• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Great story on TMJ4 last night

ayce2

imported post

I agree it is a good story, but she just admitted that she carries her gun because she carries cash. I take it she isn't walking to the bank with the gun in a open holster. I think she just might haveset herself up for an arrest. But I am assuming...

smithman

imported post

Carrying a gun concealed on your property or business is perfectly legal. So if she owns the business which it sounds like she does then she can conceal or carry openly. Likely she conceals.

Eric

imported post

Hi, new to the board. Been lurking for a few months.

I would agree that the story seemed to imply the practice of concealed carry for the store owner. There was also reference to women carrying for protection from muggings that seemed to imply women were carrying concealed for that purpose.

In the case of the store owner, it's true that she can carry concealed in her store. However, the story seemed to say that she carried on the way to the bank as well. It would have been great if the reporter would have dug into how the law in WI works in these instances. For example, the reporter could have talked about how open carry is legal in WI and what that means to the store owner when she goes to the bank. i.e. Having to remove and unload her weapon when she gets into her car and the then loading and putting on her weapon at the bank.

The reporter could have also talked about the women who have become proficient with firearms for home protection, but can't throw the pistol in their purse when they are out in public.

Overall, it's great to see a story like this in Milwaukee. However, I wonder if the reporter even has any idea how the firearms laws in WI work. I got the impression that she was clueless.

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

I would agree the reporter was probably clueless on the law. Or just didn't want to "go there" cause she didn't know.

I thought it was a big step forward that there was a gun-story (I might say a pro gun story) that didn't feel 'compelled' to offer the anti-gun view.

And I thnk women becoming proficient in the use of a gun for protection in their home isa GREAT logical progression to the question being posed "if I can protect myself in my home, (arguably one of the safest places for one to be) why can't I protect myself when I walk to my car at night or drive through bad areas on the way home from work?

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Be careful what you read into the story. There is no mention of concealed carry, or open carry. The comment was "her gun is always with her". No mention of manner of carry. In fact the article is about women taking charge of their own protection, not about the manner of carry. As the old saying goes: Don't assume anything or you may make an ASS out of U and ME. I feel it is a good story and supports the cause that people need their own personal protection.