• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

choosing an oc gun

nessala

imported post

I am a 32 year old semi-disabled female. And I am trying to figure out which gun to buy. Basically I am wanting something very easy to use, with as little recoil as possible while still being effective. Any suggestions?

scorpioajr

imported post

nessala wrote:
I am a 32 year old semi-disabled female. And I am trying to figure out which gun to buy. Basically I am wanting something very easy to use, with as little recoil as possible while still being effective. Any suggestions?
Hello and welcome to the forums (Quite an influx this week...)

I feel that the best way for myself and my wife to pick out our guns was to go shoot them. :D Even if you didn't know anyone with a bunch of guns (like you do now :lol:), you could just head up to the range with a variety of unspent caliber bullets and ask nicely. I personally have never said 'No' to anyone. So, I suppose my answer is to try and get some experience with different guns, Even if that experience is as minimal as just holding them at the shop for a LONG time. Pistols, revolvers, DA, SA, Caliber, capacity??!?!?!! Yea, your gonna have fun figurin' this one out!

Good Luck!

Oh, and BTW: ALL guns are, for the most part, easy to use and user friendly. Be sure to have the guy across the counter show/teach you how to disassemble and reassemble your handgun before you choose to buy it. That is a common complaint.

LovesHisXD45

imported post

What is your body style and frame size? How tall are you and what is the extent of your disability? With a little more info, we could offer better suggestions that would fit your situation better. Also, a little detail about the areas you wish to OC to most often would help as well.

Certain types of firearms and calibers are more appropriate for different types of people and the conditions in which they will carry them.

Cheers,

Kevin

vinnie

imported post

If you ever get to south central Idaho let me know. I will take you to the range and let you try the small variety that I have,

nessala

imported post

I am 5' 3" and overweight. :D I have somewhat limited upper body strength and limited mobility in my arms due to surgeries and radiation treatment. I am basically wanting it for protection if I am out alone running errands especially after dark. I used to go shooting every once in a while, but have gotten out of the habit in the last7 years or so. Due to current world events, I kind of feel promted to get back in the habit as it were. It's been so long though that I feel like I'm starting all over again, especially with the physical issues that I now have. When I used to go shooting I used my husband's cz-52, but I want to find something that has cheap and easily accessible ammo.

vinnie

imported post

Romanian 7.62x25 86grn FMJ

72rd box: $7.95ea
1,224rd can: $119.95ea

click for details

If you can handle the cz 52 you can handle most pistols. A couple of 1224 round cans of ammo and you don't have to worry about local supplies for at least 3 or 4 months.

xmirage2kx

imported post

Well if racking a slide is an issue (with many people it is) then you want a revolver instead of a semi-auto. A 2" barrel leads to a lot of muzzle flip, so a 4" would be better there, and 38spl is a good round that packs a punch to the BG but easy on the arms. look at S&W 357/38 with a 4" barrel(or similar)for a good all around gun. It is harder to CC, but it can be done, and great to OC.

If you dont like revolvers a fullsized 9mm (glock 17/19 for example) is a good choice and allows you to carry more ammo.

The smaller the gun the harder to shoot.

nessala

imported post

ok, so I went around to a few places this weekend and looked at a few guns. Racking the slide is a huge issue.:X the only ones that I could easliy rack the slide on were 22s I tried the walther p22 and the sig mosquito. My dad also suggested that I try a ruger 22/45, but I didn't get a chance to do that yet. I found the mosquito to be very comfortable and extremely easy to use. But some of the reviews I've read on it weren't too good. If I could find something in a larger caliber that was as easy to use as the sig, I would jump on it, but I don't know if it exists.:banghead:

Also, for some subconscious reason that I can't articulate, I don't really want a revolver.

