Thread: Obama won; time to stock up! Right?

Post imported post

Wrong.

I posted this on my blog, figured I would share. LMK what you all think!

So it looks like gun sales are surging on the heels of Obama’s election. The fear, of course, is that various bans, executive orders and other legislation will make things scarcer and more expensive. So naturally savvy people are stocking up on guns, magazines, ammunition and other gear. While I would certainly not try to talk someone out of getting an Evil Black Assault Rifle before the inauguration, I would submit the following.

First, AR’s kinda suck. Just ask the Ogre. Sure, I own one, but really just to “round out the gun safe”. Nothing wrong with that.

Second, I think that taking all your cash and piling up soon-to-be-banned guns is admitting defeat. Remember, gun control cost the Democrats the house once before. And that was well before the Heller decision. So maybe the thousand or so bucks you were gonna sink into a stock AR (three grand for a tricked out picatinny clad tacti-cool monstrosity dripping with optics, lights, lasers and a disco ball!) could be put to better use.

For your consideration:

A life membership to the National Rifle Association cost $1000.00; the same as one stock AR. What will do more to protect your gun rights, another gun in the safe, or a lifetime membership to the NRA? (They will even let you make payments, so you could still get the AR and a life membership!)

A lifetime membership to the Gun Owners of America is $500. Spend less and get yourself an AK; then put the rest of the cash towards a GOA membership. (Especially for all those that think the NRA is too willing to compromise with the enemy.) They take payments too.

You can score a life membership to Jews For the Preservation of Firearms Ownership (JPFO) for $500 as well. (Sorry, no payment plan. But you can join just for the two years until the next mid-term election for a mere $40 bucks. You don’t even have to be Jewish!)

Or maybe you could spend a few of those dollars joining a local organization like the Virginia Citizens Defense Leauge (VCDL). Many states have an equivalent grass-roots organization, and if yours doesn’t the VCDL accepts out-of-state members. (Plus we have the benefit of being the closest local organization geographically to the bastards on Capital Hill!) Membership is $25.00 a year; the cost of about a single box of ammo.

So maybe you don’t want to send your money off to some “Organization” somewhere, or donate to a pro-gun politician; what else can you do? How about instead of dropping the $1000+ on an AR you instead buy a .22 and give it as a gift to your son/daughter/nephew/niece/God-Child/paperboy? I don’t care who you give it to, just make sure they are young enough to be considered the “next generation” of shooter. (Stupid, obvious disclaimer about following applicable laws blah blah blah.) Or maybe you keep the .22, add a pistol in the same caliber, and spend the other $500 left over on ammo and range fees to take the “next generation” shooting on Saturday mornings. Take your neighbor, a co-worker, spouses, hawt chix or the aforementioned paperboy! I think adding ten or fifteen new shooters to the ranks this year will do more than adding another evil black rifle in my arsenal for gun rights.

Don’t get me wrong, if you have the means, stock up while the getting is good! But if funds are tight, choose wisely on how your “gun-money” is spent. Maybe an AK, or even an SKS, will allow you to keep the hoards of mutant-biker-zombie-liberals from storming the walls and taking your guns. Use the rest wisely. Make your dollars work for you. Money talks. Loudly.

My two cents.

http://horridmischief.com/

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

I am a membership recruiter for the NRA and as such, can offer a discount on memberships. I think that I posted this info here before but it bears repeating...

We have a link set up, similar to the one that Horrid posted above but this one has the discounts listed....

http://membership.nrahq.org/default....ignid=XP019625

Jim

James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

That's a pretty good article. Good advice.

My guess is that Obama is not going to do anything with gun control as long as the economy is toast and it will be past his 4 years.

Cash will be king for a good while.

Post imported post

There is another thing you want to be careful of, and that is there are already gun store owners gouging their customers. They have figured out that folks are rushing out to stock up, so they have already raised their prices. Personally, even if I had the money to spend (Which I don't. Bummer.), I would be waiting a little while until after everyone is done freaking out and make sure that there is actually going to be bad legislation put into place. Folks are talking like it's a sure thing, but I'm not convinced. I'm not going to pay 20% over on a gun right now while the seller is telling me how great a deal this is going to be when it goes up 50%, if in another couple months I can buy it for normal price when nothing bad happens. To many people are panicking, and that makes for a sellers market.

Post imported post

See, I just did the smart thing, and got a $100 lower receiver. Now I have funds to spend elsewhere, like getting a second EBAR.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

I stocked up over a year ago and I was told I was off my rocker for doing that. Well now with the warm days we have been having I am sitting in my rocker enjoing a frosty drink.
    This fall my only stocking up has to do with fire wood for next year.

Post imported post

Damn, this panicking is interfering with my planned purchases. I just got back from GM where I was hoping to come home with the Mini 14 I've been planning for quite some time to buy, only to come home empty handed. Background checks normally take 15-20 minutes, and when mine was inputted at 18:00 I was told to come back in the morning. GM closes at 21:30, so it went from a 20 minute wait to over three hours. C'mon people, please, calm down!

Post imported post

The glass can be looked at either as half empty or half full. When that is the case my motto is to hope for the best (Obama does little to the 2A) but prepare for the worst (Obama does MUCH to the 2A).

In other words go buy your crap now and be as active as possible JUST IN CASE. OR....do nothing and kick yourself later.

Post imported post

Not every Dem is anti gun. When Tim Kaine got elected a lot of people panicked. When the Dems took the House and Senate that was supposed to be the end of guns. Instead of buying up everything now, joining the NRA, GOA, VCDL and then sitting back, people need to get involved in there local GOP and start getting the right canidates running and winning. I think in a way we need this threat to wake some lame a$$es up.

Post imported post

GLENGLOCKER wrote:
    Not every Dem is anti gun. When Tim Kaine got elected a lot of people panicked. When the Dems took the House and Senate that was supposed to be the end of guns. Instead of buying up everything now, joining the NRA, GOA, VCDL and then sitting back, people need to get involved in there local GOP and start getting the right canidates running and winning. I think in a way we need this threat to wake some lame a$$es up.
    If the discussion were about Democrats then you might be onto something. The discussion is on Obama specifically. Even more specifically an Obama, Pelosi, Reid, new Supreme Court Justice majority.....if they want to do damage to the gun owners...what better time than 2009-2013?

Post imported post

FogRider from Colo. has it right. Online stores, such as GunsAmerica, who recentlyhad a header saying something like"Assault Rifles Sales Up Due To Election & Economy- Hurry While We Still Have Some" are out to make hay while the sun shines. A sellers market indeed.

Post imported post

tripledipper wrote:
    FogRider from Colo. has it right. Online stores, such as GunsAmerica, who recentlyhad a header saying something like"Assault Rifles Sales Up Due To Election & Economy- Hurry While We Still Have Some" are out to make hay while the sun shines. A sellers market indeed.
    Agreed. Buyers are going to buy while they still can and sellers are going to sell as much as they can while they still can.

Obama has both sides of the market in a frenzy.

Post imported post

tripledipper wrote:
    Eh, they are selling for what people will buy.

I have 100% confidence the market will relax once december rolls around and people get distracted again. Xmas and all will play into that.

I full expect the frenzy to start up again Jan 20th.

Post imported post

peter nap wrote:
    ...My guess is that Obama is not going to do anything with gun control as long as the economy is toast...
    Obama's first few months will be spent with things like the economy, in order to get public approval on his side. Then, all the liberal groups (like the Brady Campaign) that got him in office are going to want their payback. With Pelosi and Reid, they will first go after the alleged gun show loop hole and the assault weapons ban. In all likelihood, they will do this in 2009, since 2010 is a mid-term election year (recall that Clinton said that his AWB cost him 20 house seats).

Post imported post

I personally don't see anything happening until 2011 if they will even try a AWB.

If they pass it, they could easily lose their senate lead and their house lead. They KNOW that midterm elections will have a light turnout - it won't be a repeat of this year.

If they can retain their lead in 2010 then fully expect a AWB to come.

Post imported post

Time will tell. An AWB gets introduced every year. It remains to be seen if Reid/Pelosi will push it out of committee. It is undisputablethat Obama supporters are going to want payback at some point.

