• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Danville

1trumpet01

imported post

Any one out there live in or near Danville,Va. If so let me know what stores are friendly and which are not.Also who to contact about hand gun training in the area.My wife and I are going to get out cc permit and my daughter is in college and wants to oc when she can. She'll be 19 in Jan. Thanks, Jim <><

Bubba Ron

imported post

Welcome to OCDO Jim, I'll let someone closer to you give some specifics on "friendly stores" in your area but as a general rule, we open carry into all stores that do not display the "No Guns Allowed" sticker prominently on their entrance door. If they ask us to leave, then we leave and spend our money where people support our 2nd Amendment rights. Also, open carry is legal in Virginia for law-abiding citizens who are 18 and older. That's Virginia law - they can't purchase a handgun or buy ammo for it but they can carry one!! It is highly recommended that you all take at least one course and hopefully more, and also become very familiar as to where you can and more importantly can't carry in Virginia. Use the "search" feature on this site, you'll find lots to read.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

1trumpet01 wrote:
Any one out there live in or near Danville,Va. If so let me know what stores are friendly and which are not.Also who to contact about hand gun training in the area.My wife and I are going to get out cc permit and my daughter is in college and wants to oc when she can. She'll be 19 in Jan. Thanks, Jim <><
Welcome to OCDO.

You simply presume that a store or business is "friendly" until you see other indicators. Wal-Mart is a good place to start. CCing (requires permit) is obviously easier in that they will not repond negatively to what they are not aware. OCing is my preference though and produces more educational contacts and OC requires no permit for over 18 yo.

You do not state which college your daughter attends - most schools have rules against guns :( and will potentially expell students for violation on campus. These same schools with the exception of VCU and George Mason cannot restrict the general public - this has not been tested yet.

Someone else will have to give you suggestions as to handgun training in your area - is it to be basic, for permit or more advanced training that you seek?

Hope this gives you a start.

Yata hey

1trumpet01

imported post

We have all had hunter safety, which qualifies in Va.,I would just like for us to take a formal handgun course.I would like to start with the basics for us all. My daughter attends college in N.C,but when she comes home she wants to carry. She carries mase with her at all times while at school.As far as Wal-mart a friend of mine was approached in Wal-mart and was told he couldn't carry.He is a retired Marine and stood his ground.The manager had already called Danville's finest and when they arrived they took his pistol.After he educated them on his rights and the store not having a sign or corporate police they gave him his gun back and he continued to shop.He also called his brother and told him to come shop.He also carries : )

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

1trumpet01 wrote:
We have all had hunter safety, which qualifies in Va.,I would just like for us to take a formal handgun course.I would like to start with the basics for us all. My daughter attends college in N.C,but when she comes home she wants to carry. She carries mase with her at all times while at school.As far as Wal-mart a friend of mine was approached in Wal-mart and was told he couldn't carry.He is a retired Marine and stood his ground.The manager had already called Danville's finest and when they arrived they took his pistol.After he educated them on his rights and the store not having a sign or corporate police they gave him his gun back and he continued to shop.He also called his brother and told him to come shop.He also carries : )
Actually Wal-Mart does have a corporate policy of honoring the laws in the state in which they arelocated. There has been some long, drawn out discussion about that here.

Generally, you probably want to comply with a store mgr. if told you cannot carry there and follow through with letters and phone calls - even conversation outside. This will avoid a tresspass charge for refusing to leave. Glad it turned out well though.

Yata hey

tripledipper

imported post

With many of my wifes relatives living in Danville and the surrounding area I get there at leasta couple of times a year. From thediscussions I have had with them, they allhave handguns forpersonal protection along with theirhunting rifles, as this is part ofthe "real" VA. I personallyhave not observed anyOC when out and about there. Are Spotsylvania and Henry difficult or friendly when applying forCHP?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

tripledipper wrote:
snip......
Are Spotsylvania and Henry difficult or friendly when applying forCHP?
That would probably be the least of my worries these days - with state preemption and the results from when a few judges that have tried to drag their feet.

Fill out the form, get printed if required, pay the fee and wait for your CHP. Simply follow the rules - Va. is a shall issue state.:D

Remember that SS # cannot be demand and no self-addressed stamped envelope can be either.

Yata hey

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

tripledipper wrote:
With many of my wifes relatives living in Danville and the surrounding area I get there at leasta couple of times a year. From thediscussions I have had with them, they allhave handguns forpersonal protection along with theirhunting rifles, as this is part ofthe "real" VA. I personallyhave not observed anyOC when out and about there. Are Spotsylvania and Henry difficult or friendly when applying forCHP?
Yeah, I like that.

You can see where I live and I can tell you that most people up here have an attitude towards Virginians in the "real" Virginia that is condescending in the least, and down right arrogant otherwise. It pisses me off because their taint has corrupted a fine state with historically traditional American ideals. Just heard one yesterday in our work cafeteria when he was ordering his sandwich, talking about how glad he was to leave Tennessee. Hope my fellow sister state Tennesseeans were happy to see him leave as well.

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

tripledipper wrote:
Are Spotsylvania and Henry difficult or friendly when applying forCHP?
Spotsylvania is easy/friendly. At least it was when I applied a few years ago. It took 33 days to process the permit. They make you come to the court house to pick up the permit. They ask you to verify the info is correct and then sign it in their presence. Then, they laminate it for you and you're on you way.

The clerks I dealt with were professional and followed the procedures. I did the change of address process at the clerks office on Thursday. I was in and out with the updated permit in less than 15 minutes. They even apologized on Thursday for taking so long.

1trumpet01

imported post

The thread kinda got hijacked.I just want to know if any one out there is from Danville or close by.