• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Amtrack Police

TFred

imported post

Bill in VA wrote:
mpg9999 wrote:
I'm not defending him speeding or tailgating, but you do know it is virginia law to yield the left lane to faster moving traffic?

Not trying to highjack teh thread, but can you provide a cite for that? I do not believe this istrue.

It's been along time since I took my driver's ed. test at the DMV but I seem to recall a true/false question that said something to the effect of "T or F: The left lane is the fast lane"; the answer being "F: there is on 'fast lane'on VA roadways...the speed limit is the same in all lanes" In fact, § 46.2-804(1) seems to bear this out by stating that a vehicle "proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions existing, shall be driven in the lane nearest the right edge or right curb of the highway when such lane is available for travel except when overtaking and passing another vehicle or in preparation for a left turn or where right lanes are reserved for slow-moving traffic as permitted in this section." The implication being that if you're moving at normal speed of traffic you are not required to drive in one partucular lane or another.
Well, someone who takes this subject very much more seriously than I do has gone to the trouble to create a whole web site to keep track of it all around the country!

http://www.driverightpassleft.com/laws/

If I recall correctly, in Virginia they experimented with a "keep right unless passing" law, which was so wildly unpopular it was repealed almost immediately. Just a foggy memory, but for what it's worth. If anyone can cite a source for that, I'd be interested to know if/when it happened.

With that in mind, I believe it is correct that you are not required to stay in the right lane unless one of the other conditions applies.

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

TexasNative wrote:
I had a somewhat similar experience many years ago, and as a LEO friend explained it to me later, what one cop knows, every cop knows, so even though we were out of the cop's jurisdiction when he pulled me over, he could have summoned a local jurisdiction LEO who could have written me that ticket for reckless driving.

Ahem.

But I'm much older, wiser and laid back these days. :)

ETA: I don't offer this as authoritative advice or anything like that; it's merely a related anecdote from my past.
I'm certainly glad I was quiet and peaceful in my younger years:what:

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I've thought about this scenario, before. Personally, in the case of AMTRAK I'd refuse to supply any info to AMTRAK and I'd call 911 and have a county or stateboy show up. I would produce ID to them. There are just too damn many of these cross-juridictional federale "Law Enforcement Agencies" out there. I'll cooperate with what I consider to be a real cop, the local and state officers that do put their life on the line. These other types are wanna-bees with a badge in the name of counter terrorism. This was one of my few rants. Thanks!

mpg9999

imported post

Bill in VA wrote:
mpg9999 wrote:
I'm not defending him speeding or tailgating, but you do know it is virginia law to yield the left lane to faster moving traffic?

Not trying to highjack teh thread, but can you provide a cite for that? I do not believe this istrue.

It's been along time since I took my driver's ed. test at the DMV but I seem to recall a true/false question that said something to the effect of "T or F: The left lane is the fast lane"; the answer being "F: there is on 'fast lane'on VA roadways...the speed limit is the same in all lanes" In fact, § 46.2-804(1) seems to bear this out by stating that a vehicle "proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions existing, shall be driven in the lane nearest the right edge or right curb of the highway when such lane is available for travel except when overtaking and passing another vehicle or in preparation for a left turn or where right lanes are reserved for slow-moving traffic as permitted in this section." The implication being that if you're moving at normal speed of traffic you are not required to drive in one partucular lane or another.
46.2-842.1. Drivers to give way to certain overtaking vehicles on divided highways. It shall be unlawful to fail to give way to overtaking traffic when driving a motor vehicle to the left and abreast of another motor vehicle on a divided highway. On audible or light signal, the driver of the overtaken vehicle shall move to the right to allow the overtaking vehicle to pass as soon as the overtaken vehicle can safely do so. A violation of this section shall not be construed as negligence per se in any civil action.

This is commonly refered to as lane courtesy, something that unfortunatly, many Americans lack.

And yes, it does not mention speed limit. Two wrongs do not make a right. For all you know there could be an emergancy and the person is driving to the hospital, or your speedometer could easily be off by 5 mph.

suntzu

imported post

Call the Virginia State Police and speak with them about this, and if he was out of his jurisdiction, why not see if you can file a complaint with the state police. Most they will tell you is no, and they just might take a report and get to the bottom of this...maybe it is worth a shot?

