• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kimber Ultra Carry II.

suntzu

imported post

On TGO, an individual has a Kimber .45 ultra carry II for sale for $850. I checked and the magazine holds 7 rds. Is this a good price for this firearm? I was hoping to find something that held at least 10rds, but the .45s I have seen and have been looking at only seem to hold 7-8 rds.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

What you are looking at is a 1911. Is that what you want? I have five of them and love them more than any of my other handguns, but I prefer that platform. So you have to ask yourself: What do I want?Single action?Double action? Single stack? Double stack?

You can get a Springfield XD in .45 that can hold twice as many rounds for almost half the price (850 for a used Kimber Ultra Carryis too much, BTW).

eyesopened

imported post

1911s were originally designed to hold 7 rounds in there magazines. They now make magazines in greater capacity. I have a chip mccormick 10rd mag, but it sticks out about 1.5"-1.75" from the grip. Para also makes double stack 1911s that are 14rd but they are much thicker.

AnXD and even with the compact mag the gun is a 10+1, while the 13rd makes it 13+1

gundoggie

imported post

I have a PARAORD LDA single-stack compact. Great carry, with its short clip. Note that most (all?) 1911 clones, knock-offs or compact versions accept the longer original single-stack mags. I carry mine with it's specific mag, but if I also carry an extra mag, I carry one of the longer ones. In a fire-fight I really don't care if the follow-up mag sticks out the bottom a bit. Plus I use a Chip McC. long mag that has the rubber thingy on the bottom that "captures" the bottom of your hand and helps control the firearm in "battle mode".

Good luck. BTW #1: do check out the ParaOrds for no other reason than the Light Double Action (LDA) trigger. It's spectacular and you don't have to deal with the locked and cocked issues. I used to be a dedicated single action afficionado, but not after the LDA and several years of use and daily carry.

BTW #2: I just found this site and posts this afternoon. Joined up right away. I'm afraid it's not just irrational doom and gloom with regard to Mr. Obama. He now enjoys a large psychological advantage with the lefty masses. He is a very effective orator and charismatic crowd-pleaser. Given the mob of huggie-snuggums urban lefties casting their vote blok, it will be an interesting next 4 (8? 12? 16? Ohhh noooo!!!) years. Schummer, Boxer, Feinstein, Pelosi et al are already moving into place given their "big mandate" and the media lie that this new administration has the backing of a vast new majority of the "thinking, reasonable and intelligent" (versus us?) American public.

When Bush got 51% of the popular vote in '04, it was seen and characterized as representing a vastly polarized America. Now that BHO got 53% (oooooOOOOooo!!), he's got "a stunning new-age mandate for Change!". Hmmm. And watch out: here comes the Fairness Doctrine muzzle. Is it comfy?

open4years

imported post

I have a Kimber Ultra Raptor, which I believe is essentially the same as the Ultra Carry. I think the Ultra Carry has been "smoothed out" for easier concealed carry.

If you want a 1911, and you have decided on the .45 round, and you want single action, and you are willing to sacrafice the number of rounds you carry, this is the gun for you.

Mine is very well made and very light for a .45 1911. Overall, I like it and it is the 1911 that I carry on a regular basis.

open4years

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

If I am not mistaken, the Ultra carry is a small 1911 (which is exactly what I have been looking at!) I shot one of these a few weeks ago and really liked it! It is a little more 'boarish' than a full size, but still very manageable. It is tied with the H&K P2000 .40 for my next gun (just depends on which i find first that is affordable!)

shad0wfax

imported post

Kimber has the new Crimson Pro Carry II and Crimson Custom Carry II line available too.

They retail right around $850 and come with a very neat fitting Crimson Trace Laser Grip that really is unobtrusive.

I'd purchase either of those over the Ultra Carry II, if I was after a Kimber 1911 as a carry gun. They're 7+1 and have aluminum frames.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

suntzu wrote:
On TGO, an individual has a Kimber .45 ultra carry II for sale for $850. I checked and the magazine holds 7 rds. Is this a good price for this firearm? I was hoping to find something that held at least 10rds, but the .45s I have seen and have been looking at only seem to hold 7-8 rds.
No, that's like new price.