• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Expanding my OC horizons

Flyer22

imported post

I really haven't OC'ed all that much, but yesterday I went for a hike while OC'ing. On the way home, I stopped at the 7-11 in Manitou for a drink. That was the first time I've OC'ed in a convenience store, and I'm happy to say that it was completely uneventful. I know that the clerk saw it, because she walked past me whenI hadmy arm up operating the drink station,but she didn't react at all.

ecgoin

imported post

Cool job. I will come out of the closet as soon as I can. I just feel I will perceived as "that gun nut" even if I just take the dog for a walk in the neighborhood. Don't really want to be put on "the list" by home town LEO's either. I hope I'm just paranoid. I don't really want the CC for the same reason. I have heard that permit holders are in the CBI database of persons of interest, or something like that. It's the general perp list.

wndedwolf

imported post

ec, lol dont worry you get used to the whole gun nut label, I've been oc'ing for a year now give or take a few months it was odd at first but it gets easier, i live up in crystal park in manitou and i've gotten a few "why you carrying, worried about bear" comments etc. but you just learn to either blow it off or use it as a teaching experience, and as far as the "persons of interest" issue thats up to the leo or sheriff of the county, i know in denver once you get your cc the leo's put a warrant on your name to note that your a cc'er, in el paso county they do not, so if your concerned about that check with your local leo's. And good job flyer

ecgoin

imported post

Thanks for input wolf!

Sooo. If 2 or 3 people are out together, say at the localArbys OCing, is that enough to be considered a gang? I have to think that LE would consider 2 or more with weapons a real threat. From what I've read on state regulations, maybe they could even make a case for illegal militia. I would rather hang with others, at least friends, whether they are OCing or not.

(some) LEO needs to realize that OC is an asset, not just another nutjob with a weapon.

I do feel strongly about 2nd ammendment, 1st 5th ... ALL rights. Hope we don't lose any of them. Ever.

ecgoin

imported post

Sorry, agreed, I mean fed regs. I don't believe we can have an organized militia that is not organized by the state. Colorado has no such militia (except National Guard and Reserves). And "militia" sounds kinda gray from what I've seen.Of course you, or I, would have to self incriminate, or the fed would have to have some tangible proof.

I can't seem to find the regulations I had read some days ago. I'll look a little harder. I still wonder if LE could construe 2-3OCer's an illegal militia. I suppose if they could, any shooting range could be deemed to be militia training. Probably just paranoia on my part again. I'll work on that.

Thanks for making me think again.

wndedwolf

imported post

lol, ok ecgoin, put the coffee cup down and step away slowly, seriously though, the paranoid thing is natural especially in the current and future climate we find ourselves running headlong into, but like i said before start out slow if you need to just wear your holster empty for a few days or a couple weeks then wear your gun only to places you feel completely comfortable and slowly expand your carry. it shouldnt be scary but it is, at least it was for me.

SANDCREEK

imported post

My experience OC in Colorado Springs area has been uneventful, but incouraging. Perception of the OC person by others is going to affect any reaction. I am 66, very "gray", usually ,but not always out and about with my wife who is disabled. So - I don't think we"alarm" many folks.I think I look very "retired military".

I've expressed this before - but it warrants repeating. How we present ourselves will determine how others react to us. My primary motivationfor OC is to create a safer environment for my wife and myself at home, and while we're out & about. If this also creates a safer environment for others who frequent the same establishments - that's a plus. I hope that when others observe my OC condition, the idea is instilled in their minds that they too can take responsibility for their personal safety.

My goal - that my situational awareness "radar" is always on. If I ever perceive that my OC is making someone "nervous", I will re-evaluate my presentation, style, demeanor. appearance, attire, disposition, posture, etc.When I OC in public I think I am on a "dance floor" - and my goal is to go with the flow, not step on toes, and be perceived as someone you would be comfortable sharing the "dance floor" with. My goal is that the only people "uncomfortable" in my presence would be those prospectingfor gain by criminal means.

wndedwolf

imported post

i agree sandcreek, i try to at least look presentable most of the time when i'm out and about and as a former marine i am alert and sure of myself but not overtly "stepping on toes" either.

Gunslinger

imported post

El Paso county is the most gun friendly area you can find--anywhere. The majority of people wouldn't even look a second time. If they do, they probably are from Kalifornia on their way to Boston...although I don't generally OC, when I have there has never been a second look. When the Sheriff openly and repeatedly urges residents to get their CCWs--and sends a personal letter congratulating them when they do, it speaks for itself.

ecgoin

imported post

I certainty do thank you guy's for the input!

The dance floor analogyis about right on.
I will make myself presentable. I look about my age, mid 50's, and a "Joe the plumber" type worker bee. T-shirt and jeans or shorts, cargo style. Shoulder length hair and a ball cap. I am going to pony the hair. I am aware of the folks around me, and have eye contact and a howdy often. I'm definitely the hold the door for ya type, and the thank you type.

I probably won't really scare folks to badly. I ampretty sure some will feel intimidated from 6'height and semi slender. Some seem that way withoutOCing. I seem to be in dirty looking painter whites a lot, may be where I perceive that. Will notsubject a weapon,or even holster to work for the dirty job I have.

If I can get the wife to go out with me, that'll help. Although she's more likely to tell you you're a butt than I am. I think I'll carry her on the strong side. She does smile and say hi often. gotta be a good thing.

Thanks again CO OC (that spells kook, hmmm:shock:) guys. Will carry sooner rather than later. As the economy gets worse, theBG's get more brazen.

wndedwolf

imported post

The only other thing i would recommend it to browse around a bit on the forum and look at some of the more reasonable comments when someone does comment or approach you so when it does happen, and eventually it will, you wont be caught with the deer in the headlights look ;o) and i agree with you gunslinger i love the attitude in el paso county, havent oc'd much outside of here but from what i've read on the forums el paso is the most accepting with the fewest encounters. though there have been some.

Kimberdude

imported post

My experiences with OC have been anticlimatic at best, very low key. Have stood in line at Subway more than once, with the wife or without, and not a single comment but did get a few hard looks, not at me but at holstered revolver. Actually had one person ask me if I had a Kimber when packing my 1911, which by the way IS a Kimber. Have been in several convenience stores either on the way to the range or coming back, nothing to note there either.

One thing...I am clean cut, short grey hair, clothes always clean and neat, polite, a door opener, I think makes a huge difference in perception/reception.

wndedwolf

imported post

I agree kimberdude, most of the time i look like the average joe type short almost bald head usually a goatee, although some people take that as looking like a biker lol, clothes neat most of the time, the only time i might look like a "rifleman" is usually when i'm on my way to my fav shooting spot then i look a bit more "tactical/militant/insert fear-mongering statement" like i noted earlier i believe, i've been oc'ing for over a year and it seems like most sheeple are in condition white and never even notice, and if they do it's not theatening.