• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lobby Day Carpool Coordination Thread

IanB

imported post

Heads up folks, Lobby Day is coming up January 19, 2009. Please use this thread to offerrides to Richmond. I will continually update this first post to reflect the availability of open seats.The first section will be drivers offering rides, number of seats currently available,time they will leave, and where you should meet them (carpool staging). Thesecond section will be basic rules of etiquette for drivers and riders carpooling together. Third section details breakfast meet & greet location for travelers headed into Richmond from the North. If any information on this page is not current please PM me and I will update your information.

If you are a driver offering a ride please provide both the place name and street address of your staging area.

Drivers offering rides to Richmond:

Nakedshoplifter:0 available seats, leaving @ 5:45AM
[align=left]Carpool Rules: (These are suggestions only - but these rules will apply in my car for sure.)

[/align]
  • Please arrive at the staging area before time to leave. 10-15 minutes early is probably good.
  • Everyone should exchange cell numbersto help find each other at the end of the day. Plan on being separated into groups in Richmond which may not include your car traveling buddies.
  • The driver decides if eating or drinking is allowed in the car.
  • Absolutely no smoking in the car unless all occupants agree.
  • Everyone in the car will splitany parking costs in Richmond equally.
  • Upon return the drivers car will be refueled, everyone will share the refuel cost equally. The driver should start the trip with a freshly topped tank of gas to make things fair at the end of the trip.
  • Seat belts will be worn by all car occupants.
  • The driver has sole discretion over the music/radio station during the trip.
Breakfast:

Last year about 15-20 of us met for breakfast about9 miles north ofthe Statehouse atRiver City Diner. RCD took great care of us and the food was wonderful. We will be meeting there again this year. Anyone who wants to join us is welcome to come, you don't have to be from NoVA, in fact about 1/2 who dined with us last year werenot from NoVA.

Breakfast location is:

River City Diner
803 E Parham Rd
Richmond, VA 23227

http://tinyurl.com/5dtbkl (Google Maps /w street view of front of resteraunt)

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Too early for me to know transportation, etc., but I'm certainly there.

les_aker

imported post

Tess wrote:
Too early for me to know transportation, etc., but I'm certainly there.

Too early for me as well. I will be there though. Looks like the same place for breakfast that we had last year. Hope they still have biscuits and gravy.

zoom6zoom

imported post

I'll definitely be participating... we had a great time last year. Didn't have to worry about what was on the radio because we were too busy talking and sharing stories to listen to music.

IanB

imported post

OK, time to resurrect a dead thread! Last year we all had a great breakfast at River City Diner. Who's meeting there before Lobby day?

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
OK, time to resurrect a dead thread! Last year we all had a great breakfast at River City Diner. Who's meeting there before Lobby day?
I will. Breakfast is planned for 0730 (per grapeshot). I'd like to start even earlier because we want to be at the General Assembly Building by 0845-0900. Even though it's a holiday, last year we had to allow at least 15-20 minutes to park, walk to the GAB, and get in.

bohdi

imported post

I'll try to make this. Anyone do the math on how long it will take to get served and make it to down town for getting a seat into the GAB? Want to make sure our numbers are high as possible.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

GWRedDragon wrote:
Does the diner have an ABC license? (Yes I'm a wimp when it comes to OC, I'm still working on the courage for it)
Yes the River City Diner has an ABC license.

Might be a good time to jump in and OC - you'll be in good company. :D It gets much easier each time.

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

bohdi wrote:
I'll try to make this. Anyone do the math on how long it will take to get served and make it to down town for getting a seat into the GAB? Want to make sure our numbers are high as possible.
If I remember correctly, River City Diner opens at 7:00 AM. Give or take an hour for eating and socializing leaves plenty of time to drive the 10-12 minutes downtown, park and get to the GAB.

BTW - we have very little time or space for sitting down on Lobby Day - wear comfortable shoes. We walk the walk, talk the talk and listen a lot too.

Yata hey

IanB

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
I think I'm going to head out very early to make RCD. I'm really looking forward to this.
Yep, I just changed my depart time to 0545. Google says it takes 1:45 to get to RCD from my house so that should have me eating pancakesby 0730. Just gotta remember to set the cruise control, my car likes to run free on open roads.

Is anyone catching a ride on the MMM charter bus this year?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Reminder - pre Lobby Day meet up:

River City Diner opens at 7:30 AM - no CC, ABC on
803 E Parham Rd
Richmond, VA 23227

I-95 & N. Parham Rd - 10 min from GAB

http://tinyurl.com/5dtbkl (Google Maps /w street view of front of resteraunt)

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
RCD doesn't open until 7:30?

Hmmm...might have to eat somewhere else and be on my way. I think meetup in Richmond is like 8 or so, isn't it?
I thought you were there at the breakfast meet-up last year Tomahawk.

We made it fine last year from RCD - I thought the target time was 9:00 A.M. but that a little bit early was good. If different, then I stand to be corrected.

Yata hey