• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Hampshire OCer gets arrested for videotaping a cop

Orygunner

imported post

Two videos by The RidleyReport:

Cooper Travis in New Hampshire arrested for videotaping a police officer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSEmgtXIXRI&feature=related

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sHM3c-r8Oo

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkA6hpfhBZ4

Summary: Nosy SPCA guy wants access to private property to verify horses have proper shelter. When caretakers of property deny him access, he calls the police.

Cooper Travis notified the officer he was audio and video recording at first, which he acknowledged, then after he wasn't getting anywhere with the caretakers denying access to the property, he asks for the camera to be turned off. When Cooper refused to turn off the camera, the officer arrested him.

The story from Cooper is that the officer didn't even see he was OCing until he was starting to handcuff him. He then disarms Cooper and HANDS THE GUN TO THE SPCA GUY :shock:

Once getting cooper to the police station, they gave him a stern warning and released him. They offered him a ride home, Cooper refused.

I'm sure there's a thread somewhere out on the net in one of those Free Stater forums, but couldn't find it.

...Orygunner...

just_a_car

imported post

TheMrMitch wrote:
Fact can be stranger than fiction! Just WOW!

"He then disarms Cooper and HANDS THE GUN TO THE SPCA GUY :shock:
...and here's the big question, how did the officer know that the SPCA guy wasn't a felon or disqualified to possess a firearm? This is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard an officer doing.

Decoligny

imported post

Looks like the SPCA Agents may have some limited police powers. If they have been given arrest authority, they probably went through some sort of training. Probably been background checked too. Wouldn't want an ex-felon given arrest authority.

TITLE VII. SHERIFFS, CONSTABLES, AND POLICE OFFICERS
CHAPTER 105. POLICE OFFICERS AND WATCHMEN
DOMESTIC ANIMALS

105:18. Special Deputies
Any officer or agent of any incorporated society for the prevention of cruelty to animals, upon being designated in writing for that purpose by the sheriff of any county in this state, may, within such county, make arrests and bring before any court or magistrate having jurisdiction offenders found violating the provisions of this subdivision.

demnogis

imported post

WOW! So an SPCA organization -- which is a non-profit, not part of the government, independant organization -- has deputy powers?

How the hell do we go about making our own free-rights organization and being deputized?
:what:

Slayer of Paper

imported post

demnogis wrote:
WOW! So an SPCA organization -- which is a non-profit, not part of the government, independant organization -- has deputy powers?

How the hell do we go about making our own free-rights organization and being deputized?
Count me in!

Orygunner

imported post

Slayer of Paper wrote:
demnogis wrote:

Count me in!

Yeah. Let's propose:

105:18.5. Special Deputies
Any officer or agent of any incorporated society for the prevention of cruelty to humans, upon being designated in writing for that purpose by the sheriff of any county in this state, may, within such county, make arrests and bring before any court or magistrate having jurisdiction offenders found violating the provisions of this subdivision.

...I'm here from the SPCH, the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Humans, and you're under arrest for teaching your kids to be sheeple...
...Orygunner...

Edited for 50% less insult...

KBCraig

imported post

demnogis wrote:
ONLY if they are so authorized by the county sheriff. On one of the FSP-related forums, the SPCA "investigator", Steve Sprowl, is quoted testifying about his gripe that very few sheriffs will issue this authorization. Sheriffs see it as a liability problem to deputize private investigators, so they don't do it. We don't yet know if he had that authorization from the sheriff of Rockingham County, but I doubt it.

Another post pointed out that wearing a badge and holding oneself out as a LEO is a felony in NH. (I can't find it at the moment, will edit later to provide a cite when I do.) Mr. Sprowl certainly seems to be skating on thin ice here.

MetalChris

imported post

How long are we going to put up with this crap? When are these JBTs going to start getting put down?

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

And I can't even get the local SPCA to come trap an oppossum that's making all the dogs in my neighborhood go crazy.

Hmmm.

Do they make oppossum sized gun belts? Maybe if I put one out for the little critter, they'll come and get him.

KBCraig

imported post

The follow-up I promised, with cites:

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/VII/105/105-18.htm

105:18 Special Deputies. – Any officer or agent of any incorporated society for the prevention of cruelty to animals, upon being designated in writing for that purpose by the sheriff of any county in this state, may, within such county, make arrests and bring before any court or magistrate having jurisdiction offenders found violating the provisions of this subdivision.

Also, copied from here:

http://nhunderground.com/forum/index.php?topic=15929.msg268675#msg268675

Not sure if this has been seen:

http://www.nh.gov/humane/documents/080327min.pdf

Minutes of March 27 2008 of the NH Commissions on the Treatment of Animals

In Steve Sprowls own words: (bottom of Page 3 of the minutes)

The other problem is that we have very little authority in this state. Most investigators are not empowered to make arrests unless they are sworn in as deputies by a Sheriff Department. Most of the Sheriff Departments are not willing to swear in special deputies because of liability and insurance issues. Even if sworn, some do not have the qualifications to handle full investigations and have never been trained or are experienced in law enforcement. Steve proposes we should have the same set up here in NH as the Mass MSPCA does.

Page 4
NH could do the same if the Governor would appoint our agents as special auxiliary troopers, giving them the powers of arrest and search warrants and then we could be move valuable to our agencies and not have to get local PD’s involved especially if they do not want to be involved. Presently it is hard to get a police involved and getting search warrants. Most Police Departments are concerned with the costs of seizing animals and holding animals for court and some have even refused to take on animal cases because of the costs.

fairfax1

imported post

demnogis wrote:

In New York, the ASPCA has ever more authority. They have full police powers: (uniforms, arrest powers, badges, cuffs, and carry firearms) and even have crusers:

Animal_Precinct-1.jpg

AbNo

imported post

Orygunner wrote:
Slayer of Paper wrote:
demnogis wrote:

Count me in!

Yeah. Let's propose:

105:18.5. Special Deputies
Any officer or agent of any incorporated society for the prevention of cruelty to humans, upon being designated in writing for that purpose by the sheriff of any county in this state, may, within such county, make arrests and bring before any court or magistrate having jurisdiction offenders found violating the provisions of this subdivision.

...I'm here from the SPCH, the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Humans, and you're under arrest for teaching your kids to be sheeple...
...Orygunner...

Edited for 50% less insult...
How do we get started on this?