• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LEO opinion of what "open" is and is not

VAopencarry

imported post

If it hasn't been said yet
DO NOT get an OPINION from an LEO. Think about it, it his/her 'opinion' follow the law of your state, if you are concerned about what is or isn't OC consult an attorney not a cop.

nikerret

imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
If it hasn't been said yet
DO NOT get an OPINION from an LEO. Think about it, it his/her 'opinion' follow the law of your state, if you are concerned about what is or isn't OC consult an attorney not a cop.

Especially, one who gave free advice on the internet...:D

You won't need an attorney if you can get past the LEO's ;)

I'm mostly kidding, of course.

Once again these are my opinions, based on my training and the current interpretation of case law (pretty much none). Yes, you should consult an attorney, but do recognize LEO will follow the current trends in prosecution and judgments.

If you feel I am inaccurate in any of my descriptions or examples feel free to disregard them.

It would be a great time when the Constitution of the United States was not bound by the fears of those who can convince the masses.

Stay Safe,
nikerret

PS. I am sad to see messages deleted. No matter their content they did serve many purposes. Thank you to those who have replied, no matter their response.

shad0wfax

imported post

In the state I live in, the first picture is clearly open carry.

The second picture would most likely be open carry, but some LEO's might attempt to make an issue of the partial concealment. I don't think such attempts would survive legal scrutiny, but I could be wrong.

The rest of the pictures all share one thing in common: they appear to be furtive in nature, and in my state, any attempt to furtively conceal a weapon requires a concealed carry permit.