• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Election: Wrong-way Republicanism Soundly Repudiated' JBS.org

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.jbs.org/index.php/jbs-news-feed/3860-the-election-wrong-way-republicanism-soundly-repudiated

There is no better way to assess the November 4 election than to label it a complete repudiation of GOP-style neoconservatism, internationalism, and imperial presidential power.

The Bush administration’s dramatic lows in approval rating assured that it, and virtually all who backed it, would suffer defeat.

The choice between Senator Obama and Senator McCain presented a choice between two liberal internationalists. McCain would have extended Bush agenda. Though he campaigned for a nebulous idea of change, in truth, Obama will seek to continue it and possibly make it worse.

Many anxious Americans opted for McCain because he claimed to be anti-abortion and pro-gun rights. They failed to take into account that, as a veteran member of the Council on Foreign Relations, he is a strong supporter of the United Nations that is both pro-abortion and anti-private ownership of weapons. McCain’s consistent posturing on these two issues was totally reprehensible.

Our nation’s membership in the United Nations should have been an issue in the campaign. But when both of the major candidates are UN supporters, it was never addressed.

Also not addressed, because the two candidates obviously agreed about it, is the sub-rosa plan to merge our nation with Canada and Mexico in a proposed North American Union. Further, the plan calls for creating linkages with the European Union. That an Obama administration would continue these trends is signaled by the fact that his global warming plan is almost an exact duplicate of that being pursued by the UK government.

There are numerous other issues that were never addressed during this election cycle simply because substantive differences between McCain and Obama were completely non-existent.

The rejection of Bush-style Republicanism now presents the GOP with an opportunity to clean house and begin again to promote solid American values. No more undeclared wars. No more deficits and inflation. No more attacks on the productive sector of our nation. No more campaigns against individual, God-given rights. No more ignoring the Constitution’s limitations on government power.

Americans from coast to coast should start working immediately to pressure the GOP minorities in the Senate and House to block much of what can be expected from the coming Obama administration. They should also remind Democrats in Congress that there would be support for them should they resist initiatives put forward by the Obama administration that would harm our nation.

If GOP senators and representatives, and maybe some from the Democratic side as well, exert some real Americanist leadership, they can indeed halt much our nation’s plunge into losing independence, enduring worldwide repudiation of the dollar, seeing sovereignty compromised and possibly lost entirely, and so much more that threatens the continued existence of our nation.

The policies of the past eight years have been repudiated. As an alternative, a return to limited government and no-nonsense independence is sorely needed. This is the real change we need. The opportunity exists to return to the wisdom given us by the Founding Fathers, including strict adherence to the Constitution that all elected officials swear to uphold. This opportunity should be joyfully seized by all who love our country and want to preserve its freedoms for future generations.

The soundest program for restoring good government in America can be found in the work of The John Birch Society. We ask all who care about the future to contact us, get involved in our program, and return our nation to sanity once again.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

What Happened to the Third-party Presidential Candidates?

During the presidential campaign, as well as on election night, the major media generally ignored the third-party candidates who threw their hats into the presidential ring. These largely ignored candidates, none of whom attained even one percent of the vote, included: Ralph Nader (0.5 percent), Bob Barr (0.4 percent), Chuck Baldwin (0.1 percent), and Cynthia McKinney (0.1 percent).
In California, the nation's most populous state, former U.S. Ambassador (and former Republican presidential candidate) Alan Keyes got 0.3 percent of the vote. He did not do as well in the two remaining states where his name appeared on the ballot: Colorado and Florida.

Former Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul got 2.2 percent of the vote in Montana, despite the fact that he did not run for president in the general election and asked that his name be removed from the ballot. He also got 0.5 percent of the vote in Louisiana.

