• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Loading your gun from your trunk to OC

Jr-from-MI

imported post

What's the best way to load your weapon at any location from your trunk for OC without a cwp. I thought it would be easy just to leave my gun in it's holster put it in a bigger storage box than what it came in unloaded ofcourse in the trunk for transport and when I get to a location where I wanna OC I open my trunk open my storage box put my gun on my hip and just slide a clip in. The weapon is never drawn from the holster and never completly exposed. I would do the opposite when I get ready to take off in my car I would slide the clip out and put the gun on the trunk in its box without the ammo ofcourse and keep the ammo in the front with me. If anyone knows a better way or comments to improve on this leave a message. Thank u

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Jr-from-MI wrote:
What's the best way to load your weapon at any location from your trunk for OC without a cwp. I thought it would be easy just to leave my gun in it's holster put it in a bigger storage box than what it came in unloaded ofcourse in the trunk for transport and when I get to a location where I wanna OC I open my trunk open my storage box put my gun on my hip and just slide a clip in. The weapon is never drawn from the holster and never completly exposed. I would do the opposite when I get ready to take off in my car I would slide the clip out and put the gun on the trunk in its box without the ammo ofcourse and keep the ammo in the front with me. If anyone knows a better way or comments to improve on this leave a message. Thank u
This would work, but how do you rack one in the chamber?

We have members that just reach in their trunks and load their weapon below the edge of the trunk. They holster the weapon while it's still below the edge of the trunk, and then place the holster on thetheir belts. Or better yet have the holster already on a belt and put the holster/belt rig on your person. You can also get a decent paddle holster and slip it on over your belt as you raise up from the trunk.

You can practice in your driveway a few times to get comfortable with it.

LaVere

imported post

If you are intending to open carry and don't have a CPL/CCW Why are you worrying about the second it starts? Stand at your trunk and lock and load ( so to speak) in plain site. Unless a bad guy is right there ready to grab you.

You may be planning to say walk the mall and 10 or 100 of people may see you anyway. What is one more near your car.

If you are concerned where the legality of open verses CPL/CCW in the transition is. I can't answer that. I would not worry about it.

Best to you

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

dougwg wrote:
seperate from the gun

They can be in the same container as long as the gun is unloaded!
This is true. These questions and answers are from the State Police and may be helpful to some..

Firearms-related frequently raised issues

What follows are the short answers to those firearms-related questions most often asked by police officers and the public.

Open carry of firearms

Subject to MCL 750.234d, it is legal to carry a visible pistol in public.

Possession of a pistol belonging to another

Per MCL 28.432, a person with a Concealed Pistol License (CPL) may legally possess a properly registered pistol belonging to another. The owner need not be present.

Possession of pistols by non-residents

A resident of another state may possess a pistol in Michigan if they have a CPL issued by their state of residence (MCL 28.432 & MCL 28.432a). Without a CPL, a non-resident may not have a pistol in Michigan.

Safety Inspection Certificates (Changes in this start in January.)

Michigan law does not require a person to have a copy of their certificate with their pistol after it has been registered; nor does the law require that a person keep a copy.

Transporting ammunition and long-guns

MCL 750.227d describes the lawful way to transport a shotgun or rifle. While they must be unloaded, they may be transported in the same case as ammunition (including loaded magazines).

CPL holders – required notifications

The notification requirements of MCL 28.425f only apply when a CPL holder is actually carrying a concealed pistol. Nothing in Michigan law allows an officer to search a CPL holder to determine whether they are carrying a pistol.

Michigander

imported post

It looks like I'm going to have this problem again. My belief is that if they didn't want me to have to have it unholstered to load it when getting out of the car, they would let me carry it in the car. So, I am not going to take it as a big issue, just calmly and reasonably load it up and holster it. Simple, easy, and in line with what the law says.