• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Non-Resident Massachusetts

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I am about 1/2 through the process of becoming a Non-Resident Massachusetts License to Carry (LTC) Instructor.

Mass honors noother statepermits and the fee is $100 a year.

Any interest?

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

I thought about taking that instructor course but when I tried to gauge the level of interest in Massachusettes permits, it didnt seem like a productive endeavor for us.

I'd be interested in your thoughts on how the instructor class/process was...

Jim

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
I thought about taking that instructor course but when I tried to gauge the level of interest in Massachusettes permits, it didnt seem like a productive endeavor for us.

Jim

Well, in an 8.5 hour course I lost count of the number of times the instructor pointed a gun at me....lost count at 600. Funny thing is, that was not the worst of it..:what:

Another instructor, for the shooting trainer, (no live fire thank God!) checked peoples sight alignment by getting on the other side of the gun and looking down the barrel at the shooter....:what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what:

I even got 'talked to' by the classroom instructor for pointing the gun at the ground whenever he walked in front of me. :banghead:

zoom6zoom

imported post

Bruce, I've been thinking about the MA permit since the rest of my family lives there. The cost and the uncertainty of the process is what's been holding me back. I would hate to go through all that and then not get a "Class A" permit. My understanding is that you have to take a new class for renewals, too. I'd definitely be interested in learning more about it.

I escaped from there a long time ago, but was very active in GOAL (their version of VCDL) while I was there.

PM'd you my contact info.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

pourshot wrote:
Well, in an 8.5 hour course I lost count of the number of times the instructor pointed a gun at me....lost count at 600. Funny thing is, that was not the worst of it..:what:

Another instructor, for the shooting trainer, (no live fire thank God!) checked peoples sight alignment by getting on the other side of the gun and looking down the barrel at the shooter....:what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what:

I even got 'talked to' by the classroom instructor for pointing the gun at the ground whenever he walked in front of me. :banghead:
It ain't funny but YES it is!

Yata hey

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Do you happen to know if the Massachusett's permit requires some sort of registration for the firearm and ammunition to be carried while carrying concealed. If the answer is "yes" then I'd probably avoid getting it, but if the answer is "no" then I might consider it just because my employer has an office in Massachusetts and at some point I may be asked to travel there.

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

jmelvin wrote:
Do you happen to know if the Massachusett's permit requires some sort of registration for the firearm and ammunition to be carried while carrying concealed. If the answer is "yes" then I'd probably avoid getting it, but if the answer is "no" then I might consider it just because my employer has an office in Massachusetts and at some point I may be asked to travel there.
I do not believe it is 'welded' to a gun or ammo. Just a firearm in general.

ProShooter

imported post

pourshot wrote:
ProShooter wrote:

Jim

I think that I mighthave needed to smack someone who did that!

Once, maybe twice I could see happening (although it shouldnt), but 600+ ?

nova

imported post

pourshot wrote:

"Hey quit pointing the gun at the ground! Can't you see I'm trying to look down the barrel?!"

:lol::lol:

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

pourshot wrote:
I am about 1/2 through the process of becoming a Non-Resident Massachusetts License to Carry (LTC) Instructor.

Any interest?
Yes interested, and Utah training as well.

ProShooter

imported post

longwatch wrote:
pourshot wrote:

Any interest?
We have a Utah class scheduled for Nov 29 and the Ashland Bass Pro Shop

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

longwatch wrote:
pourshot wrote:

Any interest?
Utah class tomorrow - interested?

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

pourshot wrote:
longwatch wrote:
pourshot wrote:

Any interest?
Utah class tomorrow - interested?
Sorry got to be at work.

Infidel

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
longwatch wrote:
pourshot wrote:

Any interest?
Proshooter, Do you have another Utah class planned before Jan. 20th? I can't make this one.

ProShooter

imported post

Infidel wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
longwatch wrote:
pourshot wrote:

Any interest?
Proshooter, Do you have another Utah class planned before Jan. 20th? I can't make this one.

Yes, Dec 14th 10am-3pm

jermflux

imported post

I have my MA non res LTC. I did not have to take a special class for it. As long as the permit that you carry for the the state you live in is non restricted than you will have no problem. Do to an incident that happened some years ago involvinga womanfrom out of state disarming before entering MA then being killed at a rest stop all Non-res permits are aproved, period. Just put "personal protection" for the reason you need it and that is it. MA does not require a non res to register his or her firearm for the permit or for carriyng. You must follow their hi cap laws though which means only ten round mags or less can be used.

hope this helps