Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Put your money where your mouth is for the VCDL

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

I know many of the Virginia members of OCDO have donated money to help the state of Texas in their push for Open Carry legislation. Now is the time to put your money where your mouth is to help the VCDL in their fight for our rights here in our very own Commonwealth of Virginia. If you aren't already a member of the VCDL you should do it today. It is one of the easiest ways to make a difference.

I realize the economy is poor and that for some, coming up with $25 may mean not eating for a few days, so I would like to offer up (4) memberships to help these folks out. I don't exactly know the best way to work out the logistics on this, but Phil or anyone else, if you've got an idea, please post it up.

If your are able, and would like to offer upto pay for some memberships, please post in this thread.

I realize we could just donate to the VCDL,but my goal here is to increase the membership. There is power in numbers.

Brian

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

I am not sure how we would determine "need" or if some just would accept it because it is free. I have paid for individual's first year membership on several occasions myself.

Anything that we can do to spur membership numbers is worth considering. Family memberships at a slight discount and corporate/business memberships have both been suggested but apparently did not meet with approval as nothing ever came of it.

Preaching to the choir (VCDL members) is good if it motivates them but it is to non VCDL groups of a similar bent i.e. hunt clubs, sportsman groups, gun shows that will IMO provide larger numbers.

My observations on gun show recruitment - not intended to criticize those that participate, I have as an unscheduled volunteer - VCDL booth is very passive, a sit and wait game. Wonder if a slide show or video loop on a large screen would cause more people to stop and talk. Motion attracts - ask the advertising people.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

I'm good for one membership

Post imported post

How many VCDL members are there anyway?

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

cmartin7864 wrote:
    How many VCDL members are there anyway?
    I think like 5k+ and 8k+ on the alert list. I signed up (and paid for) OpenCarrie and BullsEye Brookie.
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

I'll donate money for 3 memberships for those that can't afford.

Post imported post

hsmith wrote:
    I'll donate money for 3 memberships for those that can't afford.
    great offer.
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

I don't have a good idea how we'd determine need. I would prefer the person be serious about being active in the VCDL, as opposed to someone that just sits on the sidelines.

Post imported post

I'm sure some students from Students for Concealed Carry on Campus might be interested. College students are mostly poor, and they are already part of a gun rights organization, so they at least have some sort of motivation to further gun rights.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

We could select (with their approval) Va. SCCC members for a meritorious award membership after confirming that they were not already members - a posting on their web site or email for recommendations should do the job.

College students/VCDL members at Lobby Day would have some obvious benefits - particularly those willing to speak.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

I think this is a great idea, and I'm already a member.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

I shot off a message to the VT SCCC and told them I'd donate 3 to VT students (Since I am an alumni) with the caveat they must show up for Lobby Day.

If anyone else is interested in donating to a specific SCCC for the VCDL I will post my response from them.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

hsmith wrote:
    I shot off a message to the VT SCCC and told them I'd donate 3 to VT students (Since I am an alumni) with the caveat they must show up for Lobby Day.

If anyone else is interested in donating to a specific SCCC for the VCDL I will post my response from them.
    hsmith, I'm in for (4) memberships. Great idea guys.

Post imported post

I'm a student and a SCCC member at VT. Perhaps discounted memberships for college (or K-12) students would be a positive thing. Subsidized memberships are fine too, either way they'll increase membership, just thinking out loud.

Post imported post

Count me in the group that gets the alerts but never joined. I had every intention of joining this summer but life got in the way and I was never able to take the CCL class at the last gun show. That will change in a few weeks.

Post imported post

dcmidnight wrote:
    Count me in the group that gets the alerts but never joined. I had every intention of joining this summer but life got in the way and I was never able to take the CCL class at the last gun show. That will change in a few weeks.
    dcmidnight... welcome to the forum..

PM me (if you are comfortable) your name, address and e-mail and I will treat you to your first year membership in VCDL.

Ed
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -

Post imported post

ed wrote:
    dcmidnight wrote:
    dcmidnight... welcome to the forum..

PM me (if you are comfortable) your name, address and e-mail and I will treat you to your first year membership in VCDL.

Ed
    ok.. dcmidnight.. done! Expect VCDL membership info within 30 days.. I copied you on the e-mail confirmation.. Welcome to OCDO and VCDL!

:celebrate
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -

Post imported post

SaltH2OHokie wrote:
    I'm a student and a SCCC member at VT. Perhaps discounted memberships for college (or K-12) students would be a positive thing. Subsidized memberships are fine too, either way they'll increase membership, just thinking out loud.
    Hey everyone, first time poster here. I too am a VT student and a member of the VT SCCC chapter and the national SCCC group. I think that just giving college students a discount would be a great way to add members as I've always wanted to join the VCDL but being a student I'm poor, lol.

Post imported post

RoisinDubh wrote:
    SaltH2OHokie wrote:
    Hey everyone, first time poster here. I too am a VT student and a member of the VT SCCC chapter and the national SCCC group. I think that just giving college students a discount would be a great way to add members as I've always wanted to join the VCDL but being a student I'm poor, lol.
    PM me your name, address and e-mail and I will pay for your first year VCDL membership.
    Ed
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -

Post imported post

I appreciate the offer but I think I finally have the money so I will hopefully be signing up next week. I wouldn't want to deprive someone else more in need of a free membership.

Post imported post

RoisinDubh wrote:
    I appreciate the offer but I think I finally have the money so I will hopefully be signing up next week. I wouldn't want to deprive someone else more in need of a free membership.
    Very well.. welcome to both OCDO and VCDL.
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    <snip>
    My observations on gun show recruitment - not intended to criticize those that participate, I have as an unscheduled volunteer - VCDL booth is very passive, a sit and wait game. Wonder if a slide show or video loop on a large screen would cause more people to stop and talk. Motion attracts - ask the advertising people.

Yata hey
    <grin> You've never worked a show with Bruce Jackson, then, have you? Definitely not a sit-and-wait!
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Post imported post

Have any of you thought of 'adopting' a gun store?

Go to the VCDL web page, print off and application, make copies, buy a display, put it in the gun store, and keep it stocked.

Are the employees at your local gun store members?

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey
    We have thought of that, and actually have been gathering material for a loop for a couple of years. The issue is cost.

Example: F'burg - Table is donated by the promoter (I think table cost is $55). 1 Power drop at the Expo Center would cost $155. And that means 6 memberships are required just to pay for the drop. (edited to add and that is just EPO costs. The promoter is adding nothing at that price.

Laptops would not last all day

and show coordinators would not want to lug batteries around based on the weight alone.

I just stand in front of the table and bark. It gets results. One Richmond show we got 76 alert signups in 3.5 hours (Then my voice gave out) and at the last Fredericks burg show we got 18 members the first shift (more than the total of the previous 3 shows).

I have been pushing setting up a table at some of the larger stores (Gander Mountain, Green Top, etc) as well as changing our presentation to show we include protecting hunting rights, ranges, ammo selection, and more.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

What if we set up with local gunshops to enter anyone that buys a new gun with a 1 year membership in the VCDL. Maybe VCDL could set up a fund where when the gunshop or new gun owner sends in their application, the money is deducted from this fund? The activist members would of course have to donate to this fund, but something like this would increase membership numbers significantly in a short time. I used to work at A&P arms in VaBeach, and while I can't speak for them, I feel fairly confident they would agree to something like this. Heck all they'd really have to do is once the gun purchase is complete, they give the new owner a specially printed/stamped membership application that they then fill out and mail in. Pretty simple, we'd just have to fund it. Thoughts?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast