• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LEO opinion of what "open" is and is not

nikerret

imported post

In the KS sub-forum a member asked if an IWB holster is okay for open carry. Retention issues aside, here is what I consider to be "open" and "not open" carry. I understand there are different laws everywhere and you need to follow them and what you believe is within the law. I am posting this for thought and discussion.

Open Carry:

NOT Open Carry

mkl

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
'  There's no reason whatever to carry IWB when OC'n.  If you're gonna OPEN CARRY then do that. 

Unless of course you were CCing and need to switch to OC.

nikerret

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:

I put the shirt and jeans on just for the pics. Didn't realize I was showing ALL THAT SKIN. Sorry about the drawers "showin'":banghead:. It wasn't a fashion statement. if there wasn't a perceived need to clarify the issue I wouldn't have started the thread.

As the title states: This is my OPINION. Like it or not, I'm entitled to it.

PT111

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:

LMAO but pretty much agree for the most part. However I don't think he intends to go out like that so I am going to overlook the dress style.

The first two pictures are definitely OC. The second two would be OC pretty much everywhere as it leaves no difficultydetermining that it is a gun. One of the things that I don't like about this kind of tuck where the shirttail is out but tucked behind the gun is it may give the appearance of brandishing to some people. It just makes it appear that you are trying to draw attention to your gun.

The way you have your shirt tucked in three and four I doubt that it would stay that way so would become either two of five. Thefifth is definitely CC.

As other said IWB is not an ideal for OC but can be readily changed if needed.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
Slob? Ouch, that's strong.

Its the web belt. No sense of fashion whatsoever.Keep it covered. :)

And never wear brown shoes after 6pm. Gun or no gun. :)

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

nikerret wrote:
As the title states: This is my OPINION. Like it or not, I'm entitled to it.

True, but if you are a LEO, you are NOT entitled to make arrests based solely on your opinion. You MUST follow the law or accept the consequences, just like anyone else.

BTW, here in Louisiana, only the last pic would not be open-carry. The state Supreme Court has ruled, basically, that if you can tell it's a gun, then it's not concealed. Also, there must be a specific INTENT to conceal for there to be a violation of our state's concealed carry law.

nikerret

imported post

XD-GEM wrote:
True, but if you are a LEO, you are NOT entitled to make arrests based solely on your opinion.  You MUST follow the law or accept the consequences, just like anyone else.
[/quote]

I know this. What I did not know was how much of an issue my clothing would be for an internet forum visual aid.

Walleye

imported post

nikerret is simply pointing out how ape-shit crazy the KS laws are on firearms carry. Gunbuster signs have legal power and there's a number of juristictions that deny the right to open carry.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Laws do vary from state to state.

Some one CCing in Virginia would need to move to OC if going into a restaurant that sold alcohol - its the law.

The "Virginia tuck" is very much as demonstrated in images number 2 & 3 - therefore the first three are IMO open carry. Numbers 4 & 5 however do not make the grade and along with the last image are all CC.

Yata hey

FogRider

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
...There's no reason whatever to carry IWB when OC'n...
There is when you may need to switch between OC and CC. I live close to Denver and spend quite a bit of time needing to CC. I have to go through Denver just to get anywhere fun.

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

IMHO: Either put the shirt fully over or fully behind the gun. The halfway (showing just the butt or just the hammer) is unacceptable unless your intent is to 'show' that you have a gun without 'showing' it to everybody which could be determined as brandishing as the only premise for doing so would be during an altercation of some sort... I think that the 'halfway' is asking for trouble, and as pointed out earlier, the shirt is likely to fall one way or the other definitively going either CC or OC.
Again, each state is different. Here in Texas, any but the last would be a problem since we can't OC and when CC we can't 'print' either! If it is concealed, it must be 'concealed'!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Gator5713 wrote:
snip......Again, each state is different. Here in Texas, any but the last would be a problem since we can't OC and when CC we can't 'print' either! If it is concealed, it must be 'concealed'!
So hidden, not seen, not even a hint. Isn't this the only right that we have to hide?

Understand that Florida is the same. Don't want to scare the sheeple or make them "feel" nervous - that is one their enumerated rights is it not?

Yata hey

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Most men I see these days... at least 75% are slobs. They look like they dressed in whatever's been layin' on the floor... not to mention the overweight bhudda belly's they sport. I wouldn't take the trash out lookin' like that. Maybe that's from bein' military for 20 years. Truth hurtsI see.

If you're gonna open carry a weapon... try not to look like a bum. You're gonna get looked at... and you will be judged by your overall appearance. 'Like it or not. That weapon on your hipchanges perceptions. It must look like it 'belongs' there... not just somethin' you added on... like a cell phone holster. The OP asked 'LEO' opinion. I was one of those as well.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Fortunately, here in Tn, with a HCP we can carry either way. That means that I don't have to worry if my belt holstered handgun is fully exposed/concealed or partially exposed/concealed. With the weather getting colder and my jackets not coming much lower than my waist I don't have to be concerned that part to my weapon (usually the upper portion) may be covered while the holster isn't, or that the whole thing is exposed when I raise my arms.

Life is good for us gun toters here in Tennessee. :)

nikerret, resize your photos down to around 4 x 6 and save them as new files and that will solve your large pics problem in posting.