• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Put your money where your mouth is for the VCDL

Reverend73

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I know many of the Virginia members of OCDO have donated money to help the state of Texas in their push for Open Carry legislation. Now is the time to put your money where your mouth is to help the VCDL in their fight for our rights here in our very own Commonwealth of Virginia. If you aren't already a member of the VCDL you should do it today. It is one of the easiest ways to make a difference.

I realize the economy is poor and that for some, coming up with $25 may mean not eating for a few days, so I would like to offer up (4) memberships to help these folks out. I don't exactly know the best way to work out the logistics on this, but Phil or anyone else, if you've got an idea, please post it up.

If your are able, and would like to offer upto pay for some memberships, please post in this thread.

I realize we could just donate to the VCDL,but my goal here is to increase the membership. There is power in numbers.

Brian

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

I am not sure how we would determine "need" or if some just would accept it because it is free. I have paid for individual's first year membership on several occasions myself.

Anything that we can do to spur membership numbers is worth considering. Family memberships at a slight discount and corporate/business memberships have both been suggested but apparently did not meet with approval as nothing ever came of it.

Preaching to the choir (VCDL members) is good if it motivates them but it is to non VCDL groups of a similar bent i.e. hunt clubs, sportsman groups, gun shows that will IMO provide larger numbers.

My observations on gun show recruitment - not intended to criticize those that participate, I have as an unscheduled volunteer - VCDL booth is very passive, a sit and wait game. Wonder if a slide show or video loop on a large screen would cause more people to stop and talk. Motion attracts - ask the advertising people.

Yata hey

Reverend73

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I don't have a good idea how we'd determine need. I would prefer the person be serious about being active in the VCDL, as opposed to someone that just sits on the sidelines.

mpg9999

imported post

I'm sure some students from Students for Concealed Carry on Campus might be interested. College students are mostly poor, and they are already part of a gun rights organization, so they at least have some sort of motivation to further gun rights.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

We could select (with their approval) Va. SCCC members for a meritorious award membership after confirming that they were not already members - a posting on their web site or email for recommendations should do the job.

College students/VCDL members at Lobby Day would have some obvious benefits - particularly those willing to speak.

Yata hey

hsmith

imported post

I shot off a message to the VT SCCC and told them I'd donate 3 to VT students (Since I am an alumni) with the caveat they must show up for Lobby Day.

If anyone else is interested in donating to a specific SCCC for the VCDL I will post my response from them.

Reverend73

Founder's Club Member
imported post

hsmith wrote:
I shot off a message to the VT SCCC and told them I'd donate 3 to VT students (Since I am an alumni) with the caveat they must show up for Lobby Day.

If anyone else is interested in donating to a specific SCCC for the VCDL I will post my response from them.
hsmith, I'm in for (4) memberships. Great idea guys.

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

I'm a student and a SCCC member at VT. Perhaps discounted memberships for college (or K-12) students would be a positive thing. Subsidized memberships are fine too, either way they'll increase membership, just thinking out loud.

dcmidnight

imported post

Count me in the group that gets the alerts but never joined. I had every intention of joining this summer but life got in the way and I was never able to take the CCL class at the last gun show. That will change in a few weeks.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

dcmidnight wrote:
Count me in the group that gets the alerts but never joined. I had every intention of joining this summer but life got in the way and I was never able to take the CCL class at the last gun show. That will change in a few weeks.
dcmidnight... welcome to the forum..

PM me (if you are comfortable) your name, address and e-mail and I will treat you to your first year membership in VCDL.

Ed

ed

imported post

ed wrote:
dcmidnight wrote:
dcmidnight... welcome to the forum..

PM me (if you are comfortable) your name, address and e-mail and I will treat you to your first year membership in VCDL.

Ed
ok.. dcmidnight.. done! Expect VCDL membership info within 30 days.. I copied you on the e-mail confirmation.. Welcome to OCDO and VCDL!

:celebrate

RoisinDubh

imported post

SaltH2OHokie wrote:
I'm a student and a SCCC member at VT. Perhaps discounted memberships for college (or K-12) students would be a positive thing. Subsidized memberships are fine too, either way they'll increase membership, just thinking out loud.
Hey everyone, first time poster here. I too am a VT student and a member of the VT SCCC chapter and the national SCCC group. I think that just giving college students a discount would be a great way to add members as I've always wanted to join the VCDL but being a student I'm poor, lol.

ed

imported post

RoisinDubh wrote:
SaltH2OHokie wrote:
Hey everyone, first time poster here. I too am a VT student and a member of the VT SCCC chapter and the national SCCC group. I think that just giving college students a discount would be a great way to add members as I've always wanted to join the VCDL but being a student I'm poor, lol.
PM me your name, address and e-mail and I will pay for your first year VCDL membership.
Ed

RoisinDubh

imported post

I appreciate the offer but I think I finally have the money so I will hopefully be signing up next week. I wouldn't want to deprive someone else more in need of a free membership.