway program, but that fell through when we couldn't find an acceptable location...

Keep us informed on your plans with this, and welcome to OCDO.

cthorson

imported post

That is a perfect idea with the press.! I have some press connections. Once we get it figured out I can make some arrangements.

cthorson

imported post

First thing, Can we agree on a place?

I agree we should do it soon.

ScottyT

imported post

When looking for a place, be sure to check on any surrounding schools. Not all of our members have their CFP and we don't want to have to exclude them.

My thought:

Jordan River Parkway (especially in the Murray section that is illegally posted no firearms?:p)

cthorson

imported post

We can do Jordan River Parkway if you wanted. Any more ideas to consider?

Wherever it is, I plan on notifying the city, so they are on-board and do not take it offensively.. It is pretty sad that people freak out about OC.
If the media is involved, and I am sure they would be interested in this lead. I want OCing to seem like a normal, everyday thing. I want to display an element of respect for the community, while serving the community, while OCing.

I havent been to the Jordan river parkway to see the sign, but is it meant that no firearms should be discharged such as hunting? or does it explicitly say no OCing?

ScottyT

imported post

cthorson wrote:
We can do Jordan River Parkway if you wanted. Any more ideas to consider?

Wherever it is, I plan on notifying the city, so they are on-board and do not take it offensively.. It is pretty sad that people freak out about OC.
If the media is involved, and I am sure they would be interested in this lead. I want OCing to seem like a normal, everyday thing. I want to display an element of respect for the community, while serving the community, while OCing.

I havent been to the Jordan river parkway to see the sign, but is it meant that no firearms should be discharged such as hunting? or does it explicitly say no OCing?
It just says "No Firearms". The prohibition is only posted along the Murray section, AFAIK, and it holds no legal weight whatsoever.

I am not a huge fan of notifying the city (why give them a chance to say no when we won't be breaking any laws?), but I will leave that up to the organizers. I think it would be great to let them know that a group of people is going to do a cleanup, but no need to mention firearms...

scorpioajr

imported post

cthorson wrote:
I havent...see(n) the sign....or does it explicitly say no OCing?
[font="Arial,Helvetica"] 76-10-500. Uniform law.
(1) The individual right to keep and bear arms being a constitutionally protected right, the Legislature finds the need to provide uniform laws throughout the state. Except as specifically provided by state law, a citizen of the United States or a lawfully admitted alien shall not be:
(a) prohibited from owning, possessing, purchasing, selling, transferring, transporting, or keeping any firearm at his place of residence, property, business, or in any vehicle lawfully in his possession
[/font][font="Arial,Helvetica"](b) required to have a permit or license to purchase, own, possess, transport, or keep a firearm.
(2) This part is uniformly applicable throughout this state and in all its political subdivisions and municipalities. All authority to regulate firearms shall be reserved to the state except where the Legislature specifically delegates responsibility to local authorities or state entities. Unless specifically authorized by the Legislature by statute, a local authority or state entity may not enact or enforce any ordinance, regulation, or rule pertaining to firearms. [/font][font="Arial,Helvetica"]

Edit: Cool little red highlighter feature...

[/font]

cthorson

imported post

Notification would be: "Hi, A group of people wanted to help the community. We took a vote and decided to do a trash pickup day along the Jordan River Parkway. Are there any parts of the park you'd like us to focus on?" ...

"We will be inviting a number of people. We could have a very small turn out or a large one. Either way we feel that helping the community is a good thing to do. Thank you for he opportunity to serve the community"

ScottyT

imported post

cthorson wrote:
Notification would be: "Hi, A group of people wanted to help the community. We took a vote and decided to do a trash pickup day along the Jordan River Parkway. Are there any parts of the park you'd like us to focus on?" ...

"We will be inviting a number of people. We could have a very small turn out or a large one. Either way we feel that helping the community is a good thing to do. Thank you for he opportunity to serve the community"

+1. Worded perfectly!

cthorson

imported post

So, lets set a date... This friday is another Utah get-together, so do you want to go for Nov 22nd?

Can I get an in- not in roll call with shirt sizes.

utahglock

imported post

Id be in if close to downtown. maybe the city creek canyon ? theres lots of trash near the water treatment areas. and along the trail... and its a nice hike too..

and no schools in the canyon :p and the 22nd probally be a bad day BYU vs UTAH football game :p

GO UTES!