• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First gun/OC experience in Fairfax, VA

MiCabeza

imported post

Hi,

This is my first post on this board. I've been lurking here for over a month getting a lot of good information from everyone's posts.

I purchased my first handgun last Wednesday - a Glock 19 along with a Blackhawk CQC Serpa holster. I first open carried on Thursday evening to the KFC on Lee Highway in Fairfax without incident. I was pretty nervous seeing as how this was my first time. I felt like the guy in line behind me was eyeing me but I think I was just being paranoid. I next open carried on Sunday at Amphora restaurant in Vienna again no incidents. We later went to Fair Oaks Mall but I didn't carry as I didn't want to push my luck with their no weapons policy. Later in the evening I open carried at Bloom. I feel more and more comfortable open carrying now. Because of my short haircut I wonder if people think I'm in the military or an off duty cop. I used to be frequently asked if I was in the service. My girlfriend says that no one even notices that I'm carrying a gun because of the flashlight and leatherman that I also carry. I think it's pretty distinguishable as a gun on my hip.

I'd also like to mention that I've never seen another person open carrying in Virginia, which I think it kinda interesting since this is an open carry state. I would have figured that I'd see at least one other person. I did once see a concealed carry on a gentleman at the IMAX in Dulles. I assume he must have been a police officer since it is Federal property. He was wearing a t shirt so there was no question it was a handgun from the printing.

I'm a new member of NRA and VCDL and I applied for my CHP on October 15th so I hope that it arrives soon. I got a call from the Circuit Court saying I entered my height as 5 (feet) and my weight as 5 (lbs), she new that I must have meant my height is 5'5" but she needed a valid weight. Anyone know if this means my CHP has been approved and being printed or if they need all fields filled out before tjhey can even start the processing? If it's the latter might this mean a delay in receiving it? It was my fault for not filling the application out completely. I'm just happy they didn't return the form saying incomplete or something. Just out of curiousity has anyone else made the same mistake?

-David

"Inquiring minds want to know."

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Welcome to OCDO, and thanks for joining VCDL.

Sounds as if they are trying to straighten out your CHP application without making you come in and do it over again. Can't say if you are close to the magic "Approved" yet, but in any case your 45 days are soon going to be up - either a full 5-year CHP or a signed copy of your application as a temporary permit. Be sure to stop in to see the Clerk on day 45, and sat "Thank you" on your way out with your paperwork. (Call first - it might be in the mail already.:))

As for seeing others OC-ing -- what can I tell you? I know they are around, but Fairfax is a big place. maybe you folks up there just need to get together more often?

stay safe.

skidmark

PS - for that next OC experience, try the Wal-Mart Walk. http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/730330-post50.html

nova

imported post

skidmark wrote:
As for seeing others OC-ing -- what can I tell you? I know they are around, but Fairfax is a big place. maybe you folks up there just need to get together more often?

stay safe.

skidmark

welcome to OCDO! We're having a get together not far from Fairfax this weekend, on the 9th. Link is here:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/17720.html

And also be advised that on the 17th is the VCDL meeting in Annandale! Looking forward to meeting you in the future. :)

chris in va

imported post

Wow, talk about trial by fire! First handgun, first carry, first OPEN carry...in Fairfax no less. At the Amphora!

My hat's off to you brother. Well done.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Welcome aboard. You will learn a lot from this site. Are you a native or a transplant from another state? You'll find that OC'ing here is Virginia is just about as normal and natural as breathing.. in terms of virtually no problems, that is.

I also have a G19. Took it to the range last Sunday and did terrible. Flinched like crazy. Seems the ammo dirtied up the trigger a bit because it felt a little gritty and messed up my leftoff. This is unusual because the gun is normally quite accurate and a good shooter.

Anyway, welcome and thanks for joining the NRA and VCDL.

useful_idiot

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Welcome! & Congratulations! I joined a few months ago and learned a lot reading this forum in addition to meeting great people.

When you receive your CHP from Fairfax take careful note of the Issue Date on the permit. I received mine in the mail six days before the date on the permit.

:cool:

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

MiCabeza wrote:
Hi,
<snip>
I next open carried on Sunday at Amphora restaurant in Vienna again no incidents. <snip>
Welcome!

We had an early OCDO dinner a couple of years ago there. Someone complained to a waiter that she was uncomfortable around guns, and he encouraged her to finish her salad quickly and leave, then. (At least, that's how I recall him recounting the story.) See TEX1N's response at http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/874-3.html

Maybe it's time to go back.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ed wrote:
skidmark wrote:
PS - for that next OC experience, try the Wal-Mart Walk.
Skip the walmart walk.. it's worthless.. just keep doing what you are doing.
No good OC experience is "worthless."

It was a light hearted but serious suggestion that others understand.

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ed wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
others understand.
once again.. you and skid should get a room!
:dude:
If I got a room for everyone with positive suggestions on how to promote OC, VCDL and the RKBA it would by necessity be a very large room indeed. I would expect you to be on stage, front and center at any such celebratory event.

Yata hey

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
ed wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
others understand.
once again.. you and skid should get a room!
:dude:
If I got a room for everyone with positive suggestions on how to promote OC, VCDL and the RKBA it would by necessity be a very large room indeed. I would expect you to be on stage, front and center at any such celebratory event.

Yata hey
touché

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

MiCabeza wrote:
I'd also like to mention that I've never seen another person open carrying in Virginia, which I think it kinda interesting since this is an open carry state.

-David

Maybe you just never saw any of the OC'ers because you weren't really looking. Do you think everyone out there saw YOU open carrying? Most don't even notice!!

Harper1227

imported post

Tess wrote:
MiCabeza wrote:
Hi,
<snip>
Welcome!

We had an early OCDO dinner a couple of years ago there. Someone complained to a waiter that she was uncomfortable around guns, and he encouraged her to finish her salad quickly and leave, then. <snip>

Maybe it's time to go back.
hahahaha! that's what i like to see! in fact i really would have loved to see the look on that chick's face.