Post imported post

Forty-five wrote:
    Time will tell. An AWB gets introduced every year. It remains to be seen if Reid/Pelosi will push it out of committee. It is undisputablethat Obama supporters are going to want payback at some point.
    I will just use it as an excuse to buy all the guns I have been wanting to buy

Post imported post

Ditto.

Post imported post

richarcm wrote:
    GLENGLOCKER wrote:
    If the discussion were about Democrats then you might be onto something. The discussion is on Obama specifically. Even more specifically an Obama, Pelosi, Reid, new Supreme Court Justice majority.....if they want to do damage to the gun owners...what better time than 2009-2013?
    If Obama wants to pass an AWB then he ill have to have the votes in the Congress and Senate to make it happen. That's why I said not every Dem is anti gun. Plus the GOP can still filibuster.

Post imported post

The Senate,already the more liberal of the two bodies of Congress, moved further to the left as a result of the election, e.g., Allard and Sunnunu replaced by Udall and Shaheen, respectively. Additionally, the Democrats will keep "coming up" with more votes until anti-gun comedian Al Franken overtakes Norm Coleman in Minnesota (that's what the democrats do---in a Washington State governors race in 2004, Republican Dino Rossi led after the election and after two recounts over Democrat Christine Gregoire. Democrat Gregoire overtook Republican Rossi by 129 votes in the third recount to win--the votes must be recounted until the Democrat has more!).

Even with some "pro-gun"Dems in the Senate, would they oppose an AWB? How manySenate RINOS would vote for cloture, thus breaking any filibuster? Which Senator would most likely filibuster?

Then there's the House, which is more conservative than the Senate and many Democrat Congressman come from rural districts that narrowly beat Republicans in 06 and/or 08. Even the pro-gun Virgil Goode (VA-R) was somehow upset last week, albeit with all kinds of voting irregularities--of course, it doesn't matter because the Dem ended up winning, after AP called the race for Goode). However, there is no filibuster in the House, asa Rules Committee (having a majority of Democrats) places a limit on debate when a bill goes to the floor.

Good luck!

Post imported post

Reading articles on Drudge Report yesterday it appears as thought Obama is preparing to turn back Bush's decision to drill domestically, to make stem cell research legal and to make abortion the law of the land.

What makes you people so sure that guns are going to be safe? A lot of people are in denial and don't understand what this guy is about. We are not talking about Mark Warner or Bill Clinton here. We are talking about the most radical and left wing SENATOR...not to mention PRESIDENT...in the United States. This man has a history of doing everything possible to destroy the gun movement. Yes he has to get everything approved by all of the Democrat reps but I really don't see but one or two who may stand up against what Obama wants.

I'm sorry, I don't see this glass as half full.....maybe 1/5th full....at the MOST. I apologize for letting my passion get the best of me prior to the elections but THIS is why. This man is the real deal. The Democrats have a few very minor roadblocks but for the most part this is their moment in the sun. If they want to get anti laws passed it will not be THAT hard for them.

All I'm saying is now is your chance to either be prepared for what might happen or not be prepared. The choice is yours as to how much of a threat you see Obama, Pelosi and Reid.

Yes, give NRA, VCDL and the like as much money as you can. But also be prepared that even their efforts may not be enough and make sure that you are stocked up....just in case.

Post imported post

What I see is too many people thinking that the world will end on Jan. 21st. It won't. Obama isn't all powerful, and the majority in the House is not bullet-proof.

If you don't own a decent "Homeland Defense Rifle" then by all means get one. (Or two if you have the means.) If you already have three or more, then I suggest you put that money to more effective use than simply adding another piece of hardware to the safe.

We are in for a serious two years, no doubt about it. But the outcry against the Amnesty for illegal aliens was so loud and widespread that it did not pass. The Democrats lost the house in 1994 to gun control; they will tread warily. Obama's Change.gov website has already removed the offending passages due to the heat it generated in a day or two.

The Gun Lobby is the most powerful grass roots effort in America, and has made the NRA the most powerful lobby in Washington. We are more motivated than we have ever been previously on the heels of the Heller decision. They fear us. For good reason. I am positive that "the powers that be" are noting the massive commerce in arms currently taking place; that's a good thing. But I think our Congress-critters will also notice a massive jump in NRA memberships, pro-2A letters and immediate backlash every time they approach the "third rail" of freedom.

