Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lobby Day Carpool Coordination Thread

Post imported post

Heads up folks, Lobby Day is coming up January 19, 2009. Please use this thread to offerrides to Richmond. I will continually update this first post to reflect the availability of open seats.The first section will be drivers offering rides, number of seats currently available,time they will leave, and where you should meet them (carpool staging). Thesecond section will be basic rules of etiquette for drivers and riders carpooling together. Third section details breakfast meet & greet location for travelers headed into Richmond from the North. If any information on this page is not current please PM me and I will update your information.

If you are a driver offering a ride please provide both the place name and street address of your staging area.

Drivers offering rides to Richmond:

Nakedshoplifter:0 available seats, leaving @ 5:45AM
    Carpool Rules: (These are suggestions only - but these rules will apply in my car for sure.)

• Please arrive at the staging area before time to leave. 10-15 minutes early is probably good.
    • Everyone should exchange cell numbersto help find each other at the end of the day. Plan on being separated into groups in Richmond which may not include your car traveling buddies.
    • The driver decides if eating or drinking is allowed in the car.
    • Absolutely no smoking in the car unless all occupants agree.
    • Everyone in the car will splitany parking costs in Richmond equally.
    • Upon return the drivers car will be refueled, everyone will share the refuel cost equally. The driver should start the trip with a freshly topped tank of gas to make things fair at the end of the trip.
    • Seat belts will be worn by all car occupants.
    • The driver has sole discretion over the music/radio station during the trip.
    Breakfast:

Last year about 15-20 of us met for breakfast about9 miles north ofthe Statehouse atRiver City Diner. RCD took great care of us and the food was wonderful. We will be meeting there again this year. Anyone who wants to join us is welcome to come, you don't have to be from NoVA, in fact about 1/2 who dined with us last year werenot from NoVA.

Breakfast location is:

River City Diner
    803 E Parham Rd
    Richmond, VA 23227

http://tinyurl.com/5dtbkl (Google Maps /w street view of front of resteraunt)

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Too early for me to know transportation, etc., but I'm certainly there.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Post imported post

Tess wrote:
    Too early for me to know transportation, etc., but I'm certainly there.
    Too early for me as well. I will be there though. Looks like the same place for breakfast that we had last year. Hope they still have biscuits and gravy.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

I'll definitely be participating... we had a great time last year. Didn't have to worry about what was on the radio because we were too busy talking and sharing stories to listen to music.

Post imported post

OK, time to resurrect a dead thread! Last year we all had a great breakfast at River City Diner. Who's meeting there before Lobby day?

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
    OK, time to resurrect a dead thread! Last year we all had a great breakfast at River City Diner. Who's meeting there before Lobby day?
    I will. Breakfast is planned for 0730 (per grapeshot). I'd like to start even earlier because we want to be at the General Assembly Building by 0845-0900. Even though it's a holiday, last year we had to allow at least 15-20 minutes to park, walk to the GAB, and get in.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Post imported post

Does the diner have an ABC license? (Yes I'm a wimp when it comes to OC, I'm still working on the courage for it)

Post imported post

I am a HUGE fan of personal empowerment.... here ya go!

http://www.abc.state.va.us/licenseeS...controller.jsp

Post imported post

I'll try to make this. Anyone do the math on how long it will take to get served and make it to down town for getting a seat into the GAB? Want to make sure our numbers are high as possible.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

GWRedDragon wrote:
    Does the diner have an ABC license? (Yes I'm a wimp when it comes to OC, I'm still working on the courage for it)
    Yes the River City Diner has an ABC license.

Might be a good time to jump in and OC - you'll be in good company. It gets much easier each time.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

bohdi wrote:
    I'll try to make this. Anyone do the math on how long it will take to get served and make it to down town for getting a seat into the GAB? Want to make sure our numbers are high as possible.
    If I remember correctly, River City Diner opens at 7:00 AM. Give or take an hour for eating and socializing leaves plenty of time to drive the 10-12 minutes downtown, park and get to the GAB.

BTW - we have very little time or space for sitting down on Lobby Day - wear comfortable shoes. We walk the walk, talk the talk and listen a lot too.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Post imported post

I think I'm going to head out very early to make RCD. I'm really looking forward to this.

Post imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
    I think I'm going to head out very early to make RCD. I'm really looking forward to this.
    Yep, I just changed my depart time to 0545. Google says it takes 1:45 to get to RCD from my house so that should have me eating pancakesby 0730. Just gotta remember to set the cruise control, my car likes to run free on open roads.

Is anyone catching a ride on the MMM charter bus this year?

Post imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
    Is anyone catching a ride on the MMM charter bus this year?
    LOL.

You probably have to let them inspect your house first.

Post imported post

BUMP

Post imported post

Reminder - pre Lobby Day meet up:

River City Diner opens at 7:30 AM - no CC, ABC on
    803 E Parham Rd
    Richmond, VA 23227

I-95 & N. Parham Rd - 10 min from GAB

http://tinyurl.com/5dtbkl (Google Maps /w street view of front of resteraunt)

Yata hey

Post imported post

RCD doesn't open until 7:30?

Hmmm...might have to eat somewhere else and be on my way. I think meetup in Richmond is like 8 or so, isn't it?

Post imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
    RCD doesn't open until 7:30?

Hmmm...might have to eat somewhere else and be on my way. I think meetup in Richmond is like 8 or so, isn't it?
    I thought you were there at the breakfast meet-up last year Tomahawk.

We made it fine last year from RCD - I thought the target time was 9:00 A.M. but that a little bit early was good. If different, then I stand to be corrected.

Yata hey

Post imported post

Still have two seats available leaving from the Mixing Bowl (395/495) area.

Post imported post

Short notice, I guess. I had originally planned on driving myself but Christmas week I sold my car. I'm currently driving my old work truck which was previous parked for 3 years*. I just don't trust it enough yet to make the trip.

Anyway, if anybody in a non-smoking vehicle leaving from the Tidewater area has room for another guy, please PM me! I'm good for my share of the gas and a box of ammo in your favorite Walmart caliber.

* - I was still working, smartypants. I just didn't do any side work. :P

Post imported post

Bulldog1967 wrote:
    Still have two seats available leaving from the Mixing Bowl (395/495) area.
    Since I'm still in an empty car I'll take you up on that seat, unless you want to catch a ride with me.

Post imported post

Kevin108 wrote:
    Short notice, I guess. I had originally planned on driving myself but Christmas week I sold my car. I'm currently driving my old work truck which was previous parked for 3 years*. I just don't trust it enough yet to make the trip.

Anyway, if anybody in a non-smoking vehicle leaving from the Tidewater area has room for another guy, please PM me! I'm good for my share of the gas and a box of ammo in your favorite Walmart caliber.

* - I was still working, smartypants. I just didn't do any side work. :P
    My car isn't really trustworthy either, but I think I may just attempt the drive anyway.

Post imported post

I'll be headed in from petersburg, so hopewell/col. heights is convenient, I'll have 2 open seats if anyone needs a ride. Be headed to the breakfast so I'm leaving early.

e-mail if anyone needs a ride

mmcneill@mailshack.com

mike

Post imported post

OK, maybe I just can't figure out that Socializer link... I can see folks names but no carpool info.

Anyone going from the Woodbridge, Stafford, or Fburg area looking to meet up?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast