• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

holster sag

r6-rider

imported post

anything i can do to prevent my holster (serpa/paddle) from sagging? i have a good belt its just my 1911 is to heavy. any brand of pants that would be good to look into?

nova

imported post

When carrying my heavier guns that cause sagging, I wear my Bianchi accumold gun belt (1-3/4") through my belt loops. The thickness and width of the belt give great support with no second belt needed.

Bravo_Sierra

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

r6-rider wrote:
anything i can do to prevent my holster (serpa/paddle) from sagging? i have a good belt its just my 1911 is to heavy. any brand of pants that would be good to look into?
I carry either a full size 1911 or a commander size regularly and find that I need to tighten my belt up one extra notch to stabilze everything.

Are you perhaps carrying any extra weight/softness around the middle? This will contribute to needing an even more stiff/anti-roll belt. In my case I have no extra (not an ounce) in that area and can actually wear much lighter belts for most rigs if I choose.

Yata hey

Loneviking

imported post

It may not be your belt that is the problem. I don't have much in the way of hips or butt and a paddle holster that pushes down on my pants doesn't work for me either--and I have a Galco belt.

A good belt, and tightening the belt, works mostly for pancake designs where the holster has loops that the belt is passed through. I'd suggest buying a pancake holster. Galco, DeSantis, Don Hume all have high riding designs with loops for the belt to go through. I use the pancake holster from simplyrugged.com. Great holsters, very comfortable and fit well.

eclipse13

imported post

I'd recomend a belt fromwww.thebeltman.com Its expensive, but worth every penny. Get one with the internal stiffener.

EDIT
the link doesn't seem to be working. Google 'the belt man' and it should be the first link.

TheMrMitch

imported post

I've carried on a belt seems like forever. My Fobus paddle holster has made a believer of me.

Watched a movie where the good guy wore a pistol that just didn't look or wear right. Kept bothering me. BINGO! Wore (and wobbled)exactly like mine did BEFORE the paddle holster.:D

Try One.

markand

imported post

I've found two solutions for holster sag:

1. VERY stiff belt. It may seem counter-intuitive, but a stiff belt really does wonders when you are carrying a large weight on the belt. I favor belts from AKJ Concealco. Their belts have a metal or plastic stiffener between two layers of leather. They wear very well and support a large amount of weight. Very well worth the price. Their belt page is: http://www.concealco.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=ACL&Category_Code=054BELT

2. Suspenders. As I've aged, alas, I've added some girth to the midsection. When your gut is larger than your hips, lets face it, mechanically, its going to be hard to hold up your pants, no matter what kind of belt you have. Suspenders work nicely to support a large amount of weight on the belt when there isn't much in the way of hips for the belt to engage and hold them up.

Hope this helps.

bcbrown2

imported post

1. Good, stiff belt.
2. Suck in the gut for one extra notch.

That seems to do the trick just fine and works for everything up to a full-size all-steel 1911. For what it's worth, I've found GOOD gun belts for around $30 -- significantly less than or close to the same price for "fashion" leather or fake belts that fall apart after six months. DeSantis belts have been working well for me.

Evil Ernie

imported post

Heavy Duty Dickies belt from Wally World. Costs me about $8 a pop and I go thru two a year from the belt loop wear caused by my Serpa that I use for my 1911. I suck it in and grab that extra notch for a good snug fit that doesn't sag or fall.

FogRider

imported post

Evil Ernie wrote:
Heavy Duty Dickies belt from Wally World. Costs me about $8 a pop and I go thru two a year from the belt loop wear caused by my Serpa that I use for my 1911. I suck it in and grab that extra notch for a good snug fit that doesn't sag or fall.
I went that route for a while myself, then decided to just get a better one from The Beltman. I've had it for almost two years now with no sign of wear, which means I only need a couple more years before I start saving money by not buying cheap belts over and over.

Rob Longenecker

imported post

eclipse13 wrote:
I'd recomend a belt fromhttp://www.thebeltman.com Its expensive, but worth every penny. Get one with the internal stiffener.

EDIT
the link doesn't seem to be working. Google 'the belt man' and it should be the first link.
The Beltman's web address is http://www.thebeltman.net not .com.

The Beltman makes all of Tucker's "Bullhide" belts for us. Great belts!

Even the thickest of single-layer belts will not measure up to a double-strap gunbelt.

Rob

http://www.tuckergunleather.com