Thread: holster sag

Post imported post

anything i can do to prevent my holster (serpa/paddle) from sagging? i have a good belt its just my 1911 is to heavy. any brand of pants that would be good to look into?

Post imported post

I know a lot of people that wear two belts, one through the beltloops of their pants, and another for their gun with 'keepers' holding the two belts together and this seems to alleviate a lot of that 'sag'. Most police belts are this way as well...

http://www.copsplus.com/beltkeepers.php

Post imported post

When carrying my heavier guns that cause sagging, I wear my Bianchi accumold gun belt (1-3/4") through my belt loops. The thickness and width of the belt give great support with no second belt needed.

Post imported post

r6-rider wrote:
    anything i can do to prevent my holster (serpa/paddle) from sagging? i have a good belt its just my 1911 is to heavy. any brand of pants that would be good to look into?
    If you're not wearing a Rigger's belt or a specific Gun Belt, then you probably don't have a "good belt."

This is what I wear: http://www.tacticalresponsegear.com/...oducts_id=2840

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

r6-rider wrote:
    I carry either a full size 1911 or a commander size regularly and find that I need to tighten my belt up one extra notch to stabilze everything.

Are you perhaps carrying any extra weight/softness around the middle? This will contribute to needing an even more stiff/anti-roll belt. In my case I have no extra (not an ounce) in that area and can actually wear much lighter belts for most rigs if I choose.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

It may not be your belt that is the problem. I don't have much in the way of hips or butt and a paddle holster that pushes down on my pants doesn't work for me either--and I have a Galco belt.

A good belt, and tightening the belt, works mostly for pancake designs where the holster has loops that the belt is passed through. I'd suggest buying a pancake holster. Galco, DeSantis, Don Hume all have high riding designs with loops for the belt to go through. I use the pancake holster from simplyrugged.com. Great holsters, very comfortable and fit well.

Post imported post

I'd recomend a belt fromwww.thebeltman.com Its expensive, but worth every penny. Get one with the internal stiffener.

EDIT
    the link doesn't seem to be working. Google 'the belt man' and it should be the first link.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

r6-rider wrote:
    Have you tried suspenders?

Post imported post

I've carried on a belt seems like forever. My Fobus paddle holster has made a believer of me.

Watched a movie where the good guy wore a pistol that just didn't look or wear right. Kept bothering me. BINGO! Wore (and wobbled)exactly like mine did BEFORE the paddle holster.

Try One.

Post imported post

I've found two solutions for holster sag:

1. VERY stiff belt. It may seem counter-intuitive, but a stiff belt really does wonders when you are carrying a large weight on the belt. I favor belts from AKJ Concealco. Their belts have a metal or plastic stiffener between two layers of leather. They wear very well and support a large amount of weight. Very well worth the price. Their belt page is: http://www.concealco.com/miva/mercha...y_Code=054BELT

2. Suspenders. As I've aged, alas, I've added some girth to the midsection. When your gut is larger than your hips, lets face it, mechanically, its going to be hard to hold up your pants, no matter what kind of belt you have. Suspenders work nicely to support a large amount of weight on the belt when there isn't much in the way of hips for the belt to engage and hold them up.

Hope this helps.

Post imported post

Ted Blocker Holsters:
    H BELT, 1.5", LINED, STEEL INSERT

Post imported post

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/belt.html
    Comes with a money back guarantee.
    Perhaps if you would use a real computer you wouldn't have to apologize for not being able to do so many things on the internet!

Post imported post

1. Good, stiff belt.
    2. Suck in the gut for one extra notch.

That seems to do the trick just fine and works for everything up to a full-size all-steel 1911. For what it's worth, I've found GOOD gun belts for around $30 -- significantly less than or close to the same price for "fashion" leather or fake belts that fall apart after six months. DeSantis belts have been working well for me.

Post imported post

Heavy Duty Dickies belt from Wally World. Costs me about $8 a pop and I go thru two a year from the belt loop wear caused by my Serpa that I use for my 1911. I suck it in and grab that extra notch for a good snug fit that doesn't sag or fall.

Post imported post

Evil Ernie wrote:
    Heavy Duty Dickies belt from Wally World. Costs me about $8 a pop and I go thru two a year from the belt loop wear caused by my Serpa that I use for my 1911. I suck it in and grab that extra notch for a good snug fit that doesn't sag or fall.
    I went that route for a while myself, then decided to just get a better one from The Beltman. I've had it for almost two years now with no sign of wear, which means I only need a couple more years before I start saving money by not buying cheap belts over and over.

Post imported post

I've been using Kramer double thickness horsehide belts for about 15 years and I love them. My original brown one is showing some signs of its age, but its also the one I've worn for probably close to 5000 days of use.

http://www.kramerleather.com/product...p;categoryID=2

Post imported post

eclipse13 wrote:
    I'd recomend a belt fromhttp://www.thebeltman.com Its expensive, but worth every penny. Get one with the internal stiffener.

EDIT
    the link doesn't seem to be working. Google 'the belt man' and it should be the first link.
    The Beltman's web address is http://www.thebeltman.net not .com.

The Beltman makes all of Tucker's "Bullhide" belts for us. Great belts!

Even the thickest of single-layer belts will not measure up to a double-strap gunbelt.

Rob

http://www.tuckergunleather.com