• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Clear something up for me

G

imported post

First a little bit about me, I'm 16 and I have taken several firearm classes, I'm one of the safest people around, I have a Glock 21, Kimber 1911 ( a gift from my dad) a CX4 Storm, Winchester 1300 Defender and several other shot guns.

My question was what is the age limit in Alaska to OC, I saw the map on the main page and it said 14, but I want to clarify since I don't want any trouble with law enforcement, btw don't my younger age concern, I have had several people say they trust me with a gun more than they do there own children.

Reno82

imported post

I think it's 18 or 16. I could be wrong. I know for a fact you can't buy guns till 21 and can't get a CCW till 21. Remember most school districts don't allow guns on school property and at school functions. (Remember the parking lot is school property.)

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

Welcome to the forum.

While Alaska law may allow for carry at 14, Federal lawapplies to"juveniles" (under the age of 18) possessing a handgun. 18 U.S.C. § 922(x)(2), (5). I'm not an expert on this law so under some exceptions it might be doable.

Federal law does not apply for the possession of long guns however.

G

imported post

Reno82 wrote:
I think it's 18 or 16. I could be wrong. I know for a fact you can't buy guns till 21 and can't get a CCW till 21. Remember most school districts don't allow guns on school property and at school functions. (Remember the parking lot is school property.)

My bad, I just turned 17 a few days ago, so it takes awhile for me to get out of saying 16, and I'm home-schooled, so I don't need to worry about school grounds, tomorrow I was going to go to the Impact Area and ask them there.

G

imported post

Felid`Maximus wrote:
Welcome to the forum.

While Alaska law may allow for carry at 14,  Federal law applies to "juveniles" (under the age of 18) possessing a handgun. 18 U.S.C. § 922(x)(2), (5).   I'm not an expert on this law so under some exceptions it might be doable.

Federal law does not apply for the possession of long guns however.

It's a huge gray pretty much.

akhunter3

imported post

Reno82 wrote:

Ok, educate yourself on state law. Until then, stop giving incorrect advice. NO CCW is required up here, long guns AND handguns can be bought at 18. (long guns are ok at dealers, handguns may be bought from a private party)

I, like the OP, am a young OCer. To answer your question, you can, at 17, OC. You will, I believe (memory's a tad foggy) need a signed note from your parents saying you are A.O.K. to OC.

You CAN carry concealed, while outdoors hiking, fishing, hunting, etc. when under 21. I do NOT remember the exact age, either 16 or 18. In the city you cannot carry concealed until you are 21. At that time, as stated above, you DO NOT need a CCW.

No carry in- School grounds

Bars

Post Office

Gov. buildings

Federally licensed daycare

There are a few others, but that's most of them. I suggest you spend some time cruising the AK legislation, as it is the only real way to educate yourself about it, there is too much misinformation being passed about, as shown by the poster I just quoted.

Take care and if you have any questions/like to go shoot sometime drop me a PM.

Jon

G

imported post

akhunter3 wrote:
Reno82 wrote:

Ok, educate yourself on state law. Until then, stop giving incorrect advice. NO CCW is required up here, long guns AND handguns can be bought at 18. (long guns are ok at dealers, handguns may be bought from a private party)

I, like the OP, am a young OCer. To answer your question, you can, at 17, OC. You will, I believe (memory's a tad foggy) need a signed note from your parents saying you are A.O.K. to OC.

You CAN carry concealed, while outdoors hiking, fishing, hunting, etc. when under 21. I do NOT remember the exact age, either 16 or 18. In the city you cannot carry concealed until you are 21. At that time, as stated above, you DO NOT need a CCW.

No carry in- School grounds

Bars

Post Office

Gov. buildings

Federally licensed daycare

There are a few others, but that's most of them. I suggest you spend some time cruising the AK legislation, as it is the only real way to educate yourself about it, there is too much misinformation being passed about, as shown by the poster I just quoted.

Take care and if you have any questions/like to go shoot sometime drop me a PM.

Jon

Thanks, that really helped, I'll rummage around the state laws and find out for sure. I appreciate the help.

G

imported post

Thanks, that should make it easier to find.

Flintlock

imported post

Cpt. Matt wrote:
Thanks, that should make it easier to find.
The links to virtually all the firearms related state laws are posted on the Alaska section through various threads on this site..

G

imported post

I got it, it's 18 to OC, Oct. 4 and I can open carry!

G

imported post

AbNo wrote:
That's gonna be a LOOOOONG year.... :lol:

Incredibly long, I also noticed on the homepage it has maps of various gun laws, on the OC age it said OC age in Alaska was 14, who ever is in charge of the site should probably change that, that could end someone in serious trouble.

akhunter3

imported post

I'm fairly sure (read positive)that if you look you can OC under the age of 18, you simply have to have signed paperwork stating your parents are A.O.K. with it.

