• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

One less gun free zone

Puddin99

Campaign Veteran
imported post

http://www.responsibilityproject.com/blog/post/teachers-with-guns-dont-mess-with-texas/

Teachers With Guns: Don’t Mess With Texas?
At the only school in the small farm town of Harrold, Texas, it’s not teacher’s pet that has everyone talking.

It’s teacher’s pistol.

In an effort to deter a Columbine-like school massacre, the local school board recently decreed that teachers could carry concealed weapons at school and in the classrooms, the first school in the U.S. to do so.

“Country people are take-care-of-yourself-people,” explained school superintendent David Thweatt. “They’re not under the illusion that the police are there to protect them.”

The nearest police are based 17 miles away. Lacking funds to hire security guards, the school board decided that letting teachers carry guns would result in better security anyway, since an attacker wouldn’t know who might shoot him.

Harrold’s school—which houses about one hundred students from kindergarten to high school—has a card-swipe security entry system as well as screening for visitors. But Mr. Thweatt, who calls himself as “a contingency planner,” says gun-free schools are simply targets for attack. “That’s like saying sic ’em to a dog,” he said.

The armed teachers have received mandatory firearms training and will use special bullets designed to reduce ricocheting—in this case, off chalk boards and desks.

Though “Don’t Mess With Texas” has long been a state mantra, making gun-toting teachers responsible for school security has some critics up in arms. “They are not trained to make life and death decisions,” said one Harrold resident. “There are too many things that could happen.”

“It’s a disaster waiting to happen,” said a Houston teacher’s association official. “It’s up there with the worst ideas in the history of education.”

Tell us what you think: Should teachers be responsible for providing school security by carrying guns? Schools are expected to protect their students, but where does a teacher’s responsibility end?

adamsesq

imported post

Its amazing how great the idea is and yet how many places prohibit carry in schools. I honestly can't believe it after all the school shootings, but alas.

At least here in Oregon we as visitors can carry in schools with a CCW - that is a rare [blur]privilege[/blur] right protected throughout this country.

-adamsesq

Orygunner

imported post

Yup. It's pretty nifty that Oregon law exempts a CHL holder from that restriction.

I had opportunity to ask at the office of my son's Elementary school here in Springfield, what is their procedure if, say, I walked in with a handgun worn openly on my hip, since it is legal to do so with a CHL. They said their first step is to call the police, the second step is to lock down the school. The other lady said it was illegal to do so, and the first lady told her no, it is legal with a CHL, but if they don't know the person, the kids' safety is their first priority...

Right now the public schools is the only place I won't currently OC, but I've got to figure out a way to get that done somehow... ;)

...Orygunner...

PMartin

imported post

I carry to my kids pre-school twice a week, but its a private school so not prone to hysteria like the union teachers.
I'll be moving up to the public schools next year, however I'll call them first and let them know so they have no excuse for inciting a panic.

Los

imported post

Orygunner wrote:
They said their first step is to call the police, the second step is to lock down the school. The other lady said it was illegal to do so, and the first lady told her no, it is legal with a CHL, but if they don't know the person, the kids' safety is their first priority...

Havingtwo kids in school, I would want their schools to take the steps described above should an unknown person walk in with a gun....

Los

imported post

PMartin wrote:
I carry to my kids pre-school twice a week, but its a private school so not prone to hysteria like the union teachers.
I'll be moving up to the public schools next year, however I'll call them first and let them know so they have no excuse for inciting a panic.
So do you OC at the private school....?

PMartin

imported post

Ya, Only time I even had anyone say anything was when I ran into another parent (An employee of mine) that asked if I hid it at work.
I don't carry at work, against company policy.

Orygunner

imported post

Los wrote:
Orygunner wrote:
They said their first step is to call the police, the second step is to lock down the school. The other lady said it was illegal to do so, and the first lady told her no, it is legal with a CHL, but if they don't know the person, the kids' safety is their first priority...

Havingtwo kids in school, I would want their schools to take the steps described above should an unknown person walk in with a gun....

See, and that's a pretty sad state for us to be in... Where someone is considered dangerous or untrustworthy or even just eyed suspiciously just because they're carrying a gun.

Our media has us to paranoid and so used to the BS concept that "guns don't belong in school" that too many people freak out if they see one anywhere near a school.

I'd like to see a world where:

1. Firearms safety training is mandatory and shooting sports are brought back into the schools.

2. Teachers that want to are allowed to carry firearms for protection of themselves and students (training paid for by the school).

3. The failed policy of "Gun-Free Zones" are eliminated.

I don't know if we'll ever get there, but it's a worth goal to work towards, IMO.

...Orygunner...

jerg_064

imported post

Orygunner wrote:
Los wrote:
Orygunner wrote:

See, and that's a pretty sad state for us to be in... Where someone is considered dangerous or untrustworthy or even just eyed suspiciously just because they're carrying a gun.