I would have called 911 and said that you were being pulled over by a man claiming to be a police officer and that you have doubts as to his legitimacy and would like a marked patrol unit to come out. They would have to send one.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

DoubleR wrote:
These other types are wanna-bees with a badge in the name of counter terrorism. This was one of my few rants. Thanks!
Railroad cops go back to the beginning of the railroads. If they wanted it, they'd get it. The cops are just an heirloom from those days and don't have anything to do with terrorism.

cmartin7864

imported post

I know officers of small jurisdictions such as MWAA and GMU have jurisdiction on any road that touches their jurisdiction such as route 28, next to the airport, and 123 for GMUPD. I frequently pass US Capitol Policeand MWAAPD on 66 and they don't do anything. I did have a Capitol officer get on my tail after I passed him doing 80 on 66 and acted like he was going to pull me over.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

Authority Police are responsible for enforcing the law of Virginia, the Authority's rules and regulations and all other applicable laws, ordinances, rules and regulations on Authority facilities within 300 yards of Authority facilities (Va. Code §5.1-158 (B)). This includes the Dulles Access Highway from the airport to Interstate 66 and the Dulles Toll Road. Sections of the George Washington Memorial Parkway (which is not an Authority facility) adjacent to Reagan National Airport are also within the Authority Police jurisdiction.

Ed

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

cmartin7864 wrote:
I did have a Capitol officer get on my tail after I passed him doing 80 on 66 and acted like he was going to pull me over.
You are lucky he did not pull you over and then Call STATE POLICE for wreckless driving if the speed limit was 55. He may have even got it as FELONY wreckless because of your willingness to PASS law enforcement at 25 MPH over the limit.

cmartin7864

imported post

You are lucky he did not pull you over and then Call STATE POLICE for wreckless driving if the speed limit was 55. He may have even got it as FELONY wreckless because of your willingness to PASS law enforcement at 25 MPH over the limit.

He wasn't going much slower...and doesn't a misdemeanor have to be committed in the presence of the "arresting" officer. The capitol officer would have to file a complaint with the court. Plus the speed limit was 65 out past Manassas so i was only 15 over.

johnfenter

imported post

§ 46.2-920. Certain vehicles exempt from regulations in certain situations; exceptions and additional requirements.
A. The driver of any emergency vehicle, when such vehicle is being used in the performance of public services, and when such vehicle is operated under emergency conditions, may, without subjecting himself to criminal prosecution:
1. Disregard speed limits, while having due regard for safety of persons and property;
2. Proceed past any steady or flashing red signal, traffic light, stop sign, or device indicating moving traffic shall stop if the speed of the vehicle is sufficiently reduced to enable it to pass a signal, traffic light, or device with due regard to the safety of persons and property;
3. Park or stop notwithstanding the other provisions of this chapter;
4. Disregard regulations governing a direction of movement of vehicles turning in specified directions so long as the operator does not endanger life or property;
5. Pass or overtake, with due regard to the safety of persons and property, another vehicle at any intersection;
6. Pass or overtake with due regard to the safety of persons and property, while en route to an emergency, stopped or slow-moving vehicles, by going to the left of the stopped or slow-moving vehicle either in a no-passing zone or by crossing the highway centerline; or
7. Pass or overtake with due regard to the safety of persons and property, while en route to an emergency, stopped or slow-moving vehicles, by going off the paved or main traveled portion of the roadway on the right. Notwithstanding other provisions of this section, vehicles exempted in this instance will not be required to sound a siren or any device to give automatically intermittent signals.
B. The exemptions granted to emergency vehicles by subsection A of this section shall apply only when the operator of such vehicle displays a flashing, blinking, or alternating emergency light or lights as provided in §§ 46.2-1022 and 46.2-1023 and sounds a siren, exhaust whistle, or air horn designed to give automatically intermittent signals, as may be reasonably necessary, and, only when there is in force and effect for such vehicle either (i) standard motor vehicle liability insurance covering injury or death to any person in the sum of at least $100,000 because of bodily injury to or death of one person in any one accident and, subject to the limit for one person, to a limit of $300,000 because of bodily injury to or death of two or more persons in any one accident, and to a limit of $20,000 because of injury to or destruction of property of others in any one accident or (ii) a certificate of self-insurance issued pursuant to § 46.2-368. Such exemptions shall not, however, protect the operator of any such vehicle from criminal prosecution for conduct constituting reckless disregard of the safety of persons and property. Nothing in this section shall release the operator of any such vehicle from civil liability for failure to use reasonable care in such operation.