My two cents.

Post imported post

Horrid Mischief wrote:
    What I see is too many people thinking that the world will end on Jan. 21st. It won't. Obama isn't all powerful, and the majority in the House is not bullet-proof.

If you don't own a decent "Homeland Defense Rifle" then by all means get one. (Or two if you have the means.) If you already have three or more, then I suggest you put that money to more effective use than simply adding another piece of hardware to the safe.

We are in for a serious two years, no doubt about it. But the outcry against the Amnesty for illegal aliens was so loud and widespread that it did not pass. The Democrats lost the house in 1994 to gun control; they will tread warily. Obama's Change.gov website has already removed the offending passages due to the heat it generated in a day or two.

The Gun Lobby is the most powerful grass roots effort in America, and has made the NRA the most powerful lobby in Washington. We are more motivated than we have ever been previously on the heels of the Heller decision. They fear us. For good reason. I am positive that "the powers that be" are noting the massive commerce in arms currently taking place; that's a good thing. But I think our Congress-critters will also notice a massive jump in NRA memberships, pro-2A letters and immediate backlash every time they approach the "third rail" of freedom.

My two cents.
    The world has changed a LOT in the past 2-4 years. Things that did not pass years ago people are ready to adopt hoping that a difference can be made.

I certainly agree that the world will not end on 1/21. It will not end regardless of what the date is in our lifetime. But a lot of things are about to change. We do have some very good allies with NRA and other gun lobbyists. But it is VERY DANGEROUS to be so complacent as to think that they are going to fix everything for us. One, we as individuals are going to have to do a LOT of activist work....more than OCing. TWO, the NRA is not bulletproof (no pun intended). As powerful as they were they were not able to keep Obama from being elected.

All I'm saying is this is not a time to rely on your faith in the NRA. This is a time to give to the NRA, to become personally responsible in becoming active and to be PREPARED just in case the Democrats in Washington are as powerful as everything about them suggests in regards to the 2A.

The mindset of "everything will be alright...don't worry" is what is going to get us in a LOT of trouble. We need to be proactive, offensive and PREPARED.

Post imported post

Look, at NO TIME have I advocated that everything will be "OK" or that the "NRA will save us". My suggestions that began this post advocated the very grass roots efforts you agreed were needed.

All is not well, but despair and panic are stupid. Yes, the forces of the Left are in power; BUT they have to deal with Heller, a populous that has been consistently rejecting gun control for years, and the memory of losing the House in 1994 to over-reaching gun control measures.

Does that mean we are "safe" and can kick back? Nope, and no one has suggested as much. What I am trying to do is to get people to realize that a few bucks to the VCDL or JPFO or NRA will do more to preserve your gun rights than another evil black rifle stocked up in the command bunker waiting for that far away day "when the gloves come off". (Whenever that is supposed to be.)

Post imported post

Horrid Mischief wrote:
    Look, at NO TIME have I advocated that everything will be "OK" or that the "NRA will save us". My suggestions that began this post advocated the very grass roots efforts you agreed were needed.

All is not well, but despair and panic are stupid. Yes, the forces of the Left are in power; BUT they have to deal with Heller, a populous that has been consistently rejecting gun control for years, and the memory of losing the House in 1994 to over-reaching gun control measures.

Does that mean we are "safe" and can kick back? Nope, and no one has suggested as much. What I am trying to do is to get people to realize that a few bucks to the VCDL or JPFO or NRA will do more to preserve your gun rights than another evil black rifle stocked up in the command bunker waiting for that far away day "when the gloves come off". (Whenever that is supposed to be.)
    I understand everything you say. My point is that we should be active on a grass roots level, give to the NRA AND stock up if funds allow us to. Should we be FREAKING out? No. Should we understand that now may be a good time to stock up, yes. I understand your point that our money may be better served by giving to pro gun organizations. But that is also in part assuming that their efforts will be successful. If we give to the NRA as much as we can and the NRA is not successful and we were not able to stock up on the guns, ammo, etc that we need....what then? We need to work towards victory but be prepared for defeat.

That's my point.