Our media has us to paranoid and so used to the BS concept that "guns don't belong in school" that too many people freak out if they see one anywhere near a school.

1. Firearms safety training is mandatory and shooting sports are brought back into the schools.

2. Teachers that want to are allowed to carry firearms for protection of themselves and students (training paid for by the school).

I don't know if we'll ever get there, but it's a worth goal to work towards, IMO.

...Orygunner...
Definitely agree. It's ridiculous that people see someone as dangerous simply because they have a firearm.

Being from eastern Oregon(Long Creek) in a small ranch/ex woodmill town the locals pay absolutely no attention to firearms. I've walked through the middle of town to a friends house carrying a rifle in my hands when I was 12 years old!

We all used to have rifles sitting in the windows of our truck while at school. My math teacher is the one who taught the Hunter safety course. And before FFA, when 4H was more prevalent; shooting was a large part of competition and extra-curricular activities. We even had a student bring in a muzzle loader for an english class speech.

It wasn't until our local teachers got old and new collage boy/girl city slicker teachers started coming in that these fascist rules started coming about. No firearms in your vehicles on school property, proof of registration to even park your vehicle on school property, bogus contracts to even play sports. The trust in students wasn't lost until the city folk came in!

All of my friends and I had loaded firearms with extra ammo in our rooms since our pre-teen years, and it wasn't even for protection. It was because they're our guns, it's simply part of the rural lifestyle. And maybe to kill magpies and coyotes in the mornings:celebrate. And there was never a single firearms "accident"!!!

Keeping and bearing arms is a lifestyle. A community that practices it is a safe and "polite society". Communities that don't live by it are rude and dangerous. That's not an opinion, it's a fact that you can still see today in the right parts of the country.

So y'all keep OC'n. It's best for all of society! And I'll be OC'n, however after my terms up and I get enough $$ to go in on a partnership on a ranch with a good friend I'm going back to rural eastern Oregon. The best damn place in the world.:)

Los

imported post

Orygunner wrote:
Los wrote:
Orygunner wrote:

...Orygunner...
I agree with your three points. I myself would like to become more comfortable with OC'ing to the point that I will OC more than CC. I'm sure that eventually I will.

However, I still dont see an issue with the school taking preventive measureswhen someone walks in with a gun. That's my opinion.

I dont know that I would OC at a school but if I did, I may call ahead to avoid a panic. My guess is calling ahead would only mean LE would be waiting rather than getting there after I arrive.

tallblue

imported post

Orygunner wrote:
Los wrote:
Orygunner wrote:

It's not just that the person is carrying a gun, it's that the sheeple realize their own defenselessness. Instead of fixing the problem with themselves, they want everyone they come into contact with to be defenseless too, hence "gun-free" zones. If, instead, all of the teachers and administrative staff were armed and trained, then a man with a gun on his hip wouldn't necessarily trigger a panic response.

We-the-People

imported post

tallblue wrote:
Orygunner wrote:
Los wrote:
Orygunner wrote:

It's not just that the person is carrying a gun, it's that the sheeple realize their own defenselessness. Instead of fixing the problem with themselves, they want everyone they come into contact with to be defenseless too, hence "gun-free" zones. If, instead, all of the teachers and administrative staff were armed and trained, then a man with a gun on his hip wouldn't necessarily trigger a panic response.

Take another READ of what the lady who knew the law said. IF THEY DIDN"T KNOW THE PERSON. That indicates to me that if they did know the person they would have a different reaction. At least the one who knew the law, and hopefully then educated the other woman (and everyone else....hoping too much maybe huh?).

I think that if they didn't know the person, that would be reasonable considering that the school is defenseless. (added) Now hopefully the cop that shows up doesn't go Rambo but that's probably the most likely REALITY as well. (end edit)

It shouldn't have to be that way but until the courts find that teachers and other employees can CC they don't have another option and the safety of the kids IS priority.

Just my opinion, yours may vary.

Xader

imported post

jerg_064 wrote:
I'm going back to rural eastern Oregon. The best damn place in the world.:)   

I just spent the better part of a decade going to school there (guess that makes me a college boy ;) ) and I'm getting married there next week (fiancee is from Baker) and the only things I didn't like were the lack of real rivers (grew up on the Columbia) and the long drive if I needed to go to a city.

Some of my best friends there were from logging towns, so I'm a fan of your folk :D

imported post

jerg_064 wrote:
Orygunner wrote:
Los wrote:
Orygunner wrote:

...Orygunner...

So y'all keep OC'n. It's best for all of society! And I'll be OC'n, however after my terms up and I get enough $$ to go in on a partnership on a ranch with a good friend I'm going back to rural eastern Oregon. The best damn place in the world.:)

the only problem is state laws effect the entire state. and the liberalism surrounding bend is growing