Looks like if he had called for the State Police, they would have had to give hime a ticket too...

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

B. The exemptions granted to emergency vehicles by subsection A of this section shall apply only when the operator of such vehicle displays a flashing, blinking, or alternating emergency light or lights as provided in §§ 46.2-1022 and 46.2-1023and sounds a siren, exhaust whistle, or air horn designed to give automatically i

I told Nitrovic this a while back and got the "That's not true. A police officer can speed any time the county policy allows.

johnfenter

imported post

Last time I checked, "county policies" don't override the Code of Virginia.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

johnfenter wrote:
Last time I checked, "county policies" don't override the Code of Virginia.
Have a drink or two and tell him that!:banghead:

W.E.G.

imported post

I wonder...

http://law.justia.com/virginia/codes/toc1902000/19.2-12.html

Every judge and attorney for the Commonwealth throughout the Commonwealth and every magistrate within the geographical area for which he is appointed or elected, shall be a conservator of the peace. In addition, every commissioner in chancery, while sitting as such commissioner; any special agent or law-enforcement officer of the United States Department of Justice, National Marine Fisheries Service of the United States Department of Commerce, Department of Treasury, Department of Agriculture, Department of Defense, Department of State, Office of the Inspector General of the Department of Transportation, Department of Homeland Security, and Department of Interior; any inspector, law-enforcement official or police personnel of the United States Postal Inspection Service; any United States marshal or deputy United States marshal whose duties involve the enforcement of the criminal laws of the United States; any officer of the Virginia Marine Police; any criminal investigator of the Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation, who meets the minimum law-enforcement training requirements established by the Department of Criminal Justice Services for in-service training; any criminal investigator of the United States Department of Labor; any special agent of the United States Naval Criminal Investigative Service, and any special agent of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, shall be a conservator of the peace, while engaged in the performance of their official duties.

Tomahawk

imported post

suntzu wrote:
I would have called 911 and said that you were being pulled over by a man claiming to be a police officer and that you have doubts as to his legitimacy and would like a marked patrol unit to come out. They would have to send one.

+1. Roll up the windows, lock the doors, and dial the cellphone.

I read an article in a rail fan magazine not long after 9/11/01 about a guy who was out watching trains on the side of the tracks on public property with a camera, and an engineer called the railroad cops on him and gave them his license plate number.

When he got home the railroad cops were already waiting for him inside his house. They had intimidated his wife into letting them in, and they then threatened him with all sorts of dire consequences and talked him into signing some document.

He wasn't trespassing or breaking any law, but like most people he thought of himself as "law abiding" and not a troublemaker, and he was enamored and intimidated by a couple of badged thugs, so he didn't think to refuse to talk or cooperate, and his wife foolishly let them enter his home.

If I get stopped on a public road by any sort of funny-looking cop, I'll call the real cops and let them sort it out.

no carry permit ?

imported post

TexasNative wrote:
I had a somewhat similar experience many years ago, and as a LEO friend explained it to me later, what one cop knows, every cop knows, so even though we were out of the cop's jurisdiction when he pulled me over, he could have summoned a local jurisdiction LEO who could have written me that ticket for reckless driving.

Ahem.

But I'm much older, wiser and laid back these days. :)

ETA: I don't offer this as authoritative advice or anything like that; it's merely a related anecdote from my past.

True, but then BOTH officers have to Show up in court, so they don't normally do it.

PLEASE get the officers business card and file a complaint ! There is way too muchof this going on. Two weeks ago I was pulled over on the toll road by the Airport police (by Dulles Airport) for doing 40 in a 55. Ihad just gotten on the toll road from Herndon and had to stop to pay the toll, thus I was not upto normaltravel speed. The cop was a jerk, spent considerable time shining his light through the windows of the cargo van looking for something to nail me on. People wonder why I can't stand cops. It isn't even illegal to be driving 40 unless a minimum speed is posted. I have filed a formal compliant with internal affairs. The Lt. that I talked with seemed not surprised when I told him the officers name.