Jon

Baradium

imported post

akhunter3 wrote:
I'm fairly sure (read positive)that if you look you can OC under the age of 18, you simply have to have signed paperwork stating your parents are A.O.K. with it.

Jon

What he said.

The law specifically mentions open carry under 18. There are segments regarding on your actual land and in the wilderness and in town.

G

imported post

Baradium wrote:
akhunter3 wrote:
I'm fairly sure (read positive) that if you look you can OC under the age of 18, you simply have to have signed paperwork stating your parents are A.O.K. with it.

Jon

What he said.

The law specifically mentions open carry under 18.  There are segments regarding on your actual land and in the wilderness and in town.

I honestly can't find anything about it under 18, and I asked someone, a very reliable someone, and he said it is 18, I'm not trying to say that you wrong, but I can't find anything about it, if someone could tell me were exactly to look, it would be much obliged.

Baradium

imported post

I'll try to look in the laws some again when I get back to Alaska tomorrow. Do a search through the laws.... there are some sections dealing specifically when a person under 18 can carry. The problem is you aren't looking so much for laws as *exceptions* to the laws.

G

imported post

Baradium wrote:
I'll try to look in the laws some again when I get back to Alaska tomorrow.    Do a search through the laws.... there are some sections dealing specifically when a person under 18 can carry.  The problem is you aren't looking so much for laws as *exceptions* to the laws.

I'll look around, so far all I've found is that you can be, I think 16, and conceal carry if you hunting, hiking or doing outdoor stuff.

Baradium

imported post

Cpt. Matt wrote:
Baradium wrote:
I'll try to look in the laws some again when I get back to Alaska tomorrow. Do a search through the laws.... there are some sections dealing specifically when a person under 18 can carry. The problem is you aren't looking so much for laws as *exceptions* to the laws.

I'll look around, so far all I've found is that you can be, I think 16, and conceal carry if you hunting, hiking or doing outdoor stuff.
You sure it said "concealed?"

Baradium

imported post

Cpt. Matt wrote:

Ok, I was a bit off...

[align=left]Sec. 11.61.220. Misconduct involving weapons in the fifth degree.[/align]

[align=left]
tab.gif
(a) A person commits the crime of misconduct involving weapons in the fifth degree if the person[/align]

[align=left](3) being an unemancipated minor under 16 years of age, possesses a firearm without the consent of a parent or guardian of the minor;[/align]

[align=left]
[/align]

[align=left][/align]

[align=left]This is your general open carry. You can open carry at 16. You can also have one under 16 if you have parental consent. [/align]

[align=left]In the same section, there is a bit about CONCEALED carry. I quoted the letteredheader section again for clarity.[/align]

[align=left]
[/align]

[align=left](a) A person commits the crime of misconduct involving weapons in the fifth degree if the person[/align]

[align=left] (6) is less than 21 years of age and knowingly possesses a deadly weapon, other than an ordinary pocket knife or a defensive weapon, that is concealed on the person.[/align]

[align=left]
tab.gif
[/align]

[align=left](b) In a prosecution under (a)(6) of this section, it is an affirmative defense that the defendant, at the time of possession, was[/align]

[align=left]
tab.gif
(1) in the defendant's dwelling or on land owned or leased by the defendant appurtenant to the dwelling; or[/align]

[align=left]
tab.gif
(2) actually engaged in lawful hunting, fishing, trapping, or other lawful outdoor activity that necessarily involves the carrying of a weapon for personal protection.[/align]

[align=left]
tab.gif
(c) The provisions of (a)(2) and (4) of this section do not apply to a peace officer acting within the scope and authority of the officer's employment.[/align]

[align=left]
[/align]

[align=left]The exemptions are ONLY for (a)6 which is CONCEALED at under 21. (b) is another section, it's not a header under (6).[/align]

[align=left][/align]

[align=left]For clarification under this section the tabs work in this form. (a) (1) (A) (i)[/align]

[align=left]Lower cased letters aren't under any of the text above them, they are only under the basic definition (in this case the phrase: "Misconduct involving weapons in the fifth degree." at the top). the normal numbers (1) are under the previous letter only, capital letters only under the number above it as well as the lower case letter defining it.[/align]

[align=left][/align]

[align=left]So, if you're 16 or older you can carry (under 16 with parental permission). If you are 21 and over your carrying can be concealed... and there are exemptions to allow you to conceal carry under 21 in certain circumstances.[/align]