As in the past, most Americans limited their choice to one of the two major-party presidential candidates, as opposed to considering a third-party candidate whose views may have more closely matched theirs. Generally speaking, Americans vote for somebody they think can win. This lesson was clearly illustrated earlier this year when Ron Paul won his congressional district by a landslide in his Republican primary race for reelection to Congress yet lost both the district and the state in his Republican primary race for president.
Of course, by limiting their choices to the "viable" candidates, many Americans put themseleves into the positiion of voting for "the lesser of two evils" based on the notion that they would be wasting their vote if they voted for a principled candidate who has no chance of winning. The counter argument, of course, is that you waste your vote when you vote for somebody you do not belive in. Constitution Party candidate Chuck Baldwin, who obviously is a strong adherent of the latter point of view, opined in an article he wrote prior to the election: "A wasted vote is a vote for someone you know does not represent your own beliefs and principles. A wasted vote is a vote for someone you know will not lead the country in the way it should go. A wasted vote is a vote for the 'lesser of two evils.' Or, in the case of John McCain and Barack Obama, what we have is a choice between the 'evil of two lessers.'"

bignflnut

imported post

Slamming those who have some answer to our current problems is helpful.

Anyone still chanting "ALL FOR THE STATE" or "COUNTRY FIRST"?

KBCraig

imported post

longwatch wrote:
In other news there is still a John Birch Society.
I ran into a lot of them while I was supporting Ron Paul in the primaries, and the local chapter got involved and supported us.

I was rather surprised that they were not the stereotype I'd been taught all my life. I might disagree with them on immigration*, but I cannot fault their stance on American sovereignty and opposition to globalism.

*I believe in free and easy immigration for workers. I don't believe they should get any government aid, but I also don't think native-born Americans should get government aid; I think such aid shouldn't even exist except as private charity. The reason there are tens of thousands illegally sneaking across the border and risking their lives crossing the desert, just for the chance to pick lettuce and nail shingles and mow lawns, is because they can't just check in at the border and drive up the highway like anyone else!

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

bignflnut wrote:
Slamming those who have some answer to our current problems is helpful.

Anyone still chanting "ALL FOR THE STATE" or "COUNTRY FIRST"?
They still think Eisenhower was a communist?

KansasMustang

imported post

Wrong way Republicanism is absolutely correct. The ONLY reason John McCain did as well as he did IMHO is his pick Of Sarah Palin as his running mate. Don't get me wrong I think Mac is a great American Hero, however comma he's too liberal in many of his ideas. The Republican party MUST get back to it's roots, be the party of self determination, small government, and accountability. The ones in the McCain campaign that leaked info(lies) about Sarah Palin out to the drive-by media need to be rooted out and sent home. Never to be heard from again. UNLESS and until they do this, the Repubs are done. My opinion is they need Sarah and Bobby Jindal to run in 2012 and stick to thier guns, literally. No hemmin and hawin and "I'll reach across the aisle BS just truth and plain talk. No attacks and dang sure no (moderate) republican crap. Then and only then will the Republican party win another election. Just me sayin it :cuss:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

KansasMustang wrote:
Wrong way Republicanism is absolutely correct. The ONLY reason John McCain did as well as he did IMHO is his pick Of Sarah Palin as his running mate. Don't get me wrong I think Mac is a great American Hero, however comma he's too liberal in many of his ideas. The Republican part MUST get back to it's roots, be the party of self determination, small government, and accountability. The ones in the McCain campaign that leaked info(lies) about Sarah Palin out to the drive-by media need to be rooted out and sent home. Never to be heard from again. UNLESS and until they do this, the Repubs are done. My opinion is they need Sarah and Bobby Jindal to run in 2012 and stick to thier guns, literally. No hemmin and hawin and "I'll reach across the aisle BS just truth and plain talk. No attacks and dang sure no (moderate) republican crap. Then and only then will the Republican party win another election. Just me sayin it
And find a real leader with rhetorical skills and the ability to inspire.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Citizen wrote:
And find a real leader with rhetorical skills and the ability to inspire.
How about first with principles and an understanding of them.

The Obaminable 'No'man has rhetorical skills and enough ability to inspire his myrmidia and distemperate termagants.

Well, yes. That's why I opened with the conjunction "and." KansasMustang had alreadyaddressed the principles part to some extent.

'sOK. Nobody else really reads my posts, either. I'm used to it. :)

bignflnut

imported post

Here's the rub: who's the person that can speak DIRECTLY to the US Citizens and move them to get past the "two party" system?

The media blackout alone is such an obstacle. Who can find enough support to ignite the grassroots and makethemself an issue in the campaign? The primaries are ALL about name recognition. The vast majority don't pay attention during this stage of the race.