• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Once again, The Salt Lake Tribune offers editorial trash.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_10930181

Assault weapons

Tribune Editorial

Article Launched:11/07/2008 07:47:00 PM MST

Utah gun shops have been doing a brisk business in assault weapons. The reason appears to be that customers worry that president-elect Barack Obama will support a new version of the federal assault weapons ban, which was in force between 1994 and 2004.

Here's hoping the worried gun buyers are right.

Not that we are against all guns or the 2nd Amendment. Sporting firearms? Fine. Handguns for self-defense? No problem. We just think that the private arms race should be stopped short of military-style, semi-automatic firearms with large-capacity magazines that are specifically designed to kill a lot of people quickly.

That's the kind of weapon that Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris used to shoot up Columbine High School. The kind of weapon that some trigger-happy paranoid in South Carolina used the other day to pump 29 rounds through his closed front door and walls, killing a 12-year-old trick-or-treater on the shooter's front porch. The shooter says he thought he was being robbed.

Some people would point out, rightly, that the victim would be just as dead if he had been killed by a single shotgun blast. It's the action of the shooter, not the action of the gun, that's the problem.

That's right, as far as it goes. But by that thinking there would be no reason to withhold grenade launchers and artillery pieces from civilians. Society should draw the line on how much firepower it is willing to put into one person's hands. Police officers and the mililtary should be exceptions.

Critics of the previous ban claim it was ineffectual because it outlawed certain features of guns whose action was identical to that of legal hunting rifles. They were right about that, too. It banned 19 specific guns plus certain combinations of military-style features, such as folding stocks and detachable magazines. But the ban wasn't more effective because the National Rifle Association worked hard to make sure it wasn't, and it was easy for manufacturers to evade it.

A new law should focus on accomplishing the intent of the original, banning military-style, semi-automatic weapons with large-capacity magazines that fire many rounds in quick succession.

This isn't about disarming licensed hunters or law-abiding citizens. It's about taking off the market products with a terrible capacity for mayhem.

vanderson@sltrib.com

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

After reading this article, hit the comments section and let them know how you feel about their Anti-American stance.

Vern Anderson is the editor of The Salt Lake Tribunes editorial page, so let him know how you feel as well. vanderson@sltrib.com

ScottyT

imported post

Of course he didn't mention that the whack-job in SC that offed the 12-year-old was a convict and in possesion of the gun illegally -- an AWB would obviously work in that case...

Dumbass...

scorpioajr

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
http://www.sltrib.com/ci_10930181

....We just think that the private arms race should be stopped short of military-style, semi-automatic firearms with large-capacity magazines that are specifically designed to kill a lot of people quickly....
How does owning an Assault Rifle equate to you "wanting to kill a lot of people quickly"???? Never mind that we are already limited to semi-autos (unless you get your tax stamp), at least one could argue the "killing a lot and Quickly" point; would be a key feature of an Automatic, this just shows what a bad spin ANY gun gets, regardless of the facts or design.
This columnist wasn't a friend of yours, ThoughPolice, per chance??? :lol::lol:j/k

A new law should focus on accomplishing the intent of the original, banning military-style, semi-automatic weapons with large-capacity magazines that fire many rounds in quick succession.
Right. they was to get rid of Semi-Auto-Everything! The ONLY way to eliminate the possibility to "firing many rounds in succession" is to go to bolt action, or freakin' muzzle loaders. So aggravating...

suntzu

imported post

Every time I read about "assault weapons" I just want to throw up. I get so sick of hearing the term "assault weapon"--any weapon can be classified an "assault weapon" from the 1911 you carry on your hip to the ball bat that sits along with your mitt and ball ready for a game of baseball. You would think reporters could have more to do than try and fearmonger.

Fear mongers are part of what has this society on edge right now. As a society we are generally afraid of our own shadow--and it is the fear mongering newspapers and government which is responsible for it--but that is I think by design..

scorpioajr

imported post

thoughtpolice wrote:
ProtectedBy9mm wrote:
This columnist wasn't a friend of yours, ThoughPolice, per chance??? :lol::lol:j/k
....... Nope, I heard he was the friend of a guy who buried all his @#$% in his backyard because the military was conducting training exercises close to his house...wait a minute.... paranoid much??:p;):p

Pssshhhh......
..like I'd be stupid enough to do THAT..bury it in my own backyard. Even IF there is any fact to that story; the burial location would most certainly have been at a pre-determined 'bug-out' location, preferably 4wheel access only.... Pshhh...

LovesHisXD45

imported post

ScottyT wrote:
Of course he didn't mention that the whack-job in SC that offed the 12-year-old was a convict and in possesion of the gun illegally -- an AWB would obviously work in that case...

Dumbass...
Hell yeah! You tell em Scotty! :) I also wrote that editor an e-mail letting him know what an ignoramus he really is.

Kevin

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

They claim they are not against "all guns" and even make concessions about hand guns for self defense in this editorial.

But ask them for a list of places they think you should not be allowed to carry and see how it gets. Then ask for a list of places where you should be allowed to carry and see how short it is.

Ask them what other guns should be banned and watch that list grow as they include cheap guns, small guns, larger powerful guns, high powered guns suitable for sniping, and so on and so forth.

Or even ask them to give a working definition of these so-called "assault rifles." Semi-automatic and large capacity magazines describe a LOT of firearms. What they really mean is "scary looking guns." Which to them is most all guns owned by private citizens.

pitythefools

imported post

utbagpiper wrote:
They claim they are not against "all guns" and even make concessions about hand guns for self defense in this editorial.

But ask them for a list of places they think you should not be allowed to carry and see how it gets. Then ask for a list of places where you should be allowed to carry and see how short it is.

Ask them what other guns should be banned and watch that list grow as they include cheap guns, small guns, larger powerful guns, high powered guns suitable for sniping, and so on and so forth.

Or even ask them to give a working definition of these so-called "assault rifles." Semi-automatic and large capacity magazines describe a LOT of firearms. What they really mean is "scary looking guns." Which to them is most all guns owned by private citizens.

it starts with those scary guns, then what shall they oppose? wrist rockets?

my stunning good looks?

But there also is an excess of silly people out there that in my view should be put in rubber rooms that do have guns.

I dont know for sure what the RIGHT answers are. I dont think taking guns fromlevel headedpeople is the answer.

I dont think the answer is going to be found soon.