• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Obama's plans for guns. From the Office of the President Elect's .gov website

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Looks like Obama is doubling down on guns.

ETA: Looks like it was changed again 11/17. Obama sure is keeping his promise for change.

http://change.gov/agenda/urbanpolicy_agenda/

Address Gun Violence in Cities: Obama and Biden would repeal the Tiahrt Amendment, which restricts the ability of local law enforcement to access important gun trace information, and give police officers across the nation the tools they need to solve gun crimes and fight the illegal arms trade. Obama and Biden also favor commonsense measures that respect the Second Amendment rights of gun owners, while keeping guns away from children and from criminals. They support closing the gun show loophole and making guns in this country childproof. They also support making the expired federal Assault Weapons Ban permanent.

Under agenda item - urban policy before it was removed:

Address Gun Violence in Cities: As president, Barack Obama would
repeal the Tiahrt Amendment, which restricts the ability of local law
enforcement to access important gun trace information, and give police
officers across the nation the tools they need to solve gun crimes and
fight the illegal arms trade. Obama and Biden also favor commonsense
measures that respect the Second Amendment rights of gun owners, while
keeping guns away from children and from criminals who shouldn't have
them. They support closing the gun show loophole and making guns in
this country childproof. They also support making the expired federal
Assault Weapons Ban permanent, as such weapons belong on foreign
battlefields and not on our streets.

ETA: Original statement from campaign website:
http://origin.barackobama.com/issues/urban_policy/
Address Gun Violence in Cities:
As president, Barack Obama would repeal the Tiahrt Amendment, which restricts the ability of local law enforcement to access important gun trace information, and give police officers across the nation the tools they need to solve gun crimes and fight the illegal arms trade. Obama and Biden also favor commonsense measures that respect the Second Amendment rights of gun owners, while keeping guns away from children and from criminals who shouldn't have them. They support closing the gun show loophole and making guns in this country childproof. They also support making the expired federal Assault Weapons Ban permanent, as such weapons belong on foreign battlefields and not on our streets.

Vegassteve

imported post

What I am about to say is not going to be nice.

ALL OF YOU MORONS,AND IDIOTS WHO FELL FOR THIS MANS CLAIMS OF A NEW WORLD ARE GOING TO GET IT.

FOR YOU TO BE SO STUPID AS TO THINK THAT OBAMA WOULD NOT TRY TO TAKE OUR GUN RIGHTS AWAY IS JUST STUPID. IF YOU VOTED FOR HIM YOU VOTED TO HAVE YOUR RIGHTS TAKIN AWAY AND YOU SHOULD GET IN LINE NOW AND JUST DO IT.

BJA

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Vegassteve, I did not vote for obama and I'm sure (I hope) that not many on this web sight did, anyone who beleives in the 2nd ammendment should not have voted for him I agree with ya but calm down alittle most of us on here are on common ground when it came to the presidential race. I too am very frustrated! and mad! you can not say that you are for the 2nd ammendment and then try to make the assault weapons ban permanent! WTF!? Us law abiding citizens do not need to be punished for thugs in the urban areas.

The last sentence makes me shake in my boots...... I knew his agenda would be like this :banghead:which is why I bought my glock22 with 15 round mags in may and I am buying a WASR tonight, it's sad that this is probobly going to happen but with our efforts I beleive we can stop it!

Ben

nking

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

so anyone have an idea on what the tax hike on ammo might be like or do you think any of that will change? Not sure if i need to go ahead and buy some more now before he hits office, now granted i know he cant make things happen over night but im sure it's coming.

Gordie

imported post

Our only hope is to contact our Representatives and Senators and remind them what happened after the Clinton assault weapons ban. The fear of the Congress going back to the Republicans may keep some of them in check.

Obama was not elected for his stand on gun rights but because the major media convinced people that he could fix the economy. If we put enough pressure on Congress and remind them of this fact, we might have a chance.

The Donkey

imported post

The quote is almost word-for-word from Obama's official campaign site.

Take a chill pill.

That agenda is not going anywhere.:)

MetalChris

imported post

The Donkey wrote:

Take a chill pill.

What makes you so sure? Obooba's record?

CJ

imported post

I don't think I'd count on Pelosi and Reid to protect our rights.

demnogis

imported post

Vegas, ease up.

A LARGE majority of the people here more than likely did not vote for Obama.

Instead of launching a sleu of personal attacks on other participants and members here, why not vent that frustration to your representatives, reminding them that they serve the greater good and constitution first, before the will of the president to be?

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

The Donkey wrote:

Take a chill pill.

Wow so your calling Obama a liar? I'm shocked.

Oh and I agree it's not going anywhere but no thanks will be due to the Democratic party.

Slayer of Paper

imported post

If you look at the date, it says June 12th, so it's definitely not new. I wonder why I didn't hear about it before. Also, on the link provided, one of the listed sponsors is Ileana Ros-Lehtinen of Florida. She was rated A- by the GOA, and I seriously doubt she could keep that rating with such a sponsorship. On other sites, I have seen just the other 3 co-sponsors.

The Donkey

imported post

longwatch wrote:

Oh and I agree it's not going anywhere but no thanks will be due to the Democratic party.

Pro Gun Dems:

Baucus

Casey

Nelson

Tester

Warner

Webb

Possibly Reid.

"Moderate" republicans on guns:

McCain

Voinovich

Pro gun result = total republicans + 4 or 5

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

longwatch wrote:
The Donkey wrote:

Take a chill pill.

Wow so your calling Obama a liar?  I'm shocked.

Who cares about playing the blame game? As long as we get our way, I get to focus my criticism of Obama on non-gun issues. ;)

Xeni

imported post

Check out http://change.gov/agenda/urbanpolicy/

Under Address Gun Violence in Cities is the following:

As president, Barack Obama would repeal the Tiahrt Amendment, which restricts the ability of local law enforcement to access important gun trace information, and give police officers across the nation the tools they need to solve gun crimes and fight the illegal arms trade. Obama and Biden also favor commonsense measures that respect the Second Amendment rights of gun owners, while keeping guns away from children and from criminals who shouldn't have them. They support closing the gun show loophole and making guns in this country childproof. They also support making the expired federal Assault Weapons Ban permanent, as such weapons belong on foreign battlefields and not on our streets.

Forty-five

imported post

"...such weapons belong on foreign battlefields and not on our streets."
a) I thought he was going to arm the troops with white flags; b) I'd prefer that our troops have full auto capability, and not be limited to semi-auto firearms covered by the ban.