• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Obama Announces Anti-Gun Agenda Before Even Being Inaugurated.

hitbackfirst

imported post

Taken directly from Obama's Website:

Address Gun Violence in Cities: As president, Barack Obama would repeal the Tiahrt Amendment, which restricts the ability of local law enforcement to access important gun trace information, and give police officers across the nation the tools they need to solve gun crimes and fight the illegal arms trade. Obama and Biden also favor commonsense measures that respect the Second Amendment rights of gun owners, while keeping guns away from children and from criminals who shouldn't have them. They support closing the gun show loophole and making guns in this country childproof. They also support making the expired federal Assault Weapons Ban permanent, as such weapons belong on foreign battlefields and not on our streets.
The NRA addresses the issue here:
http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=4227

Our Right To Keep And Bear Arms is going to be under attack from the moment Obama takes office.

Tomahawk

imported post

BrianEMT wrote:
I doubt he will do anything drastic his first term if he has any hope of being reelected.

Given the messiah complex he is probably laboring under, what with the rejoicing and singing and massive "mandate" vote he got, he's likely to try something ambitious right off the bat while he has the momentum to carry it through the congress. He may pay for it politically, but he won't be thinking about that now.

New administrations often come in with lots of arrogance and little foresight.

shad0wfax

imported post

BrianEMT wrote:
I doubt he will do anything drastic his first term if he has any hope of being reelected.

http://www.ontheissues.org/domestic/Barack_Obama_Gun_Control.htm

Obama is very clearly on the record in multiple cases pushing a hardline anti-gun agenda and failing to acknowledge our second (and tenth)amendment rights.

I suspect he feels that he has absolutely nothing to fear from the so-called conservatives after his landslide victory and that he will encourage the house and senate to be as aggressively anti-gun as possible. You know for a fact he'll never veto any anti-gun legislation.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

It is just a shame that he won't use all these anti-gun laws against
the gitmo detainees.

Charge them in civil court with illegal non taxed firearms, and
explosives. I'll bet the majority had full auto weapons when captured,
and those ied's didn't have there atf stamps. Then you can bury them under
the prison for breaking 'evil' gun laws.

Shame the government only uses those laws against there own citizens.:cuss::cuss:

BrianEMT

imported post

There is a massive difference between being a senator and the President. Although people use the "look at his voting record" BS excuse over and over and over again, I would imagine he might actually have a reasonable 2A outlook.

I hate him just as much as the next guy, but let's be reasonable and see what he DOES first.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

BrianEMT wrote:
There is a massive difference between being a senator and the President. Although people use the "look at his voting record" BS excuse over and over and over again, I would imagine he might actually have a reasonable 2A outlook.

I hate him just as much as the next guy, but let's be reasonable and see what he DOES first.

+1 All this whining is gonna make us like the boy who cried wolf when an actual ban comes down the pike. Right now we just look like a bunch of overparanoid ninnies.

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
BrianEMT wrote:

Given the messiah complex he is probably laboring under, what with the rejoicing and singing and massive "mandate" vote he got, he's likely to try something ambitious right off the bat while he has the momentum to carry it through the congress. He may pay for it politically, but he won't be thinking about that now.

New administrations often come in with lots of arrogance and little foresight.
I agree with Tomahawk.

shad0wfax

imported post

BrianEMT wrote:

I respectfully disagree with you based on the following direct quotes from President Elect Barrack Hussein Obama himself:

• "As a general principle, I believe that the Constitution confers an individual right to bear arms. But just because you have an individual right does not mean that the state or local government can't constrain the exercise of that right, in the same way that we have a right to private property but local governments can establish zoning ordinances that determine how you can use it." 2008 Philadelphia Primary Debate, April 16, 2008
In other words, just because we have the individual right to bear arms, the state and local governments should be able to constrain (infringe)our exercise of that right.

Anyone who agrees with this statement doesn't understand the definition of infringement.

• "I think we can provide common-sense approaches to the issue of illegal guns that are ending up on the streets. We can make sure that criminals don't have guns in their hands. We can make certain that those who are mentally deranged are not getting a hold of handguns. We can trace guns that have been used in crimes to unscrupulous gun dealers that may be selling to straw purchasers and dumping them on the streets." 2008 Philadelphia Primary Debate, April 16, 2008
In short,we needmore legislation on the books to solve a problem that can only be solved with enforcement of existing legislation.

As we all know here, acquiring an illegal gun, illegally acquiring a gun and illegally using a gun are all criminal (or felony) offenses. The people who perpetrate crimes don't give a rip about current laws, so why would additional "common-sense" laws help?

• "I think it's important for us to recognize that we've got a tradition of handgun ownership and gun ownership generally. And a lot of law-abiding citizens use it for hunting, for sportsmanship, and for protecting their families. We also have a violence on the streets that is the result of illegal handgun usage. And so I think there is nothing wrong with a community saying we are going to take those illegal handguns off the streets. And cracking down on the various loopholes that exist in terms of background checks for children, the mentally ill. We can have reasonable, thoughtful gun control measure that I think respect the Second Amendment and people's traditions." 2008 Politico pre-Potomac Primary Interview, February 11, 2008
Read between the lines: What he's saying is that we do have a tradition of handgun ownership, but in communities where violence is a problem, gun bans are justifiable.

I'd like to point out that each of those quotes are not simply his voting record, which speaks very loudly for itself, but are actually from Presidential Primary Debates and Interviews. Combine the views President Elect Barrack Hussein Obama has stated in the primarieswith his absolutely abysmal voting record and you have a very clear picture of what his goals are.

With the above in mind, if you truly believe we are crying wolf and that he's going to be reasonable on the 2nd amendment as the President, you're in for a very rude awakening.

Lastly, remember that it's congress who's going to make the laws, not President Obama (when he becomes the president) and all Obama can do is veto them. Ifanyone seriously thinks he'll veto any anti-gun legislation, I don't hesitate to call that person delusional.

Eagleeye

imported post

FYI: Tiahrt Amendment

The Tiahrt Amendment, prohibits the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) from releasing information from its firearms trace database to anyone other than a law enforcement agency or prosecutor in connection with a criminal investigation. Additionally, any data so released is inadmissible in a civil lawsuit.

Some groups, including the Mayors Against Illegal Guns Coalition, believe that having further access to the BATFE database would help municipal police departments track down sellers of illegal guns and curb crime. These groups are trying to undo the Tiahrt Amendment.

carey

imported post

Hello, I am a new member - I am a wife, mom of 3, and CCW holder (1 semi, 1 revolver, and a shotgun). I decided to get my ccw last year when it was becoming more clear that Obamanation was coming. I believe to my core that he will do whatever he can - starting now - to destroy our 2nd Ammendment rights. If you live in Washington - your rights are under attack right now - there is a bill before your congressmen/women to make it a law that you can only purchase serialized ammo. This would take effect in July of 09 - then by July of 2011, it would be illegal to have any un-serialized ammo. Even if you live in Idaho and go into Washington (with your Utah licence...) you would have to have serialized ammo or you would be breaking the law. That is step one. It will only get worse I am affraid.

imported post

Welcome to the OC forum! it's good to see more females (wives or mothers) exercising their right to carry. and good to see you got a wake up call with the new Obama administration. Carry On! and Carry everywhere!

carey

imported post

Thanks! And I do carry everywhere! First thing I put on in the morning and the last thing I take off at night. Now.... if only I could get the hubby to carry too! =)

G

imported post

carey wrote:
Now.... if only I could get the hubby to carry too! =)
Wow, Its just like that for me too.......:what: 'cept its my Wife. :D