Any suggestions:question:

BTW Robert, thegirlsand I enjoyed the get together this weekend, I was glad to meet all of you:)

xmirage2kx

imported post

Well that gets harder. All rimfire pistols will have some jamming problems, and all bigger calibers will have stiffer springs. There is the Beretta Tomcat 32 and 92fs are not too bad, but are still harder than a .22. Have you tried the push method to rack the slide? http://www.corneredcat.com/RunGun/rack.aspx

A P22 is a good choice for a .22 if that is what you can manage. With a .45 you aim for center mass and hope for the best, with a .22 you can write your name on the guys forehead.

nessala

imported post

yeah, I've tried several different techniques for racking the sllide. The problem is that I've had extensive surgery which pretty much beat the crap out of my left chest wall and left me with all sorts of scar tissue and adhesions and non existent muscle tone, so it's not a matter of hand strength, although thats a contributing factor. Maybe, I'm just going to have to resign myelf to a 22 and try to get over the "I'm a wimp" feeling.:cry:

scorpioajr

imported post

nessala wrote:
...Maybe, I'm just going to have to resign myelf to a 22 and try to get over the "I'm a wimp" feeling.:cry:

Hey. I have some serious .22lr spent brass count from my buds Walther P22. And I'll give that handgun a 8/10. -1 because it doesn't fit my bottom two fingers, and another -1 because the front sight keeps popin' out when he draws it from his fobus holster. :?(i told him super glue...):p

Other than those two reasons, i think its a perfectly suitable self defense tool. And to anyone who thinks the standard .22lr isn't going to be up to par: fine, go get some .22 Stingers, or some other brand of high velocity .22lr-- it should get the job done.

OH - and if you DO plan on getting a CFP, you probably picked one of the top five easiest handguns to conceal..

(They don't make .22 in a +P do they?):question:

LovesHisXD45

imported post

nessala wrote:
yeah, I've tried several different techniques for racking the sllide. The problem is that I've had extensive surgery which pretty much beat the crap out of my left chest wall and left me with all sorts of scar tissue and adhesions and non existent muscle tone, so it's not a matter of hand strength, although thats a contributing factor. Maybe, I'm just going to have to resign myelf to a 22 and try to get over the "I'm a wimp" feeling.:cry:
Sounds like a good revolver should do the trick for ya.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

A 9mm Luger may solve your problem on putting a semi-auto into battery.

Also learning a new (actually better way) of racking the slide on other semi-autos should make it easier for you.

Do NOT push the slide back with your left hand while holding the gun stable with your right.

Instead grip the slide with your left - no other action with the left hand - just hold it tightly. Now with the right hand, grip the stocks and PUSH sharply away from you with the RIGHT hand - like punching someone. Try this several times - it needs to be learned - but it will work.

I too have had surgery and radiation on my right neck/shoulder muscle - they said I'd never lift my right arm above my shoulder again - wrong! I carry a 1911 most days and can rack it fine utilizing that method and I'm almost as fast as I once was within hundreths of a sec difference.

Don't quit - you beat the odds once - now beat 'em again.

Yata hey

Matai

imported post

My mother is about the same size as you, from your description, and she picked up a Bersa .380 and loves it. The slide was rather easy to rack for her, and when I tried it, it was a far cry from how stiff my XD 9mm sub-compact is. The .380 has a bit bigger punch than a .22 and you can get hollow points for it (I haven't looked for +P rounds yet). I'd recommend trying that one.

And +1 on the "push" method. Thanks for the detailed explanation on that, Grapeshot. I was confused at first when I heard the term, but your explanation makes perfect sense.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Two rounds/loadings are superior IMO in any semi-auto. Either Cor-bon DPX or Federal HST - both have great resistance to separation and fragmentation while making a hole like a larger caliber. HST is frequently avail. in a lighter projectile which further reduces felt recoil too. As always - make sure that they feed and function in your handgun.

These two ammos have put .380 back into the mix for me as an acceptable combination.

Yata hey

yo101jimmy

imported post

I would suggest just becasue my mother loved this gun she had both problems with her wrists but at 65 still was blasting it up. She Shot a Tokarev 9mm

Here is some info on it
http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg20-e.htm

I seen these guns pretty cheap here in Utah, around $250

Its a mild shooter. but being a 9mm can really hurt

Or carry a single shot

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg100-e.htm

Black hawk in a 350 or .38 is a nice easy gun or a Bear cat they are a great fun gun